Standing on pegs ILLEGAL?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Loomdog, Jun 11, 2017.

1. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:

I could only hear Jack Blade's Jersey voice when I read that ^ :lol3
    "Go home! You couldn't handle this freedom anyhow!"

[​IMG]
  2. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bwahahaha LMFAO
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  3. WFO1

WFO1 Living the Dream Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any cop that enforced this law is an ASSHOLE!
    jaystonewee likes this.
  4. jwrover

jwrover Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :jack:fingerPerhaps we should Hong Kong or Chile the shit out of this here in CO!!
    Outrageous laws require Disobedience right?
    Hey we could also do this with all the trail closures and such!

nah, better to just comply with law enforcement; they’re always right anyway huh?
    norton(kel) likes this.
  5. jaystonewee

jaystonewee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    75mph zone, however traffic was only going 12mph.

(1) A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent seat if designed for two persons or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle at the rear or side of the operator.

If a person is riding, they they are required to ride upon the permanent/regular seat. It does not detail the requirements for operating a motorcyle outside of the riding position. except for "facing forward" below.

(2) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle only while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on either side of the motorcycle.

The requirement that you shall ride a motorcycle while sitting is redundant.
    Sitting astride with one leg on either side is also redundant.

The law says nothing about OPERATING a motorcycle only while sitting.
  6. jtwest

jtwest Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer:
    My two cents: Dumb!!
    Its no less safe to stand up.. In fact, If you demand that I choose which is safer I would say "standing" without a second thought. I see some say "you cant see your mirrors", but you cant see in your mirrors when you are looking straight ahead. If you need to look in the mirrors then look in the mirrors..
    I also see a lot of "leg stretching" but what about balance, weighting the front or back for traction, looking over vehicles nearby, reaction time to avoid collision ( I think is far faster standing up), better suspension, and stepping off the bike easier if it were to fall over.... I believe I did most of my motorcycle endorsement test standing: slow ride, start/accelerate/stop, cone slolum, etc...The inspector didnt let me finish all the tests she just gave me the endorsement after the first few.
  7. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must stand 90% of the time. Never been stopped....yet.
    norton(kel) likes this.
  8. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    We rode the Kokopelli last week, and after dropping down Rosegarden Hill there are a couple lenghty stretches on sandy roads through pine forests until you join parts of the Paradox Trail. I was coming around a bend and was faced with a dude riding a 1290 Adventure, standing. Fine. Quite some distance between us, so plenty of time for me to make it to the right side of the trail and for him to give some way, maybe... Nope, the man kept tracking straight and true, dead center of the trail as if I was not even there. My brother following a quarter mile behind to stay out of the dust, met him in a turn and was almost taken out by that man. I should have stopped him. He had a pax seated on the pillion. That was just dangerous.

I realize standing or seating would not have mattered, but this subject reminded me of that Klamottenskater (CO Uli will understand).
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I'm not knocking someone that needs to stand up and stretch their legs, I do it but not in traffic and not at 70+ mph on the interstate. But if that's your thing have at it. Don't forget to try out your argument when you get pulled over for it. You'll pay for the pleasure if the cop decides to write you up, seen it happen and you won't win. Standing is not riding on the permanent seat, at that point the seat isn't even in the equation since it's not being used. Section (1) and (2) above doesn't absolve you of the requirement, it mandates that you use the seat. When your standing you aren't using the seat, very plain language that doesn't leave anything open for interpretation.
    eddyturn likes this.
  10. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    And racists who enslaved people and treated women terribly. So...let's keep it in perspective.
  11. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    It's just an easy reason to pull you over. Look, cops are either bored or are in the midst of a real call. Pulling you over gets them out of waiting around for action. Roll with it..
  12. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    This is ultra common sense... Don’t stand up on pavement, in town, or where cops could possibly be. Places where I really have to stand up, there aren’t going to be any LEOs to see it, and god forbid if they saw all the other irresponsible ways I ride in the forest...
    MillennialFalcon likes this.
  13. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know I found it personally hilarious when we were shooting video on 550 and when I would stand on the GS, my son riding pillion would do it as well. We are united against the man!
    jwrover likes this.
  14. Idarider

Idarider R1200GS

Oddometer:
    I have gotten a ticket for turning too wide ( into the left lane), got out of that. On long days (300-600 miles) I always stand up at times and much more on dirt to get my weight forward and see better.
    30 miles was my longest when I was trying to see how far I could go.
    It is very bad for you to keep your legs bent for long periods, clots and such .

I try to avoid doing it in traffic mostly because a lot of drivers see that odd looking bike and quit driving.

I practice a lot to make sure I can operate when standing and with the bar backs the GS is very easy to stand on. The fastway pegs also help with plenty of surface area and very good grip.
  15. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    9110096-S (1).JPG
    This picture is very old. Officer Jerkface, who's attitude may be influenced by the fact he needs to stand on a curb to talk to adults, is telling me how I can't control my bike when stretching my legs in 15 mph traffic. I discussed our relative qualifications to make such an assertion. No ticket. This was 100% an officer exercising his discretion and using it to harass a citizen. I still stand up when I feel like it.
    norton(kel), thechief86, _CJ and 3 others like this.
  16. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meerkat syndrome, tossers riding seated down the road and stand to ride into a parking lot , gas station to show how cool they are , seen it many times .

[​IMG]
    nwcolorider and Proettermann like this.
  17. toslow

toslow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the Bmw ralley this year in Paonia they had a motorcycle state cop that had 20 yrs with the force come and put on a talk and he said there was no law saying you cant stand up??
  18. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    Finally. Thank you. I now learned the term equivalent to the German “Klamottenskater” (skater-by-outfit-only). Tossers. Love it. :D
    shearboy2004 likes this.
  19. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    My seat feels like a 2x4 after 30 miles. Ill stand when I want. Hope you feel great while judging me and my riding preferences. Have a great day.
  20. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Way to stand up for yourself!
    jjmead1, shearboy2004 and 309 like this.