Starting problem on a 2014 1290 Superduke – Fuel pump? ECU?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by wiseblood, Jun 9, 2018.

1. wiseblood

wiseblood 100% "That Bitch" Supporter

Oddometer:
    A week ago, the bike had a couple incidence where it stalled while I was waiting at a red light. I would hit the starter, and it would fire back up.

A couple days ago, it stalled at a red light, but WOULD NOT START! It would crank and crank and crank – but no spark.

My first guess was the fuel pump. I disassembled it, and replaced the pump motor. SAME PROBLEM! It started, ran for a bit, then stalled and wouldn't start. :fpalm

Next, I tried testing w/ the fuel filters OUT.

[​IMG]

The filters didn't seem terrible, but I ordered a fresh set and new o-rings. (CJ Design – they arrive next week.)

In the mean time, I removed the filters (pre-filter and main filter) and tested again. The bike seemed to run! I patted myself on the back, and planned on riding to work the next day.

Next morning, everything seemed to be fine. But, on my way to work the bike stalled again and wouldn't start! :fpalm :bluduh

Now, I'm alternating between scratching my head and banging it on the wall. :baldy

Thoughts:
    • Could running without a filter for an hour have caused the fuel injectors to clog? Seems unlikely, but I put in some fuel injector cleaner to test.
    • Could it be related to HEAT? Maybe when the bike gets up to operating temp, something happens which causes the pump or injectors to stop working?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!! I have a track day planned for next weekend, and I would loath to miss it because of this problem. :cry
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Is it only stalling at red lights that are a problem...

Try stalling at a greenligt, see if symptoms persist
  3. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    :lol3

You didn’t want to go with “Try not stopping for red lights!” :D

In all seriousness though: This is a stall at idle. As far as I can tell, I never experienced any fueling problem with the throttle open: No bogging or lack of power. No “limp home” mode. Heck, most days I keep “Sport” mode on and MTC off. :ricky
  4. Lewilewi

Oddometer:

Just a thought have you modified any thing engine wise
  5. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Follow-up on this problem: I believe I have it fixed!

Following is a longer post on the topic. TL-DR version: I replaced the Voltage Regulator-Rectifier.

This guy:

upload_2018-7-6_10-51-16.png

upload_2018-7-6_10-47-6.png

VOLTAGE REGULATOR
    Part# 60311034000

Here's the longer message on the subject, with a nice rant at the end. :D

6. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    Well I hope it's all sorted, thank you for sharing your fix