Starting a Trip in October - Heading to Panama

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Dhermz, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Dhermz

Dhermz Canadian Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello inmates,

I am heading south in approximately a month and looking to see if any one is headed the same way. Not looking for a full time ride partner but more or less someone heading in the same direction to check in and meet up with/ ride a few days with from time to time.

I've read tons of Ride reports over the last few years and I think it would be great to meet up with some of you legends.

Feel free to message me and let me know if you are headed in the same direction.

Start point: Edmonton Alberta
    Goal: Panama City, Panama

Start Date: October 10th

General Route:
    West to Vancouver then south along the PCH and down Baja, Ferry to Mazatlan and down the west coast of Central America. ( I will update the route soon as make up my route map)

General Itinerary

Depart October 8th - 10th

Phase 1 (10 Days)

BC/USA - October 10th - October 20-22nd

Phase 2 (17-20 Days)

Mexico ( BAJA & Mainland) - October 22nd - November 12th

Phase 3 (14 Days) - November 12th - November 26th

Guatemala/ El Salvador

Phase 4 (14-15 Days) - November 26th - December 7th

Nicaragua/ Costa Rica

Phase 5 (15-30 Days) - December 8th - December 25th…..

Panama - The way back to Arizona

Cheers,

Dave
    Sparta683, Parcero and Matthew.chizz like this.
  2. matthewg123

matthewg123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading this route from TX to Panama in Jan. Following.
    Dhermz likes this.
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    meet a few Mexico travellers in Banamachi Sonora on the 8th of November, there is usually about 20 riders show up and some of us are heading south after the meet up
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. VanIsle180

VanIsle180 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving the Vancouver area on the 4th. Heading to Rich's for the 5th for some adjustments then south to La Paz. Not in any rush, was thinking highway 1 and 101.
    Dhermz likes this.
  6. Dhermz

Oddometer:
    Brilliant,

My last day of work is the 9th of October. I boogie west then south and meet up?

Also in no rush at the moment. Meeting friends in Cabo 1st or 2nd week of November.

Keep in touch! I'll message you my contact info
  7. Dhermz

Oddometer:
    Cal likes this.
  8. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Mexico until about Dec.10th Maybe Guatemala also.
    Dhermz likes this.
  9. VanIsle180

VanIsle180 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I’ll go slow. Meet up in south Oregon or something.
    Dhermz likes this.
  10. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dhermz et al ..””Cabo then over to the mainland.””

“ <<. BRING YOUR OWN TIE DOWNS STRAPS IF YOU ARE RIDING A MOTORCYCLE • >>

It is official policy for motorcycles as the ticket selling lady at Ferry TMC told us yesterday .

I venture a guess that if they have supplied the lightweight tie down straps suitable for a bike in the past that too many went missing . :dirtdog
    Or they have only the heavy wide straps , often filthy , for holding cars and trucks which are difficult to attach to the chromey - painty- plasticky parts of a bike

PS - l realize that this admonition from the ticket seller for FERRY TMC may be a specific
    requirement for TMC , while other carriers might supply bike- friendly tie downs , but you as a traveller will have to be prepared for ANY eventuality .
    The TMC vessel San Guillermo is a trucking dedicated vessel and supplies ONLY heavy duty chain and hook style units to tie down trucks , not a strap of any size to be had.

Get your own four straps and set them up for non- marring attachment to your bike and get some practice in rigging them up .
    Nothing is funnier (?) than seeing somebody with two fingerless left hands pulling on a wad of knotted up straps and not knowing which end goes where .
    Dhermz likes this.
  11. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Nice trip. I did a similar trip back in 2011, starting from Chicago. I’ll be following along vicariously.
    Sjoerd Bakker and Dhermz like this.
  12. Sparta683

Sparta683 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me and a couple buddies will be in Baja October 27-November 7. That looks like when you’ll be down there also. It will be our first trip to Baja so we won’t be much help for advice but we can buy you a beer or two! I’ll keep an eye on this thread. Ride safe and have fun!
    matthewg123 likes this.
  13. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also for Dhermz et al

If one is sure that one is going to be crossing to the mainland from Pichilingue it is best to get your TVIP done and paid for at the same time you are getting the FMM right AT THE BORDER as you enter from the USA .
    The TVIP is indeed available at Pichilingue ferry terminal ( provided you have the FMM )
    but BANJERCITO at Pichilingue operates on a variable time schedule : see this image , upper sign of today .
    27D65F5A-71CF-420A-AB08-4B1445CBC6FD.jpeg
    With the TVIP in hand from the BORDER you will be liberated from the worry of timing to get it at Pichilingue .

With the current ( late 2019) regime of ferry departures ,some of which which are timed late in the evening , you might well find yourself arriving at the ferry port at the hour recommended by the ferry company , say 5 pm but then discover that the BANJERCITO closes at 3 pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday .
    Not good! , you would need to postpone to a later day .!

The lower panel in the photo is the current cost of the TVIP .
    Of course you still have the REFUNDABLE security deposit to add to that , but that is not a cost to you (- unless you mess up and forget to cancel the TVIP )

The BANJERCITO at Pichilingue is now located in the older , south terminal building on the ground floor , north east corner facing the parking area .
    The ticket wickets are located in the newer north building ,inside , ground floor , north end .
  14. Rubinski

Rubinski Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm leaving Phoenix Arizona October 7th. Hoping to go all the way to Peru. I'll have to decide when I arrive in Panama.
    Dhermz likes this.
  15. Rubinski

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving Phoenix Arizona October 7th. Hoping to go all the way to Peru. I'll have to decide when I arrive in Panama. I'm also looking for information on shipping my bike back from Lima Peru. If anyone has information, I would really appreciate it.
  16. samalama

samalama Where we going? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are riding from New Mexico to as far south as we can get over the course of 4-5 months, starting November 6th. We are on 2 DR650's and would be psyched to meet up any and all of you if our paths cross along the way. I'll be watching this thread. Have fun!
    Dhermz and matthewg123 like this.
  17. Rubinski

Oddometer:
    Definitely! Hope to meet up somewhere..
  18. VanIsle180

VanIsle180 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Just on the ferry coming off the big island. Vancouver overnight tonight. Kingston, Wa tomorrow and Saturday. Then out to the coast and south. Keep me posted where you are and we’ll meet up for the TJ crossing. I’ve got some great intel from buddies that have done the trip a lot. Lots of great bike friendly places on the way down. Cheers. Safe ride.
    Dhermz likes this.
  19. Dhermz

Oddometer:

Hey VanIsle,

t-minus 8 days till I get some kms under the wheels. I'll keep you posted where I am and how fast I'm travelling. Anxious about the snow we got in souther BC and Alberta. Keeping my eye on the safest route through the rockies.

Cheers and safe riding.

- Dave
  20. Rubinski

Oddometer:
    Dhermz and samalama like this.