Starting Noise

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by waltert, May 1, 2006.

1. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    When starting the bike cold, if it doesn't start completely on the first
    or second attempt, I hear a tremendous metal to metal KlanK noise as
    the engine comes to a stop. WTF is that?

For instance let's say it's 55 degrees outside and I don't give it enough
    choke, if the start doesn't get the engine running I hear this as the engine
    comes to a stop.

Anyone else experience this?

It runs perfectly after starting. Prolly nothing to be alarmed about but
    I've never heard a bike do this before. This is a new '06 with 300 miles.
  2. Huber Tuber

Huber Tuber Beer is good

Oddometer:
    It has little to do with the temp outside, you have a bad starter. Very-very common with the 950. Only real way to fix is have it replaced. I had the exact same thing.

Best!
  3. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    I would assume that this is covered by warrantee...

Would it be safe to wait until my 600 mile "tuneup"?

Thanks for the info.
  4. Huber Tuber

Huber Tuber Beer is good

Oddometer:
    As far as I understand that it's not an emergency but when you can the sooner the better. My dealer sold me a demo bike that they knew had a bad starter so I took it to another/better dealer to fix the issue. Yes you will be covered if the bike is new. KTM should just do a sweep and have all bikes checked. Other than some stalling and the starter thing the bike is pretty robust. Don't lose any sleep over it as it's not a huge deal.
  5. Speedzter

Speedzter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not totally sure about the '06 model as they have the torque limiting gears, but on my '03 , I get the noise you describe ocasionally when the bike fails to start, or if it stalls. I believe it is the one way starter clutch engaging when the engine kicks back on compression, which causes a very loud metalic bang, as the gear reduction on the starter is working in reverse.
    This issue caused my flywheel to come loose on the crank taper when I had an electrcal problem that was killing the engine. The '03's do not have a keyway on the crank/flywheel , but '04's and later do .
    Anyone else have this noise happen ?

I think the issue Huber Tuber has mentioned is a fault with the torque limiting starter gear on '05 and later, but this caused problems only when cranking i believe ?
  6. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    I've had this noise happen too. Nearly shit myself the first time:eek1 . My bike's only 5000k old. The bike starts fine, no noise or spinning starter clutch (who else's got an XS11?). But if it stalls...it sounds like a gun.

To prevent it, I've just been giving it a bit more choke and watching the idle speed for a few extra seconds.

Is it a problem or just a product of the design / compression etc?

cheers
    rayb
  7. LC8rider

LC8rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine has been doing this since the last service, but as the winter had set in I've not used the bike properly until March this year. The bike had always been a great starter up until the service. I've noticed the noise getting louder and the bike harder to start until recently when it gave up completely. Turns out it was the starter clutch unit. My dealer said KTM have never heard of this before, just like they've never heard of cooling problems and popped head gaskets before. Funny how that happened after a service as well! KTM dealers............:dizave
  8. Doog

Doog The Complete Squid

Oddometer:
    Yup - my 04 does it, as does my buddy's. Exactly as you described - it's when it stalls after it stumbles a bit on a cold start. I believe it's just the design of the internal gears and/or just the compression suddenly blowing the cranks backwards.
    Sounds like crap (and even blew some oil out past one of my oil hose clamps...WTF?), but seems to be "normal" for this engine.
    Rule of thumb: always make sure your battery is strong (these bikes won't run with low battery) and I use a bunch of choke, even on warm days.
  9. MadAl

MadAl KTM990

Oddometer:
    My new 990 adv started doing it after 1500km. My dealer replace the torque limiting gear on the starter and it's been quiet since then. They say that the spring between the two gears is sometimes a little weak.
  10. LC8rider

LC8rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd have expected a dealer to say it's normal, but as a customer I'd say it's a design fault and KTM have had 3 years to re-hash the design. It's used on all the 950/990 engines. The parts used to fix mine are from a 990 Duke in the shop. The bike starts first crack and is quiet as you like now. I'd get yours sorted if I were you. Have you tried to bump start a 950?:pope
  11. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    seems like mine does it if its got a weak battery or if I don't hold the starter button hard enough. Like the starter motor isnt enguaged hard enough and is coming in and out. that will play havoc on gears.
  12. posole vato

posole vato Vato Loco

Oddometer:
    \
    Anyone else experience this?

It runs perfectly after starting. Prolly nothing to be alarmed about but
    I've never heard a bike do this before. This is a new '06 with 300 miles.[/QUOTE]

Walter..... i have the same problem....with the metal to metal clanking sound.....my 950 and it has less than 600 miles on it
  13. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    Walter..... i have the same problem....with the metal to metal clanking sound.....my 950 and it has less than 600 miles on it[/quote]

I'm riding tomorrow and I'll take her in afterwards next week. I've been
    told it has something to do with the starter mechanism. I'll let you
    know what they find. I did notice that if I don't use the choke, it doesn't
    seem to be as bad. Weird...
  14. Chadd

Chadd I live in the wrong place

Oddometer:
  15. Pete156

Pete156 I love to eat!

Oddometer:
    Yes i've attempted to bump start my 950. WOW, what a racket! I don't think I'll try that again.
  16. Doog

Doog The Complete Squid

Oddometer:
    I've tried bumping, but I guess I don't weigh enough - back tire just locks up (even trying in 2nd... and 3rd!) and even when I get it up to about 20 mph (tried towing it). That sucker just has too much compression and too little tire on the road.
  17. Goldhelocks

Goldhelocks You had me at "2 wheels"

Oddometer:
    As I said in another post, I've been down this road twice on the same bike (I have two 950s). (That clanking things sounds great huh? First time was like... "What the hell was that!") Been told that it is common. In my case, assuming it is the same thing, it is not the starter itself, it is indeed the "starter clutch mechanism," about $200 for the part itself plus install if not under warranty here in the states. Fortuantely for me, I've been covered by warranty both times. My local dealer says that they have replaced about six of them in total. The first time, I took the bike right in and left it at the dealer and four weeks later got it back. The second time I just told them to stick it, kept and rode the bike while waiting for the part. It never stranded me, but sure made for some embarrassing episodes... wouldn't you know it... once when I was with some GS riders! UGH! But I got my revenge with the heckling as they couldn't keep up with me off road, so starter or no starter I figure I still have the better deal going!

Just chalk it up to being a 950 owner and don't let it get you down! :baldy

Goldhelocks
  18. willsuds

willsuds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have heard the noise a few times on my new 990. It sounds like it is going to self detonate! As the bike is new, is this a warranty issue? Sounds like it is a common complaint.
    If not replaced, will it get worse and actually do damage?
  19. MadAl

MadAl KTM990

Oddometer:
    Willsuds, mine on my new 990adv was covered by the warrenty in South Africa. If they have the part it takes them about an hour to change. When It first started it only happened on the first start in the morning, but then started getting worse. I was not going to take the chance of it failing on me in the bush.
  20. willsuds

willsuds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yea, I am going to contact the dealer about it. I has started happening more frequently and sound's bad. Certainly wakes up those dozey cage drivers though!! :wink:.