Stebel R1200GS horn kit review

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Artboy57, Feb 27, 2006.

1. (sp?)

(sp?) flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer:
    Good point. I'll give that a try. I have some contact cleaner and prep which I'll also try.

Then there's the seemingly limitless supply of automotive relays to try.
  2. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    I'd opt for one of those marine grade 40amp rated relays. Just to make sure that the overkill factor is fully engaged… :evil

Besides being an electro-expert I'm sure you know about crest factors and motor input current characteristics… :deal

JJ :gerg

3. jlizarzaburu

jlizarzaburu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any experience installing this Stebel Nautilus Motorcycle Black Horn in a 2008 R1200GS with ESA?? It looks that there is not much room for it.
  4. Flash1034

Flash1034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Awesome! FTB
  5. Monsignore

Monsignore Plunger Boy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for coming late to the party...
    I just got the horn and Plug-n-Play wiring kit from Biker Hiway. After looking thru the various threads for installation tips I'm left with this question:

How necessary is a custom mounting bracket for install? Can the horn be safely mounted with the stock pieces?

I don't have scrap pieces of aluminum lying around the apartment, let alone a workshop to fabricate anything.

Thanks.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stock mounting wont work with very namy bikes. Not knowing which bike you have I couldn't say, but I have yet to see an R1200 that would work with the stock mount. Your best bet is to buy a bike specific mounting kit requireing no fabrication. Don't forget the wiring must be included with a relay.

Jim :brow
  7. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Less than 11 bucks and has a good review in MCN. Just wondering if anyone has installed this on a 12GS (mines a 2009)? Looks like it will mount pretty close to where the stock one is located.

Also, my 2009 12GS has ESA so this might complicate things. :huh

Sorry about this pic size. Can't figure out how to downsize it.
  8. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just installed the new horn. Pretty simple install. The hardest part was taking off the bracket from the original horn (had to partially remove the gas tank to get to the screw). I used the bracket that came with the Fiaam and bent it so the horn would fit deeper into the bike and clear the forks, ESA, etc. Also bolted it to the brake line bolt instead of the horn mount bolt. Then it was just a matter of tapping into the two horn wires and plugging in the new horn. End result is a lower tone and much louder. :clap

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]