Stealth Camping on Public Land

Discussion in 'Americas' started by dredman, Nov 24, 2019.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    Can you send me a link to those forms when you find them?
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Sure will....might be a while.....a long long ling long ling ling ling ling long long ling ling ling long......................
  3. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tuckers, I don't disagree with you.

For plated bikes, to ride on Fed land you need a pass and current street registration. To ride on WA state land you need a pass and current street registration. In WA, on state lands, you can dual register your bike (ORV and street) to eliminate the need for a state pass for that bike.
    sieg likes this.
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I was under the impression you needed a pass for off road vehicles, but your street reg superseded that. Oh well. I live in California...you can ride anyplace with street reg....still need an entry fee/pass for Nat Parks of course... and entry fee/pass to some State/County parks...but no special/extra/fee/pass for a street registered vehicle to go off road. There is no argument that some places require an entry fee or pass...the argument is do you have to buy an OFF ROAD permit/pass/fee for a street registered vehicle with license plate? In California you do not. Am I to understand in some States you are required to buy an EXTRA pass to take your registered on road vehicle off road? OR is it a fee for entry to a certain regulated area?
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Some riders in California have 'dual registered' their bikes but it's superfluous. You get a green sticker for off road only, you get a license plate for either on/off...your license plate IS DUAL REGISTRATION. There has been a myth/legend/rumor/mistruth/lie/false info that you need a green sticker to go off road here...you do not...unless you have a vehicle with no street reg or license plate, namely a pure off road vehicle. You can if you like register your on road vehicle with a green sticker only...but then it's for off road use only. You can't ride it on the street that way, even if it is otherwise street legal. It's a simple remedy.....people may twist and turn it and interpret it many ways....but it's quite clear.
  6. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    1- in WA if you convert a factory dirt bike to street legal, one is required to pay the ORV and street registrations. In this case you do not need to also buy a state pass (called a Discover Pass).

2- in WA to ride a street licensed bike on any state owned land you need to have a state pass (Discover Pass) or have it dual registered.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Ahh....we have stopped conversions of dirt bikes. They have a different Federal VIN that designates them as such. Being as they need a Federal safety sticker and DOT wheels/brakes/lights/turn signals/emissions equipment/tires and maybe somethings I have missed the opportunity has passed. Now California DMV goes off the 17 digit Federal VIN. It's business name is 'public vin' meaning it has to be readable by the public. Hence why your car VIN now shows clearly on your windshield pillar for all to see. Some of the bike VIN is somewhat obscured but nevertheless it is 'public'.....this is in part because a person can easily change their license plates but changing a VIN is harder. When buying/selling/repo/ any vehicle of course you also go off the 17 digit Federal public VIN (vehicle identification number). I read just today that some states are recalling the street reg of converted off road vehicles. I was doodling around the web. I don't recall where it was but a little surfing will get you there.
  8. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every state is different. Why, not only are their vehicle codes are unique, so are the regulations in their State Parks!!

Wow, what a surprise!
    sieg likes this.
  9. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not true in Colorado. We were told by the rangers that if we ride off asphalt on a street legal motorcycle that we need to have a trail pass. What you said used to be true but they changed it.
  10. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm off asphalt no. Off roads yes. On a trail yes. For example only main the street into Silverton is paved. So Ranger Rex is saying I need a Trail Pass on my Camaro to drive it around town. :imaposer
    Many of the passes, actually most all of them, are county roads they aren't asphalt, but they are county maintained roads that are open to the public. It does get little confusing in CO. as to what's what. I talked to the FS, the DNR and the police and was assured by all that for the passes I were riding I would not need a trail pass.
    I agree that in most, if not all, states you need a trail pass to ride trail even if you have a license plate. But everything unpaved is not a trail.
    scarysharkface likes this.
  11. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    We stopped by a ranger station and said we were just riding the passes. The ranger said we had to have a trail pass. I tried to argue the point that they were county roads and we had license plates. They said they recently changed the law. It was only $25 and all the money goes to trail maintenance, so no big deal.
  12. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Isn't it reassuring how you can two different opinions from the people enforcing the same laws.
    sieg likes this.
  13. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is exactly why I said the pass, whichever one may (or may not be) be required, is cheap insurance. If you get a ticket without a pass, even if a judge over rules it later in court, you'll have to give up your day to go to court, likely have to travel a ways to get there, maybe pay for parking, etc. Or just pay for the pass and not get the ticket, $25 or whatever it is in your area.
  14. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know, I'll get a trail pass on my dually before pulling my 44ft toyhauler down the dirt street to the campground inside of Silverton this July.
    -E- likes this.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I don’t think that is necessary. I got the impression that it only applies to 2 wheel vehicles.
  16. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Then you have to go to court and prove your innocence. Been there done that. Waste of my time and money and taxpayers (mine) money.
  18. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Be mindful of our responses...name calling and verbal abuse could get this booted to the basement.....THEN all carp will break loose.
  19. -E-

Oddometer:
  20. -E-

Oddometer:
    The basement is where this thread belongs. Lots of incorrect info here. Better off using Google.
    squidchief and sieg like this.