Stebel R1200GS horn kit review

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Artboy57, Feb 27, 2006.

1. UT R1150R

UT R1150R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got the horn installed last night. As the french would say... Sacre Bleu!! this thing is loud.

Thanks for everyone's help :clap.

John
  2. drhines

drhines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I checked the Adv Workshop website. I was looking for a Stebel Nautlius compact. I can find a Stebel compact and I can find a Nautlius but no Nautlius compact. Which horn are you ordering for the R12GS.
  3. UT R1150R

UT R1150R Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. dlew

dlew Daypass Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone who placed an order--horn or other items--from Andrew just before he closed-up on March 2nd received their goods?
  5. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:

30 amps??!?!? what are you guys doing with this thing, welding or something? :eek1
  6. PegasoPat

PegasoPat General Smart Ass

Oddometer:
    I knew that Andrew was going away so I ordered my horn from California Sport Touring Inc. I had it in my hands in two days! It took two more days for the charge to appear on my Credit Card! Now that is service. It was few $$ cheaper there two.
    Its a great horn, and worth the money no matter where you get.:clap
  7. rcompton

rcompton I am not Iron Man

Oddometer:
    Just installed the Stebel Nautilus on my R1150GS. After yet another close run in with an SUV, followed by my meek 'beep', and having heard this horn in Daytona at Twisted Sisters booth I knew I was ready! 15 minutes using the ready made kit (just a bracket and a couple wires..... nothing fancy) and I ave already hurt my ears! :clap
  8. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    Anybody put these on a 1100GS? maybe with the 1150 kit? dunno
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    NJ_Bob has done it on his bike, using not the Nautilus Compact but the big ass full Nautilus.. he has a post with pics.. Look him up :thumb
  10. Big Blue

Big Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has he closed shop? I have called twice with no answer.
  11. AFekete

AFekete Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just busy as ever I cannot answer two phones at once.

call me at 973-258-0034...

I'll be waiting..

thanks,
    Andrew

You can also call Kurt. His number is listed on the first page of our site.
  12. Flash412

Flash412 Elk Biffer

Oddometer:
    The sucker is D-E-A-D. The horn SUCKS, it does not blow. A tuba player with emphasema makes more noise. I hereby declare the Stebel Nautilus a BIG WASTE OF MONEY. I am going to replace it with Framm knock-offs from Harbor Freight. They cost less than a quarter the money, are nearly as loud and last at least ten times as long.
  13. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did you install it? Was the trumpet facing down? I've had one for over a 2 years on my KLR and it's been through, rain, mud, off road shake and back test.. that thing blows like a freight train.... it's fantastic.
  14. Flash412

Flash412 Elk Biffer

Oddometer:
    Trumpet down, mounted to crash bar on a Gran Canyon. Mouth of trumpet was facing about 45 degrees to the left so that wheel spray did not go up into it.
  15. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ditto - but three yearson ... and one of best mods I did and began popularising it.
  16. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok - this weekend I decided that my week old 1200 Adventure needed the Nautilus Treatment. I first tried one of these almost four years ago on my 1150 and posted here about it and the Nautilus has subsequently become the LOUD horn of choice. Anyway I had read that some had made bent mounting brackets etc but thought I would first have a look with an open mind ... I had a standard, non compact, new Naultilus (I have not seen the compact in SA). Removed the OEM pathetic bicycle beeper and started possible positioning - first impression was that there was no significant less space than 1150. Soon realised it would fit very easily with one flat 2" bracket. Very simply one does not use the OEM mounting bolt. You use the bolt on the LHS looking up forks that holds the forward facing subframe (there are two, one on each side just above where the OEM horn was). You bolt a flat 2" piece of flat steel or alu (as I did) drilled top and bottom - top for subframe bolt bottom for horn bolt ... and away you go... The trick is that the horn part faces forward with compressor rearward. I have pics but no smugmug. Someone pmail me who can post pics. Really is the easiest and neatest of installs. Electrically wire through relay and no CANBUS fuss!
  17. duckboy

duckboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so i take it using the Adventurers Workshop r12gs Install kit did not require any cutting & splicing of stock wires??? :huh

i don't want to do this mod if i have to modify the stock connectors or wires... not exactly the most electrically talented...:D

duckboy
  18. duckboy

duckboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone???
  19. Captain Ned

Captain Ned Chafuggalooginatchacaahn!

Oddometer:
    I installed the compact Stebel using the AW mount kit on an R1200GS. Indeed you do not have to cut any original wires and could easily return the bike to stock condition if you wanted to. Probably one of the better sub-$100 safety improvements you can make.
  20. 1WDrive

1WDrive Here for the thrills ...

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Just posting picures on behalf of BiG DoM. Thanks for sending them!

1. The Aluminum Bracket:
    [​IMG]

2. The bracket attached to the Nautilus, at slight angle:
    [​IMG]

3 & 4. Views looking down into fork well from above - right hand side:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. View looking up forks from front - horn facing down and forward (does not touch any brake lines or snag forks)

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    -Heado