Standing on pegs ILLEGAL?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Loomdog, Jun 11, 2017.

1. roborider

roborider Utah Roborider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Makes a pretty good Adv rig.... 20191019_100626.jpg
  2. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stand up everyday when I ride my bike. Sometimes you just need to stretch out, see what’s going on up ahead or shake the boys out cause they aren’t sitting right.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  3. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    This thread reminded me of one of the consistent quandaries I've faced in life.
    The answer is "Because I can."

[​IMG]
    norton(kel) and jjmead1 like this.
  4. galenparke

galenparke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There used to be an artist here in Jackson, who was hotter than a piss pot with her paint spattered, ripped, tight jeans who would ride here Ducati sport bike standing on the pegs, torso horizontal. I never thought about issuing her a citation for improper riding technique when I saw her riding like that, which was pretty often.
    Good to know it is illegal to stand on the pegs in Colorado, but I could care less if someone wants to stand on the pegs. Many bikes ride comfortably while standing. And for me a leg stretch can feel good, or the view can be a little better, or sensation of flying through the air can be pleasant over hiding behind a windscreen. Sure be safe and logical about the situation, but can't help but feel a bit hampered by such a law.
    thechief86 likes this.
  5. Proettermann

Proettermann The Mule

Oddometer:
    "Officer, thank you for taking an interest in my riding. See, if I am seated at the apex of a turn, I compress my suspension, which increases traction, and consequently tempts me to ride faster. So standing really helps me maintain the speed limit."
  6. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    The justice system (police and public prosecutors) play a MAJOR role in informing the politicians in what laws are needed and how they should be written. Police and prosecutors are in many/most ways, part of the same team and make decisions together.

I'd write more, but then, believe it or now, "I" would be breaking the law.
  7. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Police have the ability to exercise discretion. That is why we do not live in a world like the on depicted in Judge Dredd. Also why we are innocent until proven guilty. Also why we do not get pulled over for doing .5 mile over the limit. speed cameras do not even give you a ticket for that.

I think we all agree here the law is in place to restrict unsafe stunt driving. If the officer has any idea of the purpose of the law they would say "gee, that person is on gravel. they look like they are in control. their controls are tilted down, so perhaps standing is the safest way for them to ride. they are wearing tons of gear and do not look like they are trying to do stunts... etc. etc. etc."
  8. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can ride standing. I can. I can
  9. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    I had to go back and find my post you quoted - two and half years ago. That post was adding to the nonsense the thread had developed into with my own off-topic musing. The KTM 300 XCW is the bee-knees especially for single-track lovers here in The Rockies. And I was in the midst of watching videos of folks stunting on two strokes setup for supermoto.
  10. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    When the sign says speed limit, does it specify upper limit or not. Perhapse I simply assumed lower limit and was attempting to obey the law.

Never had the guts to try that one.

Rod
  11. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Instead of waiting till you get pulled over, how about approaching the chief in your town and having a no-pressure discussion? Back in the 80s when I was stationed at Camp Lejeune I had to go through a mandatory MC safety program before getting my base sticker. The instructor told us that except on cruisers, standing on the pegs was an essential safety tool going over bumps, picking a path across rough sections of pavement, seeing potential hazards over cars that were parallel parked, making yourself visible to cagers turning from or onto side streets, etc. When I shared this with our local chief he agreed it had a lot of merit and educated his officers.
    nwcolorider likes this.
  12. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    There go my big plans for dual sporting a trials bike.
    Rossmoesis and jjmead1 like this.
  13. jwrover

jwrover Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Regardless of the laws in CO. In smaller mountain towns where there are many of us on a summer day; few if any of the Police enforce this law. I for one ride standing on the pegs whenever returning home up Main St. in Ouray. With all the parked, reversing, slow moving vehicles and jay walking pedestrians; the only way to stay safe and see/be-seen is to peg stand. I pass the Police all the time and they just waive...Of course, I have also informed them that they are to stop and ticket #Mountainsandrivers whenever he so much as looks at riding down our Main st. :imaposer:imaposer:war
    norton(kel) and nwcolorider like this.
  14. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the laugh, that right there is funny.
    I've heard some whoppers, but this is top ten easy.
    Meerkating for safety. I'll use your emoji :imaposer
    nwcolorider likes this.
  15. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was wondering why that kept happening. I at first thought it was DUI stops, but even they knew between the watered down drinks and slow service at the Distillery, that could not have been the case. Once my helmet is off and they realize that just me being in their town raises their standards and increases their tourism, they let me go. Apparently they have filmed commercials about me and friends, to bring more Aussie girls over to your box canyon.
    jwrover, FatChance, randingo and 2 others like this.