Standing on pegs ILLEGAL?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Loomdog, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Loomdog

Loomdog Where's that trail again?

Oddometer:
    Myself and 4 other riders were all approached and informed today by a Gilpin County Sheriff while on the dirt road to Rollins Pass that it was illegal to stand up on your pegs on a County, State Rd or Highway in Colorado. It is considered unlawful operation of a motorcycle and we could all be citied with a 3 point violation, anyone ever heard of this or been ticketed?
  2. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    I have heard that. Supposedly because you can't see what's behind you in your mirrors. Pretty moronic.
  3. RLK

RLK RLK KLR

Oddometer:
    Its illegal. Keep your butt on the seat. See Colorado Revised Statutes Colorado Revised Statutes Title 42 Vehicles and Traffic § 42-4-1502 -

(1) A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent seat if designed for two persons or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle at the rear or side of the operator.

(2) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle only while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on either side of the motorcycle. - See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-4...v-st-sect-42-4-1502.html#sthash.3nKh75ac.dpuf

- See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-4...v-st-sect-42-4-1502.html#sthash.3nKh75ac.dpuf
    lexaria, lnewqban and 9Realms like this.
  4. pancake

pancake Better with bacon!

Oddometer:
    According to CO 42-4-1502, we should have our asses firmly planted in the seat. That's stupid. Sometimes my ass hurts and I need to stand up.

42-4-1502. Riding on motorcycles - protective helmet

(1) A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent seat if designed for two persons or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle at the rear or side of the operator.

(2) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle only while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on either side of the motorcycle.

(3) No person shall operate a motorcycle while carrying packages, bundles, or other articles which prevent the person from keeping both hands on the handlebars.

(4) No operator shall carry any person nor shall any person ride in a position that will interfere with the operation or control of the motorcycle or the view of the operator.

(4.5) (a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this subsection (4.5), a person shall not drive or ride as a passenger on a motorcycle or low-power scooter on a roadway unless:

(I) Each person under eighteen years of age is wearing a protective helmet of a type and design manufactured for use by operators of motorcycles;

(II) The protective helmet conforms to the design and specifications set forth in paragraph (b) of this subsection (4.5); and

(III) The protective helmet is secured properly on the person's head with a chin strap while the motorcycle is in motion.

(b) A protective helmet required to be worn by this subsection (4.5) shall:

(I) Be designed to reduce injuries to the user resulting from head impacts and to protect the user by remaining on the user's head, deflecting blows, resisting penetration, and spreading the force of impact;

(II) Consist of lining, padding, and chin strap; and

(III) Meet or exceed the standards established in the United States department of transportation federal motor vehicle safety standard no. 218, 49 CFR 571.218, for motorcycle helmets.

(c) A person driving or riding a motorcycle need not wear a helmet if the motorcycle has:

(I) Three wheels;

(II) A maximum design speed of twenty-five miles per hour or less;

(III) A windshield; and

(IV) Seat belts.

(5) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class A traffic infraction.

(HB 09-1026), ch. 281, p. 1283, § 63, effective October 1.L. 2015: IP(4.5)(a) amended and (4.5)(c) added, (HB 15-1345), ch. 330, p. 1347, § 3, effective August 5.

Editor's note: This section is similar to former § 42-4-1302 as it existed prior to 1994, and the former § 42-4-1502 was relocated to § 42-4-1703.

[​IMG]
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  5. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    What a waste of police resources. :csm
    ridenm, cmattina, _CJ and 9 others like this.
  6. pancake

Oddometer:
    I suppose it's easier to stop a rider for standing up than it is to stop the eleventy billion assholes smoking pot whilst driving. Yay, Coloraydo.
    kojack06, JeepDawg, _CJ and 4 others like this.
  7. pancake

Oddometer:
    On closer inspection of the rule set, I'm glad to see that I don't need to wear a helmet if I wear a seat belt. On a motorcycle. We vote for these idiots that write this shit.... sigh......
    Bad Wolf, DisqoG, lnewqban and 10 others like this.
  8. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    ^:lol2
  9. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    I was pulled over two years ago on a county road outside of Loveland by a Larimer County Sheriff for riding while standing on the pegs. I was informed that it was unsafe, and she wanted to assure I am not "stunting". She checked my license and registration, admired my at the time unscratched 690 Enduro, and bid me farewell. I told her that I appreciate her watching out for me wished her a great day. I then rode home to look it up, and found this:

Colorado Motorcycle Operator’s Handbook, pg. 10, paragraph 8.2 Uneven Surfaces and Obstacles:

Watch for uneven surfaces such as bumps, broken pavement, potholes. If you have to ride over them, or obstacles such as a piece of tire tread or tailpipe, slow down to reduce the jolt, make sure the motorcycle is straight up and rise slightly off the seat with your weight on the foot pegs so you can absorb the shock with your knees and elbows. Rising off the seat will cut your chances of being thrown off the bike. However, controlling the throttle can be somewhat tricky. Practice this technique in a safe area (such as a deserted parking lot) before you try to do it on-street.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/Motorcycle Operator's Handbook.pdf

I also love that the cover of the handbook shows a 640 Adventure...
    Bartimus, cmattina, lexaria and 4 others like this.
  10. pancake

Oddometer:
    Your example is really the right thing to do.. Be polite, answer their questions.. show your papers.
    DisqoG likes this.
  11. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    So next time this happens to anyone, you have two options:

1. Sit your butt down, and say sorry.
    2. Or chance it and tell the officer that you were merely "cutting your chances of being thrown off the bike" as per page 10, paragraph 8.2 of the Colorado Motorcycle Operator's Handbook. Just don't stand on the pegs, rise slightly off the seat :ricky
    lexaria, DisqoG and eakins like this.
  12. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    But officer, I'm almost 7ft. tall. A slight rise only looks as if I was standing...
  13. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod They teach that in MSF too. Just another "catch all" excuse to pull you over.
    JustinP likes this.
  14. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    I am wondering what they would do if you upholstered a seat using so much foam that it basically has you standing. The "Legislator" by Seat Concepts bwahaha :jack
    DisqoG, IB Mike, thechief86 and 4 others like this.
  15. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    Back to riding: was Rollins Pass rideable all the way to the barrier shy of the tunnel?
    bobfab and jjmead1 like this.
  16. Bushyar15

Bushyar15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads-up on the law!
  17. MurphCO

MurphCO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well speeding is illegal too so call me a 1% er I guess.......

I feels like an outlaw
  18. Loomdog

Loomdog Where's that trail again?

Oddometer:
    Sorry, not yet. It wasn't even melted up to the first lake.
  19. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer:
    This is true. Personally I don't do it in-front of law enforcement and if I come around a corner to see them staring at me especially on a dirt road the least of my worries will be standing up on the pegs.
    dirtydoug and nwcolorider like this.
  20. dirtydoug

dirtydoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^