1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Staubwolke

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Siricco, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alright, drawings for the crashbar buckets are out. We will see about timing, but it will be probably about 3 month until everything is in, tested and ready to sell. That is partly due to us waiting to kick-off the liner tooling until we have the other metal hardware in our hands to evaluate. Injection molding tools are quite expensive and we just want to make sure, there are no changes required.

However, you can help us right now. Without committing, of course, we would like to find out how many of you want to get the buckets. To keep capital expenditure low, we typically run small batches, and make more as demand justifies it. We would like to gauge, how many complete buckets we should run for the first batch. Please let us know here, or PM us. Thanks.
  2. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I want a set. In fact, since I'm responding first I want the first you are able to ship :) Consider this a pre-order.
  3. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely, and gladly ;).
    pklop likes this.
  4. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Teaser picture ;). With the crashbar buckets on their way to manufacturing, we now press full steam ahead on finishing the rear luggage side rack thingy :eek:. The idea is to compliment the tail rack with dedicated side racks (sort off). Those will be minimalistic, light, and dedicated for soft luggage only, primarily for over the seat type soft luggage ala Mosko Moto Reckless 80. Something that will prevent the side pods moving inward (wheel, exhaust) and outward. Also, it will reduce and/or limit forward/rearward movement.

IMG_1318.JPG
  5. Bassattack

Bassattack n00b

Oddometer:

Nice
    This guy is interested, one of the last additions I want for my bike is adding extra fuel and if those puppies (the bags that is) would hold canisters for fuel that would be amazing. My motto is "out of site, out of mind" and that's the idea with those. Curious on the price associated?
    YOU GUYS ROCK
  6. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words :-).

Yes, these buckets, and most of all the crashbar, have been designed from the beginning with the intention to carry extra fuel and water for overlanding. Me personally, I get nervous as I am getting close to 160 miles on a full tank. I pushed my 800GS to 230 miles on a full tank before, but am realistic enough to not assume this to be the case all the time. There better be a gas station around when I get 200 miles on a full tank :eek7. It was very close last year in Oregon.

Having said that, I think the good thing about these buckets (and this system in general) is that they are pretty universal and can be used in many different ways. Fuel, water, tools, cloth, etc., anything can be packed down there. Or additional bags can be attached. On a shorter ride, maybe everything can be packed into these buckets, and no additional luggage in the rear of the bike is needed. Especially as the the buckets can be locked. Not many soft luggage systems have the features to do that. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see some people attaching a winch to the buckets (Right GoPlaces?) ;).

Price wise... We are still in the quoting and negotiating phase with our suppliers. As we are a young, self funded startup, we can only commit to small batches. Some parts are just not feasible to manufacture without tools and fixtures (injection molding for example), which is pretty expensive. To get better pricing we would need to order more parts from our suppliers. But that only makes sense if we can sell those parts, otherwise that wouldn't be fiscally responsible. I can't comment yet on a price range, but my gut feeling is that these buckets will need to be sold at cost without any margin for us. And I think we are fine with that, as the buckets will (hopefully) drive the demand for crashbars. And lets not forget ;) that we, ourselves, really, really want these buckets for our own traveling needs :wink:.
  7. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SPRING SALE EVENT

15% OFF on all products at www.staubwolke.com. May 14th through May 17th. Use coupon SPRINGSALE at checkout. Limited supply.

crashbars, rear handles, handlebar risers and tail racks
  8. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We will have a small vendor booth at Overland Expo West next month (May 12th through May 14th, Flagstaff, AZ), as previously announced. We will have a special guest at our booth (with 95% probability, as he would say :D). His new creation will be on display, and we couldn't be more excited.

He will present his sidecar for the BMW boxer. Different to a typical and solidly connected sidecar, this one allows the motorcycle to lean. If you will be at the Expo next month, please come by and have a look yourself. He is in the process of getting his business end up and running, but if you have any questions, let us know and we'll patch you through.

Here are some pictures. Please note that the sidecar in the pictures is primed only. All sidecars can be fully customized on a variety of different levels.

IMG_1386.JPG IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1378.JPG
  9. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In case you are wondering how much the motorcycle can lean with this sidecar, here is a picture for you :jack.

IMG_1381.JPG
  10. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A small correction! I was being told that this sidecar is not limited to a BMW and can be adapted to many other motorcycles, if not any.
  11. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time is flying. Quick update on the crashbar baskets. All metal hardware parts are kicked off, finally. Negotiating and agreeing on a production design is sometimes not as quick as one might think ;). But anyhow, its on its way now. The first buckets (AL sheet metal assembly and other hardware) will come in about 3rd/4th week in May. Unfortunately that means no show-and-tell parts for the Overland Expo. Also, for any party interested in the crashbar buckets from the first batch, 2 important things: 1. Let us know that you are interested via PM to secure your place in line, 2. Final parts won't be available until June/July. As explained in a previous post, the injection molded TPU liner won't get kicked-off with our supplier until we have the metal hardware parts in house.

Also, to mitigate risks for the initial production run, we decided to make all sheet metal parts in black. An earlier rendering showed the design in a black/silver configuration. We haven't given up on the idea yet, but don't want to delay the product for it. Welding sheet metal with different (anodized) colors can create dis-coloration in the weld zone. We will explore this further at a more opportune time.

Now back to the black hole which seemingly swallows all our resources lately. Its a new product we can't tell you anything about just yet. Except maybe that it is shape shifting :jack (we are now in the 3rd design, all visually totally different and each with multiple sub-versions). Each version is brutally subjected to peers, questioning its existence, functionality, visual design and purpose. All to one day getting to an awesome product. We shall see...:D. It will be interesting...
  12. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Being all busy the last couple of days to prepare for the Overland Expo. Lots of products to build and package. We will have some awesome deals at the Expo.

Assembling tail racks...
    IMG_1425.jpg IMG_1428.jpg IMG_1429.jpg IMG_1430.jpg
  14. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More parts and assemblies to do. This time risers...

IMG_1435.JPG IMG_1438.JPG IMG_1440.JPG IMG_1443.JPG
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  15. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally arrived in AZ for the Overland Expo, 2,800 miles and 3 days driving later. We will check into the Expo today and will have some exciting news coming up.

If you are thinking of attending the Expo, we just might have another good reason for you. We are looking for a new home for Casey's leather covered bike. We will have it on display at the show and will see who might be interested there, but will post the sale after the show here on advrider also.

All details of the bike and pictures can be found on page 17 of this thread http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/staubwolke.1158984/page-17. The bike also just got some press via the Robb Report http://robbreport.com/automobiles/s...ors-will-roll-through-next-overland-expo-west.
  16. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have a Memorial Day Sale going on right now. 30% off all items, limited supplies.
  17. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    came here to say i FINALLY mounted my risers today, they feel great

.. and what do i see in the thread above mine...

:fpalm... 30% off !!!.. rear grab handles ordered.
    thanks and have a great holiday !!
  18. R.J.

R.J. split personality

Oddometer:
    +1111 on these great bar risers. I have a few thousand Kms on these risers now, very comfortable and really tightened up the steering response.
    dpike likes this.
  19. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pictures, or it didn't happen :jack .

Your rear handles are on their way...
  20. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great to hear :clap.