Starter not engaging

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by armstrongracer, Nov 27, 2019.

1. armstrongracer

armstrongracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode my 950sm (2006 my) to work yesterday, everything seemed ok. When I started bike up to go home all I got was the starter spinning up but the motor not cranking. Ivé had a sprag go before but they tend to announce their displeasure extremely loudly before finally going off in a sulk. Had no noise or trouble before this & it doesn't feel like a sprag. I'll be tearing her down at the weekend. Any ideas?
  2. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    back in France but Soul still in North America
    look for torque limiter/starter issue on the H.O.W
  3. armstrongracer

Oddometer:
    Cheers, I don't think it's a torque limiter/sprag clutch issue. I've replaced one myself in the past and that sounded like a bag of bolts in a spin dryer, even before it finally failed. All I get now is a gentle click - whiring sound.
  4. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine sounded exactly like you discribe and it was the sprag, if they "Go" properly then yes it sounds like a bag ae bolts but if early demise then just whirring.
  5. armstrongracer

Oddometer:
    Did you even get the odd clack beforehand? I've not even had the slightest squeak since sprag was replaced. Before it stopped people in the street as noise was so nasty. Sprag is my best bet, but wondering what the alternatives might be.
  6. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing at all mate, it worked one day and when I went to start it the next just whirring.
  7. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's generally the sprag. Usually rears its head first when it gets cold out and the oil is thick, and then if you can get it started and warmed up it will work okay until it's cold again.
    mountaincadre likes this.
  8. armstrongracer

Oddometer:
    Just taken case cover off, torque limiter is ok, freewheel can be rotated in both directions. "Hello Mr KTM can I have a new sprag please". Oh and I got my descriptions mixed up earlier in the thread, I've replaced the torque limiter before, the freewheel sprag is original. Also, does anyone know if KTM have started supplying LC8 sprags yet or do I have to rebuild using LC4 parts as per the knowledge base.
  9. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. armstrongracer

Oddometer:
    That link confuses me a bit, when you put part number quoted (60039005100) into the KTM fiche, it gives the complete rotor & sprag assy at $500+
  11. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen ones advertised for 950/990 of chinese variety.
  12. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats because you can't buy the sprag separately from KTM thus no part number for it. Look at the diagram in the ad and they have the sprag circled.
  13. armstrongracer

Oddometer:
    Manually rotated the freewheel and it bit. Put everything back & bike started on the button. I'll order parts but not sure how much I can trust the bike not to let me down in the meantime.