Stealth camping at cell tower sites?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by dox, Aug 3, 2011.

1. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    Meth heads are hitting cell towers here and stealing the copper.
    Some have alarms, maybe motion sensors. FWIW.
  2. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't that suck to get jacked-up by a bunch of tweakers in the middle of the night
  3. D R

D R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While the OP asked about cell tower sites, some have mentioned stealth camping around electrical sites. You might want to forgo the electircal sites. With the high cost of metals (in this case, copper) electrical sites all across the nation are being vandalized for easily removable copper components. This could leave you at the mercy of thieves who stumble across your camp site. If the thieves don't see you, or choose not to bother you, you could end up spending unwanted time explaining to responding police what you are doing there.
  4. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's probably safe to assume that locations with technology are also probably using technology.
  5. momanor

momanor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lest we forget security for cell sites would now fall under Homeland Security, the locals pop you and turn you over to the Feds to try and explain what you were up to. I would get more rest stretched out on the break down lane...:rofl
  6. D R

D R Been here awhile

Oddometer:

....not true
  7. bones_708

bones_708 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well if it is an FCC regulated site there are Fed laws against it but in truth you would most likely just have to deal with state laws which can be very serious anyway. I know in michigan it can be a feloney and I bet every state has some increase in seriousnes over normal trespass when it involves comunication sites.
  8. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    All this is why God invented Hampton Inns.
  9. Tucson Jim

Tucson Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

DON'T STEAL COPPER WIRE
  10. ULY-RPG

ULY-RPG cool hands adv

Oddometer:
    :eek1
  11. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    He should have went for the neutral.
  12. DRanger

DRanger Rockerville Rider

Oddometer:
    :rofl Stealth Camping. You guys crack me up. If there's no obvious public land and you want to camp free, talk to a local. Chances are they have campsite locations to refer you to. Here's another idea that's a shocker: Stop at the Sheriff's Office or ask a cop. :eek1 Those folks can be pretty helpful if you approach them in a genuinely friendly manner. But hey, if you want to sneak around and act in a suspicious manner, knock yourself out. Don't be surprised if you wake up with a 100 lumen flashlight shining in your face and hear the words "Police! Keep your hands where I can see them and do as I say."
  13. Thebes

Thebes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The FCC regulations would be against tampering with the radio station. That might include entering into a fenced and marked area, messing with it's power, etc. I don't think anyone in this thread was talking about jumping barbed-wire fences to camp among the equipment cabinets.

As for criminal trespass, in most states its not trespassing unless the property is properly marked, or you have been asked to leave. As a lot of these sites are on public lands camping near them probably does not constitute trespass in many cases. Ymmv, know the state's laws you are in, being on the right side of the law is no guarantee against arrest.

Safety- Aside from the RF safety factor, almost all commercial radio stations have towers and a large network of grounding straps in the soil around them. Sometimes (eg AM broadcast) these are a part of the antenna, other times they are just there for lightning protection. It would be a really really bad idea to be near this grounding network during a lightning strike.:eek1
  14. ElMartillo

ElMartillo I See Faces...

Oddometer:
    I just finished a 10,000 mile, 7 week tour of the lower 48. I'm on a budget. To meet my nutritional needs I buy trail mix, salame and beer (OK selection) at Walmart and I don't pay for camping as often as possible. About 6 days ago I was on the California coast just south of Crescent City. They wanted $35 for a tent site at (an un-named to protect location) State Park. Ridiculous. Down the street I take a left on a dirt road. 1/2 way up there's a locked gate with an FCC permit # on it, a chain with 7 or so locks. Well I pull on the gate and one of these old brass locks pops open, it's an open invitation. Up top outside another fence surrounding the actual tower and adjascent building it looks like they had just cleared the combustibles about 6 feet away from the fence. Nice, manicured spot for my bike, my tent and after transferring several hands-full of gravel from the road a nice fire pit. Free firewood, free campsite away from traffic noise and a killer view of the coastline...who could ask for (much) more? In the morning I cleaned up my site, got out early, popped that old brass lock back together, but if anyone realized I was there, who cares? If you choose the right spot, are travelling solo, and use that charm or at least feign as much ignorance as possible if you are found out, you'll get by just fine. Leave the worrying and $80 per night motels to the posers. You should have yourself a real adventure, take some risks. That's what makes life worth living, yeah?:wink:
  15. bones_708

bones_708 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well as the above was about entering a clearly marked area and circumventing what was intended to be a device to keep people out I can tell you that from my work in security for a power transmission company doing what ElMartillo did at a power substation could get you arrested for tresspasing. I don't know why it would be different for FCC sites. These sites are never "public" because at the very least the companies must lease the land which would still make you a tresspasser. ElMartillo feels he can get out of it or just pay a ticket and that's fine, his risk, but every reading should have no doubt that arrestable or not that they are squating where the "owner" doesn't want them to. Sure it's some big faceless company but they have their reasons and since I want people to respect my property and decisions I make about that property I try and give others, even faceless companies, the same.
  16. ElMartillo

ElMartillo I See Faces...

Oddometer:
    If a landowner has no idea I was there, I may as well not have been. I never disregard No Trespassing signs, I don't vandalize and my impact is invisible. In this way I show respect for both private and public properties/lands, fields, parks, meadows, streets and parking lots. I also take responsibility for my actions, and I urge everyone reading this to hold themselves to this level of respect and responsibility...

...and have fun, and feel like a kid again, and laugh as much as possible, and have great adventures, and come back with lots of cool stories to tell!:clap
  17. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:

I have lived alot of places, and I am still suprised by how ... uptight, the people in this part of Virginia can be when it comes to their land. People around these parts would rather let the property go to waste than let someone else benefit from its use. I would avoid getting caught on someones land around here.
    When I am on a trip I try to plan stops at local public forests for sleeping.
  18. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my experience, you're in the minority.

I don't normally camp on land which is clearly owned by an individual, though I frequently set up a tent on other types of private land such as churches, cemeteries, and an occasional business. On rare occasions I've ended up on private land where the landowner showed up and have yet to encounter anyone who didn't want me on their property.

There was the guy in southern Louisiana who drove up to check out the tent he saw on his property. He offered use of his shower and a spare bed if I wanted. I don't have any pictures of this encounter.

A landowner in Mexico came up on me after I'd gone through an unlocked gate to set up my tent. I figured I was in the middle of nowhere and nobody would ever see me, but I was wrong. I asked if it was ok that I stay and he said it was and then asked a bunch of questions about where I was from, what kind of things I'd seen, and where I was headed to next.

[​IMG]

A guy in Romania came out in the morning to find us on his land and offered us breakfast and a cup of coffee.

[​IMG]

That's the fellow on the right; I'm looking through the binoculars and my friend Corrado is on the left.

A bar owner in Mexico offered lunch if I was still camped out behind her bar in the morning when she opened up. Unfortunately, that didn't happen since opening was at 10 or 11 am and I was well on the road by then.

[​IMG]

A landowner in northern MN found me set up in his grazing pasture. He asked if I needed anything and asked me to close any gates I might open so his cattle didn't get out. Wished me a good night. Again, no picture.

I've never yet had anyone angry or ask me to leave. At worst, they're a little surprised to find me at first.

You generally have to try pretty hard to make most people mad. If you give me your address, I'll be sure not to set up a tent there.

Jamie
  19. DRanger

DRanger Rockerville Rider

Oddometer:
    Most public land in the western states is prominantly signed. Out in my part of the world, it's considered good manners to ask someone before you trespass on their property. A polite request often earns you an invitation to dinner or a guided tour to the best camping spot. Farmers and ranchers are good people who don't mind lending a hand or granting a favor, but they have honest concerns on how their land is used. Leave a gate open, and a herd of cattle or horses might get into a neighbor's crop field or founder on alfalfa. Leaving a campfire smoldering could cause a wildfire that burns hundreds of acres of grazing land they need to raise cattle, sheep, or horses. Their land is their livlihood and their future depends on how well they manage the land. They will likely extend you hospitality if you have the decency to approach them in an honest and open manner. Sneak around like a thief, and you might get treated like one. Show the landowner a little consideration.
  20. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    I think some people look for reasons to get mad at others.
    If the gate has been left open and the "tresspasser" is disrespecting the land I can see the issue.
    But if the "tresspasser" has shut the gate and isnt making a problem why should the landowner? Just cause they can?
    We have land that we let people hunt on in PA, when the hunters make a mess those specific hunters are sent to clean it up and asked not to return. Everyone else is still welcome.

If you find someone on your land treat them as they have treated you.