Starting a Trip in October - Heading to Panama

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Dhermz, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Rubinski

Rubinski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi friends,
    I am heading south Monday morning October 7th. Hope to meet a couple of you out here fro time to time. I got about 10 copies of my bike Title, Registration, front and back of Drivers License. Got my passport and my motorcycle insurance for Mexico.

Feel free to message me and let me know if you are headed in the same direction this coming week. I did Cabo San Lucas and back to Arizona so i'm taking the mainland route through Sonora crossing the Nogales Arizona/Sonora Border.

Start point: Phoenix Arizona
    Goal: Machu Pichu Peru but am limited to if I am able to ship my bike back from Lima. Otherwise, I may have to turn back in Colombia.

Start Date: October 7th

General Route:
    South along the mainland of Sonora, stopping in Culiacan Sinaloa for a few days. On to Guadlaljara Jalisco another couple of days, continue to Ciudad de Mexico a few nights, Oaxaca to the Mezcal fincas a few days, then to Chiapas San Cristobal de Las Casas a few days. I will update the route as soon as I make up my route map from San Cristobal de Las Casas as I cross into Guatemala.

General Itinerary

Depart October 7th

Phase 2 (starts at the Chiapas/Guatemala border. Hope to visit some coffee plantations in Guatemala and Costa Rica.

I have heard there is instability in El Salvador so I may stay away from there. Not sure how accurate this information is so I'll learn more as I approach Central America.

If shipping plans from Lima fail, I will head back to Arizona once I visit Colombia. Looking at around 3 months, or more. Depending on the fun i'm having.
    Cal likes this.
  2. Rubinski

Oddometer:
    Left Phoenix and crossed at the Nogales Arizona/Sonora Border. Drove to the 21 kilometers station.Went inside to this office on the left and filled out paper work for my permit and my bike's permit. From there you to to make copies next door. IMG_2585.JPG

Attached Files:

3. Rubinski

Oddometer:
    IMG_2584.JPG
  4. Rubinski

Oddometer:
    Here is where you get copies and then take them to the building behind this building where you will pay. I paid $459.21 for my bike permit of which $400 is refundable when you return and turn the bike permit back. My permit cost me $55.00 or so and this is non-refundable. I made copies of my Registration, Title, and Drivers License. I was still required to get a copy of my passport which I do not remember doing in my previous trips. Once you pay, you go back to the first building and complete the process. Took me about 20 minutes.
  5. Rubinski

Oddometer:
    IMG_2591.JPG
  6. Rubinski

Oddometer:
    My buddy and I had dinner in Ciudad Obregon. At La Cecina Planoriente. Cost us $9.00 each with 3 beers or more, I don't know, I lost count.
    Cal likes this.
  7. Rubinski

Oddometer:
    Great trip so far. Went to watch the Tomateros de Culiacán play Mazatlán in the season opener of the Liga del Pacifico. Then rode on to Durango and had to try a scorpion taco. A bit crunchy and tasteless. Now I’m in Guadalajara. Great dinner at a taco stand with family. Heading to Mexico City in a couple of days.

Attached Files:

Dhermz likes this.
  8. Dhermz

Dhermz Canadian Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Everyone,

I've started my trip - not sure if I should just flip this over to the Epic rides parts of the forum.

Currently in Bishop California after 5 cold days riding at 5000-8000 feet to avoid the rain on the coast and the snow in Montana.

Will be heading to Cabo San Lucas for the beginning of November then on to La Paz and Mainland on the 10th/11th of November.
    If anyone is headed that way. Its always good to meet some of you.

Cheers,

Dave
    Parcero likes this.
  9. CA2018

CA2018 n00b

Oddometer:
    Dave how far south are you? I am in Oaxaca.
  10. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I think, if I understand the forum guidelines correctly, that this should be moved to the Ride Reports section since it has moved beyond the “planning” stage.

I’m looking forward to following along!