Starter relay on a 2009 GSA?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by MarcGSA, Aug 6, 2013.

1. MarcGSA

MarcGSA Flashing Snowflake? 2009 GSA

Oddometer:
    Is there a starter relay on the R1200GSA? None to be found Under the seat??? I have an intermitnt no start or battery drain!!!! Not happy at all! It cost me a battery and two rides.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No relay.

Usually bad battery or battery cable connection.

Jim :brow
  3. MarcGSA

Oddometer:
    Stuck soelenoid? The battery was new and connections cleaned with new battery. Is there a service bulletin or work around for power drainage issue?
  4. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Definitely could be. How many miles?

5. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a starter relay, it's under the seat under the tool tray thing. It's the only relay on the bike.
  6. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:dunno

7. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Under that tray somewhere. How does BMW switch the starter solenoid without a relay?
    This isn't an especially good image but you can see where it says starter relay in the area near the tool tray.
    [​IMG] It's K9130 on the wiring diagram. #8 here
  8. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are the symptoms? I had an issue I thought was the battery, but turned out to be a bad starter. Would start fine when cold, but after the bike got hot it would crank very slowly. Let the bike cool for an hour or so and it was fine. Got worse, to the point of almost not being able to crank. Something about the adhesive holding the brushes getting hot and the brushes causing too much drag. Something like that. Anyway, mine happened under warranty. If I remember correctly there was a run of starters with this issue. Mine is an 09 also.

If that doesn't sound like your problem, then I'm with Jim. check and clean the connections on the battery and the starter.
  9. Toolpen

Toolpen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe the starter relay is located behind the control unit (ECU). You have to remove the fuel tank and then the control unit to access it. On the earlier GSA model, the starter relay was located underneath the tool tray.

Ron
  10. RMR

RMR REALLY confused

Oddometer:
    If the OP's symptoms are the same as mine, (I also have a '09 GSA) the bike works perfectly 97% of the time. what happens is the RID will come up, fuel pump runs, but when you hit the starter switch.... nothing. usually this resolves by shutting the bike off completely, then repeating the start sequence. there are NO other unusual aspects of the start. (cranks fine, unusual battery draw, runs great when started)

stuck relay, or wonky kickstand switch?

so far it is just an irritant. the bike has never left me stranded. I did take it to my local dealer, (who is very good BTW) and since it is so intermittent, its pretty hard to diagnose.
  11. MarcGSA

Oddometer:
    What a pain in the X%$@#@& to access?!? and the gray relays are superceeded by a new yellow one ( 61 36 6902041). Do not dear to pay more than 17$ for one, because the dealers are such rip-offs they are at least 50% more. I even got for 10$ each on e-bay, so shop around and get a spare!

12. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
  13. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Water can collect in this tray and corrode the wires. I've seen this happen twice. There will e a feint click from this area when you hit the start button. Just pull out the wire from its broken connection and jam it back in with a crimped male connection.