Stealth Camping 101

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Rev, Mar 17, 2016.

1. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    If the pastor's phone number isn't listed, the church office number has always been listed. I call it and just leave a message with my name, number and that I'm camping out back for the night. I've only received a call back 2 or 3 times thanking me for letting them know I had been there.
    Eatmore Mudd and Jamie Z like this.
  2. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are these sunrise services, most churches have closed their doors till further notice.
  3. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    Good point!

Most are on ZOOM.
  4. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some are doing drive in services, like drive in movies.
  5. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean like the one in Alabama where everybody was cited with $500 fines even though they all stayed in their cars?
  6. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So... how about that stealth camping?
  7. ADVraider

ADVraider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that most campgrounds are closed, is the best time to implement all that knowhow!
  8. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, anyone out of Los Angeles area - down for some stealth camping?
  9. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Watched this video, and checked the links to the original websites as well... Pretty disgusting crap it is, reminded me of a video from a few months ago where a CEO of a startup which develops facial recognition software was trying to justify the deployment of facial recognition cameras in public places along the lines of
    - "Why all the blame? People are already giving up their privacy every day for a few years now!"
    Logic along the lines of "Why shouldn't I just leave all my trash here? There's a few cans on the ground anyway!"
    That people-tracing CEO is in Russia btw. And people there now (since mid-April) need permits to leave their own house. They need to have an government-developed (long before the Corona, I bet) app in their phones which shows that they have a valid reason to be going wherever they are going - that particular day. Every time they want to leave their houses - need to apply for a one-time, destination-specific permit.

So while this particular ODD TV channel has professional video editing typical of subscriber-building blogger - the stuff he's bringing up here is very real!

Americans have historically had a stronger consitution, and a much stronger sense of personal freedom, than nations in Europe and Asia. This has been under constant pressure for decades but I can see that Freedom is still much stonger here than in my country of birth. And I wholly approve of people who area ahead of the game about making sure we prioritize our freedom over force-fed "safety" from an invisible virus, or other dangers.

I do continue to wear a helmet when riding in no-helmet-law states, but I'm certainly AGAINST helmet laws of any kind.
    I do wear a seatbelt, and did so vast majority of the time even back when my old car didn't annoy the piss out of the driver if someone didn't buckle up. But I'm against any kind of seat belt laws.
    These days - I do wear a mask when I go to the grocery, and exercise increased hand hygeine after touching any public handle/doorknob/whatever - but I'm certainly AGAINST having i.e. campgrounds and parks closed!

Anyway... for now - I'm down for stealth-camping some time this week :-)
  10. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're far more open-minded than most in the thread I started over in CSM
  11. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I've been deeply annoyed by the all-penetrating information gathering which has been going on for, perhaps over a decade now.
    Also I come from Russia and regret to say that there the government is deploying technical means of limiting people's freedom... Means which as of today are too restricting to be deployed in the United States, but times are changing... What has already happened in China a long time ago, now not too long ago - in Russia as well. Americans have been holding on to personal freedom signficantly stronger, but that's not a fact to be taken for granted - that's a process to actively participate in every time we can!

In 2013 I've warned my friends that the feds will start filtering internet traffic - and in 2016 they started doing precisely that. I've urged people to familiarize themselves AND their moms - about VPN, proxy, and the like en masse...
    Not a fan of conspiracy theories, but I'm trying to stay ahead of the wave in terms of being informed, and think of ways to help myself and all like-minded people to keep as much freedom as they can :-)
  12. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the way the cop phrased his claim dumbstruck me as well.:loco

Well, answering literally like that would likely land oneself a night in the local jail, and a citation - which may eventually be dismissed in court, but - do you really wanna go through that? :-(

But I wonder: "Is it illegal to camp on public property, in general ?" :confused

Of course, in some (many) cases there is a sign prohibiting it, like "Park closed from such to such time", but when there is no such sign at all, no fence and no gate... should be fair game, no?
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  13. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    And money.

Everyone with a financial stake in the internet is making slices of money ( big or small makes no difference ) off of our information and data we generate.

From for purchase apps to subscriptions to service to web content we all generate the ones and zeros, bits and bites that make the data collection possible and we pay for the privilege of letting someone else reap the harvest.

We pay them to make money off of us ? That's just upside down.
    Dorian likes this.
  14. bentlink

bentlink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Canada you can camp on "Crown Land" (aka Gov land that is not a Park) for 14 to 21 days, depending on the Province. (EG BC 14, Ontario 21... dunno why different.) That is if you are Canadian -- they say a permit is required for non-Canadians, though I really doubt anyone is going to check your plates or ID you.
    And there is a LOT of wild Crown Land. Just have to leave it as good or better than you found it. So I don't feel stealth camping up here is so "pirate" unless you are near larger urban areas.
    OR if everything is under Covid lockdown. Though it seems it is still ok to camp on crown land as far as I can Google. Of course there is still the issue of snow at the moment...
    Shodan2 likes this.
  15. PilbaraGoat

PilbaraGoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stealth camping please
    Dan Diego likes this.
  16. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know! Almost everything above is far from stealth camping.

Asking for permission to camp on church property is called “camping” and about as far from stealth camping as one can get.
    PilbaraGoat likes this.
  17. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    I've "stealth camped" behind churches without asking permission...almost got my throat slit by meth-heads and/or heroin addicts in eastern Kentucky (Leslie County outside of Manchester) operating this way...I posted about this in a thread somewhere on advrider...may even be in this very thread...

Trying to get this thread back on track, gentlemen...
  18. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you were seen by meth heads—or anyone else—you weren’t stealth camping. You were just sleeping behind a church.
    Tall Man and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  19. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    I've said this before, but I'll say it again...there is no such thing as full stealth...you can't make yourself invisible...

Even "Stealth" Aircraft can be seen on radar and shot down...this happened in 1999 with a F-117 over Serbia...

For reference: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...17-was-shot-down-heres-how-it-went-down-37762
    rrpaigs22 likes this.
  20. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again...I’ve yet to get caught. And I’ve stealth camped in Serbia.

“You’re doing it all wrong.”
    Antikid likes this.