Stebel R1200GS horn kit review

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Artboy57, Feb 27, 2006.

1. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I presume you didn't call first.:evil

Seriously, I have a good impression of adventurework from this forum. I have tried twice to order, both times had questions. Called, left my phone #, and no reply, ever. Eventually got the parts elsewhere. I called again Monday, was interested in this horn kit, bar risers, footpeg options, couple other things. Again, no reply.

I realize he has a day job, but it's hard to order certain items with out some input. I presume this place would be good since he apparantly has a GS.

Am I doing something wrong, or is my good impression misplaced?

greg
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya, Andrew has it a tough.. He's sort of a victim of his own success. Day job, family obligations, and he says he gets upwards of a 100 emails a day and half as many phone calls. I'd be leery to quit my day job to pursue his business which right now is profiting from the adv-biking trend.. but who knows when this trend will drop off and a new trend emerge... (choppers, anyone?:rofl )

When I ordered from him, I realized he's not going to be shipping it like Amazon.com does, but I'd like to support his efforts and since my bike is parked for the winter, it's not like it's an emergency..

He did send me an email saying he shipped the goods by USPS Global Priority, so I hope to have them soon. I will do a pictorial of the mounting kit and parts.

I have installed the Nautilus Compact on my KLR and it sure wakes up those cell phone talkers wandering into my lane. I have the big stebel nautilus that I was going to hang on my Terranova light bar, but it's to friggin big, I decided to try the stealth version, and hope to fit it in the location of the stock horn.. if not, it goes on the lightbar. Stay tuned.
  3. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Andrew called this morning, had a great conversation. My assumption, that he is knowledgable and could help in some decisions, was well founded.

I too have a Stebel horn and kit on order:lol3 ,

several other bits as well.

greg
  4. GB

Oddometer:
    Be sure to document the installation for others to see, in case I can't take good pics.. plus you're in Cali, so you'll be installing it in the great outdoors!!

Yes, Andrew is very knowledgeable and very helpful. Trouble is, he says the average phone call with a customer lasts about 30 minutes. Try filling orders, replying to hundreds of email and return phone calls... patience and understanding would help him a great deal. :thumb
  5. UT R1150R

UT R1150R Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Stebel Nautilus Compact arrived today and I can't wait to try it out on my R1150R

Question: I've read in some posts that a 30 amp inline fuse must be used. The directions that came with the horn show that a 20 amp fuse is required. I will do what the directions say but I also wanted to know if any of you had used a 30 amp fuse and why.

Thanks!

John from Utah
  6. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Maybe try it with the 20 first. The inline fuse holder should be able to just throw in a 30 if you need to. I'm interested in one of these also. Are they comein through no problem with andrew bein so busy and all? And i thought he was goin away for a while or sumthin
  7. webwalker

webwalker Monitor monitor

Oddometer:
    If you go to his site, it looks like he's taking a well deserved vacation for a couple of weeks.

8. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    I ordered one monday afternoon. It arrived at 10:25 this morning. :deal
  9. GB

Oddometer:
    I've used a 20 AMP inline ATO type fuse, as close to the battery as possible. No problems, and no blown fuses. :D
  10. UT R1150R

UT R1150R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!

Can't wait to do the freight-train on cell yakers!

:norton
  11. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    Actually the kit comes with everything but the horn:baldy

As I found out Friday when mine arrived.
  12. RandyShields

RandyShields RandyShields

Oddometer:
    Marty, welcome back from the continent. The Nautilus compact is the one I demo'd for the crew at Cedar Key. It does perform as advertised, but as previously reported, is not plug and play. I would definitely advise to get the install kit.

Randy
  13. GB

Oddometer:
    My kit and horn arrived and have been installed. The custom made mounting bracket is the key to easy mounting. I have taken some pics and hope to post them soon..

Thanks Andrew F. at advworkshop! :thumb
  14. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Thanks Randy,

Just ordered the kit to go with the horn I got a few days ago. That was one hell of a horn at cedar key. Just sent you an email.
  15. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    Which horn do I order to go with the kit?
  16. GB

Oddometer:
    The mounting bracket and machined aluminum part that bolts into the existing fastener on the bike are what makes this kit worth getting. Plus, there's that ingenious little wire with pin that attaches to the positive side of the stock horn harness. I used a paint stripping heat gun to melt the shrink tubing to hold the wire in place... the rest is simple.

you need to buy an inline fuse holder, and wire long enough to reach the battery.

Here's the complete kit:

[​IMG]

The bracket is attached:
    [​IMG]

and now with the horn attached:
    [​IMG]
  17. Artboy57

Artboy57 Slave to THE MOUSE

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking on posting photos , Gadget Boy. After I whined about bad pics in the instructions, I of course didn't include any in my review!:baldy I'm trying to figure out how to link to my .Mac account for photos in future.Ditto on the thanks to Senor Fakete!
  18. Artboy57

Artboy57 Slave to THE MOUSE

Oddometer:
    Nautilus Compact:clap
  19. GB

Oddometer:
    Ya, the pics that come with the instructions are pretty bad.. photocopied too many times...

I found the whole thing super easy to install. I'm very pleased with it.. no more meep meep sucky GS horn!

Look out!! FIAM FIAM!!!

:lol3
  20. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the Info on the nautulas horn. Questions: About how much does it weigh? Will it in fact go south if it ever get real wet?

Do you think a cage driver with windows up and stereo on will hear it if blown say about 25-50 feet away?

Thanks again.