Stebel R1200GS horn kit review

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Artboy57, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Central Scrutanizer

Central Scrutanizer PC M629 LH

Oddometer:
    Same flu hit me -I installed mine over weekend (I got suckered into the Fastways also) My sebel kit came without instructions. Emailed Andrew and he replied almost instantly with ms word instructions. Cool.

Haven't tried to trip the thing with horn fault per above. It's a tactical use only horn.... Anyway, 7 seconds on that thing and you're begging someone to unsheath a gun. Loud.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Sorry, I can't seem to find the instructions sheet.. anyone else care to type it out, how the wiring is hooked up the relay as per the advworkshop kit?
  3. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Has anyone measured the db output from one of these puppies at the usual 3' distance?

My triple horn setup creates a 113db sound field @ 3'... Enough that deer turn their heads to figure out what's making all the racket.

Just curious

JJ
  4. jb

jb waystupid

Oddometer:
    I finished my install today. Got a little chest pain when I tested it the first time in the driveway.:evil

I did manage to break off the original horn bolt in the aluminum spacer from the AW kit. That thing was a bitch to get out, but after an hour or so of cutting, grinding and punching, I had a gnarly looking hole where the original bolt had been. I need to contact Andrew to see about getting another spacer, but I did manage to put together another setup with a spacer from my local hardware store to use with the AW bracket.

I almost look forward to my next encounter with a cager. Emphasis on ALMOST!
  5. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:

PLEASE someone help me - which terminals on the ADV Workshop relay are joined?

6. RandyShields

RandyShields RandyShields

Oddometer:
  7. BiG DoM

Oddometer:
  8. Lupin

Lupin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got my horn and install kit in the mail today!! Woo-hoo! :clapGreat service from The Adventure Workshop and I'll be using them more in the future.

I'm willing to try and install it myself, but I'm pretty lousy mechanically (and a bike newb). I don't mind trying mechanical stuff out myself, but I have to admit, tampering with electrics makes me really nervous. Are there any advrider people in the San Francisco Bay Area who would be willing to walk a newb through it this weekend? I don't mind riding a ways to meet anyone willing to help if it means less of a chance of me screwing my new adventure. :evil
  9. Running on Empty

Running on Empty Gone native

Oddometer:
    Just installed the Stebel compact airhorn from Adventurer's Workshop this past weekend on my 06 GS. Big improvement over the stock horn and a single BMW RT horn I had installed to replace the stock horn. Had a chance to use it earlier today on a driver sitting at a green light. She heard me loud and clear as did every driver around us. Heads in all directions turned to look at where the loud honk came from.

I installed the Stebel on the original mounting stud using the hardware and bracket that came with the horn. I also used the GS install kit and ran the wires along the left side of the gas tank. Mounted the relay on the bracket found just above the battery. It worked out great, and I am no longer in search of a horn worthy of being called one.
  10. Running on Empty

Running on Empty Gone native

Oddometer:
    I'm not mechanical either, but I didn't have much trouble doing the install myself instead of paying a mechanic to do it for me. Just remove the side panels and beak to gain room for mounting the horn where the other horn is. Read the directions carefully, but everything you need should be included with the horn and mounting kit. It is pretty simple to do, at least I thought so. I would recommend doing a dry run on paper first though to better understand the installation directions.
  11. VDRZANE

VDRZANE Salty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can somebody please list the parts that I would need to buy to make my own "installation kit" for an R1150GS - like what Andrew sells? I bought my horn from him a few months ago, BEFORE he had this magical installation kit available. I have been out of the country and now that I'm home, I'd like to install my horn!!

I probably have everything I need here at home and don't exactly want to throw another $30 around if I don't have too...

Thanks!
  12. Hi_Fi_Guy

Hi_Fi_Guy Teutonic Terror

Oddometer:
    To all the people posting about their new horn cutting out after repeated "beeps" just thought you might like to know that my '06 with stock horn does the same thing so it may not be an ill side-effect of the upgrade.

So far I have discovered:

- 3-5 beeps in a row and the canbus shuts down the horn... not so safe in Phoenix traffic.

- Honk and grab a handful of brake at the same time... no more horn

Gong to try to break my multiple beep habit and try one long beep next time and see what the can-bus does.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Regardless, this sounds like one sweet ugrade.
  13. Madeinitaly

Madeinitaly Confused Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Crap,
    I just ordered the horn and somebody posts a problem.
    Anybody reporting the same?

Cheers,
    Alberto
  14. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Nautilus horn installed per the instructions with the mounting kit supplied by the advworkhop.com works flawlessly. It doesn't cut out. I wish I had saved the intructions sheet for the wiring though. Anyone willing to scan and post, please do.. Big Dom is still looking for help in that area..
  15. BiG DoM

Oddometer:
    Andrew kindly mailed me the instructions which I think will help me rewire the thang to work without cutting out - thanks Andrew :thumb
  16. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Details? I'm interested in seeing how it can be wired so as to increase current draw to fool the CAN sensor. Unless of course the ADV workshop "kit" has a ballast resistor in the wiring loom; in which case you will still need said resistor.

Regards
  17. Lupin

Lupin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm gonna give this a shot this Saturday. I have the installation kit so how hard could it be? Just in case though, does anyone have a link to any place on the web that might have a couple of pictures of the different steps? The directions seem fairly straight forward, but peetchurs always help.
  18. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had my 12GS at BMW Denver yesterday for some service work and asked them to install my Stebel.

The tech said it was a pretty tight fit (as we all know). In looking up there, I am a little concerned about the front brake line and that it might wear a bit on the compressor over time. I'll keep an eye on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. BiG DoM

Oddometer:
    My post further up thread really only requires a small steel or alu plate with two drilled holes (8.5mm for horn and 6mm for bracket) and will mount the standard Nautilus with NO touching of brake line at all and not vibrational flexing ... so I am sure the compact would clear the line even better. Using the subframe bolt allows the horn to be positioned higher and further in (see my pic and you can see the unused OEM horn bolt above the compressor). As with my original post, some 3 + years ago when I fitted the first Nautilus and reported it here, the best position is with the compressor facing back and horns forward IMHO.
  20. Lupin

Lupin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, today with the help of a friend who is an electrical engineer, I had a go at installing the stebel horn with the gs install kit.

We followed the directions carefully but to no avail. We triple checked the connections to make sure they were the right ones going to the right places. It all looked correct but when I tried to start the bike, nothing would happen. We went over it with a fine tooth comb but nothing we did seemed to work. The bike would turn on ok, no errors or complaints from it, it just wouldn't start and nothing from the horn.

I have an 06 GS Adventure, does that make any difference? I thought electrically, they were pretty much the same as the standard GS1200s. And I used the GS install kit from the Adventurers Workshop so I was kind of surprised when it wouldn't work.

Any suggestions on trouble shooting this? I really dont want to go back to the weak oem horn.