Stebel R1200GS horn kit review

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Artboy57, Feb 27, 2006.

1. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I"ve had one on my KLR and I've ridden that bike in the worst off road conditions... if you keep the trumpet facing down, or at least 40 degree angle to the ground, no water should enter it and stay inside it.

It weighs about a pound...

As for cagers hearing it with the tunes cranked up and the windows closed? :dunno but if they don't, your next choice would a freight train's horn because this baby's LOUD and has a piercing high pitch sound.
  2. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

You seem to up on most of the farkles. I'm really having trouble trying to decide on which Aux lighting system to go with. I just received my GMT Moto Light MOunts from Adventurers Workshop for my 1150GS. I want to stay sort of smallish to medium size on the lights. So, I've been looking at everyting from the Phillips HID's, the FF200 HID, Piaa 910's, FF100's, FF50 and the Optilux 2400 Angel Eye.

Any favorites? Any Advice?

Thanks
  3. UT R1150R

UT R1150R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gadget Boy, can you please explain how that little wire with the pin works?

If your bike is like mine (R1150R), there was a connector to the stock horn that held two wires and this connector just plugged into the stock horn.

Do you just plug in the new wire (with pin) into the + wire from the stock horn harness? If that's all there is, then I'm gonna be :rayof.

I was trying to figure out which wire to tap into from the horn switch and when I saw your post it gave me, well, hope. :viking

You may have saved my wife and daughter from hearing a string of obsenities and flying tools. :dog

Can you also let me know what guage wire that little thin one is?

Thanks!!
  4. dlew

dlew Daypass Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for posting the photos gadgetboy.

i've already ordered my horn AND the kit from andrew and hopefull it got sent out before he left :D

the preload adjustment on my wilbers is at the top of the shock. will the new horn prevent access with a spanner tool to this area now?
  5. GB

Oddometer:
    I don't know how the R1150R's harness is like, but on the 12GS, the 2 leads to the horn harness are female, so you simply insert the pin and the shrink tubing into the lead and then heat the shrink tubing to hold it in place. It really works nicely. The lead wire is 18 gauge. You then add a spade and attach it to the relay included with the horn.

The mounting kit comes with a piggy pack spade connector to piggy back it onto one of the relay point.

Hope this helps.
  6. GB

Oddometer:
    Top of the shock might be blocked, but removing the horn is simple. Remove the fastener that threads into the machined aluminum thingy, and the horn comes down and sits in the telelever.

On the stock shock, the preload is at the bottom and access is clear.
  7. GB

Oddometer:
    How much money do you want to spend? If you want small with lots of birght white light, I'd say the Piaa 1100xx are a great buy. They are very small, but give out a lot of light. The 910s are good too, but aren't so small.. HID's are the way to go, if you have the $$ and have space to attach the ballasts. There's been quite a few threads on auxiliary lighting, you might want to do a search for a more comprehensive report.
  8. UT R1150R

UT R1150R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I think I understand this :wink:. Hopefully by tomorrow I will be waking up the morning commuters :ear.

John
  9. PegasoPat

PegasoPat General Smart Ass

Oddometer:
    OK my stebel horn just arrived at ten this morning having only ordered it on Friday from California. That is service!:clap . So I hooked it up and fell over the first time I pressed the horn button!!!:D If they don't hear this, ain't nothin gonna help you:lol3 Cheap compared to how much it will help in traffic. Best money I have spent in a while.
  10. GB

Oddometer:
    let's hear how the installation goes and a big thank you to Andrew F at advworkshop for his hard work. :thumb
  11. PegasoPat

Oddometer:
    I got the horn this morning and tested it with temporary wires and switch. Love the horn, now I just need my gs to mount it on. I just got back from the BMW dealer where I asked for a projected date for my new bikes arrival. I was told 3 to five weeks when I placed the order. Its been over three weeks to I figure it is getting close:clap But was told today it would be about two months yet:huh . I calmly expressed my dissapointment:cry with the "date bait and switch" and they calmy asked if I wanted my money back:deal . "If that will get the bike here faster, yes". But it wouldn't and I certainly want the bike, so I will wait some more and dream of my new 1200GS. Of course with its new wonderful new horn installed! And all the other farkles I have waiting for it.
  12. UT R1150R

UT R1150R Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sucks. You could always get a KTM 950 Adventure instead. Wait, did I just post that in "GSpot"? :hide
  13. GB

Oddometer:
    PegasoPat,

BMW of Little Rock is the self proclaimed "GS CENTRAL". They have lots of them in stock... if you're that eager, they could ship you one, and in funky colors too. :deal
  14. GB

Oddometer:
    p.s. when I ordered my bike in Dec. I didn't want it till May 1. By the time I picked it up, I had a couple of big boxes full of accessories for it.. you're on the right track.. start with the horn.. and keep going!
  15. PegasoPat

Oddometer:
    I have the horn and a few other things from Touratech just waiting for their new home. I would love to have the bike today but I do want it just the way I ordered it:deal . So for now I will have to wait for my Grey on Grey GS with, grey seat, chrome exhuast, heated grips, clear turn signals, spoke wheels, ABS, BMW system cases and anything else I could think of to start. OH yes and a great horn! It is perfect biking weather here in Florida and I am just watching it go by. Should have my bike by Hurricane season. Perhaps my new horn will work during evacuations.:wink:
    PS I did think of the KTM very seriously but needed better dealer network, and yes I said that in GSPOT.
  16. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    Yep, and he could get a moped too.:rofl
  17. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer:
    GB:

How did you power the horn? :ear
  18. GB

Oddometer:
    The horn is powered off the battery, technically speaking. You run the 2 leads from the relay to the battery. Well, one of them you can just attach it to a grounding point on the frame, no point in running it to the battery. The +ve lead is supposed to go to the battery, but be sure to attach an inline fuse on that lead. I attached mine to the Blue Sea fusebox's +ve lead from the battery.

I recommend you order the installation kit for the 12GS. Ya, it costs as much as the horn does, but it makes the job so much easier and neater.
  19. PegasoPat

Oddometer:
    I always have a battery or two sitting around, just hooked it up directly to my spare battery and used a switch from my "electrical stuff box" and woke the neighborhood:eek1 Man I even scared myself and I was expecting the horn, but not THAT much horn:clap I tell you this should be standard equipment on all bikes. The horn on my Aprillia goes meep meeep and then fades into a small duck call if I hold it too long. So all I ever get is a friendly meep meep or the sound of a dieing duck in a spiral crash!
  20. GB

Oddometer:
    You have too much time on your hands and you are a "horny" guy! :lol3