Stalling and Cutting out?

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Huber Tuber, May 4, 2006.

1. jimboecv

jimboecv n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks for that insight.
  2. C.Fowler

C.Fowler Motorcycle Grandma

Oddometer:
    Your welcome.
  3. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cleaned out my carbs and put a good fuel filter in the line, and haven't had much problem. But it could be I am not over-filling and loading up the carbon-canister any more.
  4. rolo tomassi

rolo tomassi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, I've NEVER had s single problem like this. :clap
  5. busted knuckle

busted knuckle SuperE

Oddometer:
    When gasoline sits for a few months (especially in colder climes) the fuel can separate (chemically). The result is usually a varnish like substance that essetially glues (goos?) the idle jet passage(s), float bowl(s), etc. and the engine will not idle. It may start and run but only on high rpms, the engine quitting at low rpms. Happens in lawn mowers, outboards, etc. Solution is usually to add fuel stabilizer in winter. However, how that chemical reacts with the newer plastic tanks may prove that deterrant more trouble than it's worth. A possible solution is to close the fuel petcock (funny name huh?) and run the engine until all fuel is used up. Better yet woud be to unscrew the fuel bowl drain plug(s) and allow it to empty itself. (Albeit a lot of trouble, no?) Draining the fuel tank would also be in order so no separated fuel from the tank is emptied into the clean fuel bowl upon the next start. This is commonly known as a PITA! Short of these solutions, regular usage is the only alternative I know of.
  6. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    bump
  7. fireproof46

fireproof46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2008 990adv w/ only 16,000 km has developed this problem too. But the engine only stops if i also pull in the clutch. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Tnx
  8. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fuel filter?
  9. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    The 990 computer uses the signal from the clutch switch to set the idle speed. Check the switch to make sure it is working. Be sure you are pulling the clutch lever all of the way to the grip, or the switch may not activate.
    See the link below for info on bypassing the safety devices for troubleshooting purposes:
    http://ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf.html#990_clutch_bypass
  10. Sapling

Sapling Been here awhile

Oddometer:

After riding mine (2008) in the dirt this weekend I think I am victim of the trailing thottle cut off...

If I rolled out of the throttle easy everything is fine.... If I quickly cut the throttle which is easy to do in the whoops with how sensitive the throttle is, it is almost like the ignition/fuel is cut and it slowly revs down until you pull the clutch then it dies.... I flip the kill switch off and back on and hit the start button it fires right back up...

Did it at least 10-15 times and was a complete annoyance and very dangerous when the front tire goes into a whoop and there is no power to keep the tire up. I had to completely change what I was doing or I would have been tossed over the bars. (Big whoops!)

I am hoping the clutch bypass in the link above will make this go away... Seems like a very strange feature to put on a bike at all!!

It doesn't starve for fuel any other time so I don't think it is fuel filter related. It was a definite loss in fuel or ignition controlled by the ECU at the same time as getting out of the throttle.

Any other advice??
  11. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    The fuel cutoff "feature" was installed by the factory to improve emissions. It is only active above 5k rpm, throttle off, in gear, and clutch lever not pulled in.

There are '07/'08 LC8 owners who report that they have fixed or considerably improved the fueling of their bikes with TuneUCU. Looks like this will all soon become a non issue. Just sayin' :evil
  12. Sapling

Sapling Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I know your a pro at these but I'm just getting here from the dirt bike world...:ear

I have no issue with the Thotttle on this bike....:D There is lots of it...:clap to ride it aggressively well above 5K RPMS and have the thottle cut is a liability to KTM in my mind...

I appreciate the info in your link above or I would have not known what it was... Mine will now be disabled and I will be running from those bears in the woods full time!!:lol3

I have been following the TuneECU threads closely... I would also love to use it to turn my idle up!
  13. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just had my engine rebuilt after the bike got hot and now the engine runs fine up to about 4500 RPM them starts cutting out really bad at around 5000RPM.
    Any insight?
  14. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    Read through some of the items here and see if any fit your scenario.