1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Staubwolke

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Siricco, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Barakaiki likes this.
  2. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following is a series of posts showing how different types/brands of soft luggage can be attached to our tail rack. Take it as suggestion only as your individual needs and situation might be different. And there are always many different ways of doing the same thing. Our tail rack is versatile enough to accommodate many ways of attachments, but if you have a particular question, ask us ;).

Let's start with the Kriega US-20. It's a beloved staple in our arsenal of soft luggage.

We attached the forward straps to the subframe loops (included with the purchase of our tail rack). The rear straps attach through the tail rack.

IMG_1294.JPG IMG_1295.JPG IMG_1296.JPG IMG_1297.JPG
  3. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is the Tillamook duffel bag from GL mounted on our tail rack. The mounting applies probably to any duffel bag. Also, stacking up two duffel bags is not a problem either, and works the same way. We use mainly straps from bagstrapz.com, and mount the short end (with the double D-rings) at the end of the tail rack. It is easier to operate. The straps run cross, front left to rear right, and front right to rear left. Also, straps run through the loops of the Tillamook duffel bag to keep the straps in their position.

IMG_1298.JPG IMG_1299.JPG IMG_1300.JPG IMG_1301.JPG
    Barakaiki likes this.
  4. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are some pictures from actual trips we did. At those times, of course, with earlier prototypes of the tail rack. The luggage on the tail rack is the only luggage I typically carry, even on very long trips, like West-To-East coast (5,500 miles with detours ;), first 2 pictures).

IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0262.JPG

Here, I carry 2 duffel bags on a different trip through Utah.
    EFE6AC94-1452-44E5-8E83-8D05918967B5.jpg
    Barakaiki likes this.
  5. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture of the Mosko Moto Reckless 80 attached to our tail rack. All 3 rear facing attachment straps of the Reckless are hooked up to the tail rack. Although the center strap would be enough to keep the Reckless from sliding forward, the additional 2 straps on each side give it more structural support (anti-rotationional), especially once strapped down with the forward facing straps (to the foot pegs or similar attachment points). Also note, with this tail rack the Reckless is positioned far enough to the rear to NOT cover the fuel tank inlet.

IMG_1275.JPG
    Barakaiki likes this.
  6. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Confirmed, we will be at the Overland Expo West in Flagstaff, AZ May 12-14 (https://www.overlandexpo.com/west/). It will be a very long ride from the east coast, but we have been told that the Expo West is way bigger than the Expo East (which we attended last year). We'll see ;). Looking forward seeing what its all about, and we certainly would love to experience some warmer weather for once. If you attend the Expo, come on over and say 'hi'.
    Barakaiki likes this.
  7. Barakaiki

Barakaiki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love this! Looking forward to meeting you in person! Ray, it's time for me to switch out the rubber sleeves on my crash bar. What's the best way to attack this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are descriptions at the end of the installation instructions on how to install new rubber sleeves. Do you need new ones? What color?
  9. Barakaiki

Barakaiki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No I'm good! I have the black ones to install. But for the life of me can't find the instructions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got you covered...

Staubwolke Crash Bar Installation Instructions page 29.jpg Staubwolke Crash Bar Installation Instructions page 30.jpg
  11. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be awesome if you can make it to AZ ;).
  12. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today we have an update on the crashbar bucket development. We incorporated lessons learned from earlier prototypes and feedback from some of you (thank you, it is always appreciated ;) ).

The bucket design is now lower, ending with the crashbar tubing. As many of you (especially) enjoy resting the legs on the crashbar, one can do that now with the buckets installed (compared to previous bucket designs).

Each bucket also has a lid. The lid is lockable with a common padlock (not provided) and can be removed without any tools (providing you got the key to the padlock :jack). It can be used to attach (atop) additional bags, gear or clothing. There are features in the lid which will make it possible to use straps or bungee cords to attach additional things. Removing the lid will make it possible to pack longer items, e.g. a tent. However, GSA owners will have some space limitations as the plastic side covers bulge out more than on other GSes. Also, attaching more bags or gear on top of the lid will make it un-usable to rest your legs on the crashbar (unless you are very, very flexible :rofl), but that is a compromise everyone can decide for themselves.

The blue liner (not set on the color yet) will be made out of PU. It will be flexible enough to not break in a spill. Most of the bucket is designed to be protected by the crashbar during a spill. A portion of the usable space is not, and will just deform (but not break). Think of it as a combination of soft and hard luggage, although without the permanent deformations on some typical hard luggage. Having most of the bucket designed rigidly enables the buckets to carry heavier loads. Tools, water, fuel, etc. are pretty heavy. The liner also acts as a shock absorber to keep rattling noises down (e.g. loose items inside the buckets). Most of the lid is resting on the liner as well, minimizing acting like a steel drum.

Waterproofness of items inside the buckets will be provided by your choice of waterproof bags or enclosures. We think there are plenty of waterproof bag choices on the market and we couldn't add any value to this aspect. The bucket liner has drain openings on the bottom to deal with any liquids.

The rigid portion of the bucket has now generously rounded edges and corners, providing a more rigid and dependable structure (less stress concentration) and is greatly reducing getting hurt on edges/ corners.

If you have any feedback, please let us know. Now is the time ;). There are still a few small items to design and finish. The plan is to get the drawings done this week and RFQ with our suppliers. We will keep you updated...

Slide1.jpg Slide2.jpg Slide3.jpg Slide4.jpg
    pklop and Barakaiki like this.
  13. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Barakaiki likes this.
  14. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some more renderings of the crashbar buckets. Today's color of the bucket liner is safety orange :-). Not completely sure yet about the final color combination, but why not? As the flexible PUR liner is likely seeing the most abuse (because it can get deformed during a crash), it will be possible to replace just the liner whenever the need arises. PUR, polyurethane rubber (think all weather liners in cars/trucks or cutting mats), is pretty tough but flexible. This design now has also some PUR material in the area close to the rider's legs. It serves multiple functional and aesthetic requirements. Besides a small planned modification on the front tube clamp, this design is it. And as planned, will go out to our suppliers for RFQ this week. We are very excited. It all came together nicely. Once available for purchase this system is the only commercial available luggage system of its kind on the market.

That's the view from the rider's position onto the crashbar luggage system.
    BASKET_RIGHT_ASSY_1.jpg

View from the front, left side bucket without cover.
    BASKET_RIGHT_ASSY_5.jpg

Side view, left crashbar bucket. The raised PUR portion of the liner is visible well in this shot. It's raised 5mm above the hard part of the bucket (made out AL) and close to the rider's leg.
    BASKET_RIGHT_ASSY_2.jpg

This shot is showing the bucket only with installed liner (orange).
    BASKET_RIGHT_ASSY.jpg
    pklop and Barakaiki like this.
  15. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I really like what your producing here! But please do not confuse the F800 with some orange beasts :) In fact, I think it's best to not introduce another color to the (my) bike. Orange wouldn't fit well, blue also not, so unless you're going to make liners in a lot of different colors to choose from, it's best to keep them neutral. That's black or gray. I do agree with you that using a nice color makes for a nicer looking product when seeing the product solo, but if the color doesn't match the bike it isn't going to work in the complete picture. My 2cts.
  16. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely agree. It is just much more fun to play with color during the development ;). For production all parts will be some shade of black :D. The bucket itself is AL and will be anodized black. The same is true for the cover and the other small parts. The liner will be matched to the anodized black parts in the end. But we will see for sure in production. There might be a chance of the liner getting some lighter shade of black, grey.
    pklop likes this.
  17. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, here is the latest and greatest of the bucket design. The parts attaching the bucket to the crashbar looked like this in previous prototypes.
    IMG_1311.jpg

This design worked just fine. However, fine isn't cutting it. We came up with a way better design :-). The old design clamped the tube in a straight fashion in the direction of the screw axis (like how you would hold a pen between thumb and index finger). The new design is self-centering and clamping onto the tube from 3 directions. It works just like a tool chuck. The result is more engagement surface applying pressure onto the tube, uniformly. That means with the same torque on the screws, this new design will hold onto the tube stronger. Sorry, geeking out... :rofl. The new design now also sports 2 incorporated loops to attach straps.
    BASKET_RIGHT_ASSY_4.jpg

The production design will likely look much more like these pictures, color-wise. It will very likely be an all black design.
    BASKET_RIGHT_ASSY_7.jpg
    BASKET_RIGHT_ASSY_3.jpg

We'll keep you updated...
    ADVwxyz and pklop like this.
  18. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    You've gotten me really excited about this! Great work!
    Can hardly wait till the time comes that I can give you my money :thumb and get me some of these. :rilla
    Siricco likes this.
  19. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To be honest, this color combination is our favorite. The silver colored parts have a shiny silver surface. It looks like the little spacers on our tail rack. Its done via anodization. There is only a tiny production issue to be figured out, as black anodized and silver anodized AL parts need to be welded together. Anodization creates a layer on the AL and we have to see how welding through that layer is feasible. We'll try. Our suppliers are top notch and if it can be done, it will ;).

STA1542WE10ENG.jpg
    pklop likes this.
  20. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, and not to worry about seeing the weld lines. They are on the inside of the bucket, hidden behind the liner.