'State of Origin.'

Discussion in 'Australia' started by duckslider, May 21, 2011.

1. JBtourer

JBtourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I really can’t see any benefit coming from it. Two very different games.
    Cruz likes this.
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    so the courier mail is a reputable paper ?

given it is in the context of trying to at least get some international football played between the 2 codes with all the canclelled and forecast cancelled international games to come due to corona I'm not surprised, surely it would be better than watching nothing for a bit of fun, but hard to see it happening

after all, these sports are interantional sports, not just played within aus.

3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    So they just need a gimmick game to try to get some attention via another sport.
  4. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    if thats how you see it, its a free world

5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    How a lot of commentators on sports channels and news are seeing it.
    What possible benefit can it be to the NZ All Blacks except appearance money?
    Reminds me of the Ali v Antonio Inoki 'War of the Worlds' fight and we know how that turned out.
  6. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    what other benefit ?, its alot different when you dont just put your words to it to slant the story for a good post

All Blacks head coach Ian Foster has spoken with Mal Meninga about hybrid clash

''I've had a couple of talks to Mal Meninga. It was great talking to him, top bloke, about what the game would look like if it did happen. There's a lot of work to be done in that space. It's a proposal on the table at the moment,'' Foster said in a video on allblacks.com

''In this year of so much disruption and changes we're not dismissing anything. Our first priority is clearly to play All Blacks tests. We're not going to say no to anything right now.''

''It's an idea. It's a tough year. We're trying to generate as much money as we can to save the game in this country and if we can't get the number of test matches we want then maybe it is an option.''

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...as-spoken-with-mal-meninga-about-hybrid-clash

7. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    So, as I said, appearance money.
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200709_095756.jpg
    After eight rounds of the NRL premiership season the highest ranked Queensland side are the North Queensland Cowboys in 11th position, followed by the Brisbane Broncos (14th) and the Gold Coast Titans (15th). The Queensland Maroons will assume underdog status heading into this year’s State of Origin series, all while the Sunshine State becomes the unofficial home of the AFL. Nonetheless, Queensland Rugby League officials are declaring it’s no time to panic.

Concern for the Broncos, the NRL’s richest club, crescendoed last weekend following a sixth straight loss. At full-time, players were reduced to tears and frustrated fans called on club administrators to reveal a roadmap out of catastrophe.

On top of all the internal challenges, rugby league in Queensland now has the AFL to contend with after that competition was forced to set up shop in the state as a result of the Covid-19 lockdown in Victoria. The relocation means Queenslanders will have six AFL games hosted in their own backyard this weekend, and as a bonus, the Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast Suns are both firmly in finals contention.

The AFL announced this week that participation at all levels had grown by 270,000 in Queensland. While a 21 per cent growth in its national television audience (compared to 2019) can be attributed to an inability to attend matches in the current climate, the increase in Brisbane was a massive 38 per cent – signalling just what good form can do for the game. Good form; something noticeably in short supply in Queensland rugby league.
  9. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Lions must be winning again are they, if
    fickle AFL supporters have come back
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Opposition 112 v 16 Qld teams on the weekend.
  11. stumps

stumps Ageing Adolescent

Oddometer:
    I see the normal 'huge' crowds are back for the NRL eh...6000 tops. Shit crowds => shit game. :nod
  12. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Yeah no ones watching it

how many were at the MCG on the weekend:jack

you’d almost think there are crowd restrictions on

8B7C6A16-7EA4-4824-889C-E7596324F70A.jpeg
  13. stumps

stumps Ageing Adolescent

Oddometer:
    Nice story BD, by an NRL employed reporter to a marginal audience. Now for some real news...I'm sure you'll enjoy this weeks round of real Australian Football. :beer

upload_2020-7-22_12-7-34.png
  14. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    I can’t wait for the world cup :thumb

15. stumps

stumps Ageing Adolescent

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    If only eh! World's best footy code....and it's ours! Enjoy. :raabia
  16. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Been quiet in here for quite awhile!
  17. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    To all Queenslanders, if your phone rings from an unknown number, answer it as it could be new Qld coach Wayne Bennett looking for players in what he has named Mission Impossible for this year's State of Origin series. ;)
    duckslider, GSnovice and Dukehunt like this.
  18. duckslider

duckslider unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer:
    Not too far away now :-) GO THE BLUES! :D
  19. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    10 days to go and had to find this on page 3.

Wacko Senator Matt Canavan of Qld has said that Qld will never win another State of Origin game, if coal mining towns close down.

Only piece of 'news' I could find in the local Qld paper about State of Origin today to get this back on the front page! :1drink:photog:-)
  20. JBtourer

JBtourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big back flip today.
    The people spoke. Loudly.