Standing on pegs ILLEGAL?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Loomdog, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Stephenson

Stephenson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have heard that was illegal. I do know that on pavement my mc seat makes my ass and legs numb. I don't know what's better, sitting for safety and not feeling the shifter and brake, or riding standing up under control... : )
  2. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    Just a hunch, but I think that it is safer if you can feel your legs and toes. :freaky

I've had meniscus surgery on one knee, but both of them won't tolerate being bent up for a long time. I probably ride 30% of the time standing, highway and off highway. The Hyper has bar end mirrors, so the left one is angled for standing and the right for sitting. It is amazing how much longer I can ride when I mix it up. It is actually more fun on the highway. The only thing I think that I give up is reaction time on the front brake. When I went to Barber MSP last year, I passed LEOs in NC, GA, and AL, and none went out of their way to stop me. I don't know if it is "again the law" in those states anyway.
  3. RLK

RLK KLR VFR

Oddometer:
    Just another arrow in the quiver of the man. There has to be 800 ways to harass the citizens who are harming nothing. More police state BS. Get used to it.
    racermx66, Cowboy, _CJ and 2 others like this.
  4. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I think ticketing the 'standing on the pegs' thing started with stunters, who were riding down freeways doing standup wheelies, etc.
  5. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Like many, many other laws, it was originally intended to be enforced in specific situations but any officer can enforce it at any time for any reason under the sun including pestering people who aren't doing anything "wrong".
  6. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm aware that it (among many other things) is illegal. Just need to keep an eye out and sit down when you see the popo.
    I'm sure I've been seen standing by the authorities, but never had an incident and don't push my luck.
    I'll stand up on my GS going 65 to get a stretch. Never felt 'out of control'.
    The one thing that I can see as unsafe is that you can't see your mirrors (check your 6).
  7. OrangeDreamCycler

OrangeDreamCycler ...explorer of options.....

Oddometer:
    765e059a5d.jpg
    _CJ, Hammer166, lnewqban and 5 others like this.
  8. 51%

51% ReadyToRide

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Blame the idiots posting videos all over YouTube of people doing all sorts of stunts in traffic on public roads. I'm about ready to quit a mc group on Facebook because it's polluted with too much of that crap glorifying stupid behavior.

I stand up on the bike whenever conditions are such it's beneficial and that includes wanting to stretch. Never been stopped but if it happens I'll apologize and move on.

I do think gray hair under the helmet helps those occasional interactions with John law go easier. I've not been mistaken for a stunter in a while LOL.
    lnewqban likes this.
  9. Wookie97

Wookie97 Wow!That was close.

Oddometer:
    I really doubt many cops will actually stop you. I have ridden past many cops and and wardens on the roads and trails and nothing but a wave. Not saying it won't happen but probably not that often.
  10. bigjohnintexas

bigjohnintexas Here we go again... Supporter

Oddometer:
    B.S., cops aren't out trying to make laws to harass or arrest anyone. Everyone who votes is just as culpable because it is the politicians who make the laws. Stop blaming cops and start educating yourself on how laws are made. Reach out to your polititians and let them know your thouhht so they can change these idiotic laws. I reach out monthly to my representatives to inform them of issues I EXPECT them to address. If they don't, I don't vote for them again.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Most laws are made with good intentions, but some laws have unintended consequences. This is one of them. Blame your representives and the idiots who cause public outcry to the point that hastily written bills are introduced and passed into law.
  11. 51%

51% ReadyToRide

Oddometer:
    Big John, I agree with your position; that said ADV riders don't have the demographic weight to affect those laws. Now if cruiser riders decided to start standing, then something would happen.
    bigjohnintexas likes this.
  12. youngan

youngan -------

Oddometer:
    Standing on a cruiser would require a higher degree of athleticism than most cruiser riders (or others) could likely muster.... ;-)
    dirtydoug and 51% like this.
  13. goodburbon

goodburbon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding to work today I saw just that. no Helmet, no gear, climbs up and stands on the seat of his metric cruiser for what looked like just a leg stretch... I don't feel bad for standing on my pegs, ever.
  14. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    We need fewer laws, not necessarily better written ones.
    303BCOD, jtwest, Hammer166 and 2 others like this.
  15. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big J, you have to excuse RLK, he smokes a lot of pot and tends to get paranoid over cops and "the man".
    You are correct in cops don't make the laws, but they do enforce them. An amount of leeway is included as to what charge, if any is administered.
    Standing on pegs, on a dirt type bike, on a dirt road should not even be on this sheriffs radar. But it was, and IMO was a dick move. Just cause a person has a bit of authority, doesn't mean being a reasonable person in situations is thrown out the window in favor of this type of behavior. No different than cops speeding all over, they do it and get away with it, unlike the citizens they are sworn to protect. Not all, but it is certainly not a rare occurrence. I treat all persons with the same respect as given, and expect even more from persons in a position of authority.
    Standing up on the pegs has, IMO also gotten out of control. Stretching for a few moments sure, no problem. But I saw a couple, man and women, standing on pegs all the way down Colorado Blvd out of site. The guy was standing, IMO, to get others to look at him. The women followed suit, even though she was struggling with controlling the bike. This type of behavior should of warranted a stop and chat, unlike the other on the dirt road up Rollins Pass.
    If the police would garner a bit of restraint, instead of coming off like dicks, it would certainly go a long way to helping them with others and the attitude you saw here from other inmates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dirtydoug, Hammer166 and lnewqban like this.
  16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I agree Bash, when I see someone riding around traffic standing up (outside of a stretch) the first thing that comes to my mind is poser, probably because I know it's illegal and has been in many areas for a long time. Much of the time it's some guy on either a stunt or adv bike.

I doubt that was the OPs intent but as he found out it's illegal and brings unwanted attention. No surprise there, wheelies have the same effect. On a dirt road is a different story, plenty of times one needs to stand up to see over a rise since there's a fair chance the vehicle coming at you will be crowding your side of the road. Ticketed in that situation is a dick move.
  17. thechief86

Oddometer:
    My bike's seat sucks, so I stand up sometimes for a few minutes. This law is stupid.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So memorize and quote that page and paragraph and gist of the wording if stopped.
    Cops quote regs and code...do the same back at them!

Or better yet print it out and keep on your bike.
  19. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Some guys from Compton had a neat song about it...
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yep you were "slightly rising" off your safe for safety reasons...it's in the book and I was taught to do that.