1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Stebel R1200GS horn kit review

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Artboy57, Feb 27, 2006.

1. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rewired mine with help from the AW instructions (I did not have their kit) and it now works perfectly ... can hoot for however long one wants with no cutout or error messages. Basically the earth/ground tab on the relay needs to have a tripple piggyback connector that allows it to receive the brown wire from the original horn wiring, the wire from the - side of the new horn and then a connector to the - side of the battery (or as I did to a good earth on the frame). The #30 is wired directly to the battery with an inline fuse.
  2. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    If you disconnect then the bike starts? Maybe someone hit the gear shifter while you were working on it, as in, its still in neutral, right?
  3. drdata

drdata R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Can you comment on what happens to the original OEM horn hot lead? I assume that is driving the relay correct?

I'm not able to figure out how the triple-splice, which has the OEM horn's ground connection (brown) tied to the others, eliminates faults with too little current on the OEM horn's hot lead.

I'm glad its working.
  4. Lupin

Lupin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone take a pic and label the wires and how their connected to the item with the connectors? I know I'm doing it right, but I'd like some sort of visual confirmation. I'm going to give this another shot this weekend and see how things go.

I checked the stand and all that when I couldnt get it started, plus I had about a dozen hecklers standing around watching and making suggestions. All to no avail.
  5. BiG DoM

Oddometer:
    OK here goes - no pic Lupin but easy to follow:(and it works no problems)

1) Mount horn
    2) Connect + side of horn to relay #87 terminal
    3) Make a short three way connector that will fit relay terminal #85
    (ie female connector onto #85 with three wires each with its own female connector)
    3) Connect - side of horn to one of the # 85 terminals
    4) Connect the brown wire from OEM horn wires to another # 85 terminal
    5) Connect the third # 85 three way connector to the - side of battery or good ground on bike.
    6) Connect relay #86 terminal to green/yellow (hot) wire from OEM horn wiring.
    7) Finally connect terminal #30 to + 12v side of battery with a 20A inline fuse.
    HONK AWAY!

(draw yourself a little picture of wiring - it helps)
  6. Lupin

Lupin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds pretty straight forward. I still have a couple o' questions though.

- Do you have a link for the 3 way connector so I can see what I need to pick up? I have no idea about anything electrical, and only learned how to crimp and create wires last weekend. If theres a online site that shows what it looks like then I know what I'm getting is correct.

- Step 4, brown wire from oem horn wires? I don't recall any brown wire, I remember the green on on the oem connector that then gets sealed up but no brown. Maybe this is my problem. heh heh. Ahhh, reading back in the posts, I see its the ground wire. Brown wire, that makes sense now. I still dont recall seeing it though. Is it located where the horn is, or somewhere else? Yes I know, pretty stupid question..

- I'm using a 15 amp fuse, should I go to 20 amp?

Thanks for your help so far. :) This makes me want to try changing it tonight, but I have no light in my garage... I will draw it out too, that sounds like it will help.
  7. BiG DoM

Oddometer:

OK - watch my lips :) .... if you can crimp wires you can make the 3-way 'piggyback' connector. Take three pieces of wire about 8cm long, strip all ends back 1cm, twist three ends together with a pair of pliers, insert into a female spade connector (one that fits the male spades on the relay) ... crimp tight. this is the end that will go onto # 85. Take three more of the same connectors and put one each on the end of those three wires ... you now have the 3 way connector that will accept male spade connectors from - on horn, brown, and - earth/battery.

OEM horn had two wires entering a little black connector ... if you are doing it my way lose this connector and you will have a green (hot 12v) and brown (- earth/ground) wire.

Will work with a 15A fuse but horn states 20A.
  8. Lupin

Lupin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I was expecting the three way to be something a little more elaborate then that. heh heh. Easy enough.

I'll have another look at the connector. That seems pretty straightforward to, plus I'll grab a 20amp fuse to replace the 15.

Thanks!! I have a good feeling about this.

And just for reference, the wiring is still the same even if I have a 06 Adventure instead of the 1150? Hmm... Am I the first person to attempt this on the new Adventures?
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    BigDom,

I mounted an all out search to find the instructions for you, and I did! They were with my Touratech instructions that come with the TT toys. I see I arrived too late to the party. Glad to see it all worked out. The AWS mounting kit is brilliantly simple. No wires to cut and a very good mounting bracket.

:beer
  10. BiG DoM

Oddometer:
    This setup IS on my 06 1200 GSA
  11. BiG DoM

Oddometer:
    I believe the AW setup is great plug and play stuff - unfortuntely (or fortunately:) I live in the southern hemisphere and things like this are expensive to import ... the Stebel is available and Andrew was kind enough to e-mail his written instructions that I decoded for this install. Interestingly I believe I was the first to fit a Nautilus almost four years ago on my 1150 and posted here and it has reached legend status since! :clap Still the best honk for buck around:eek1
  12. Madeinitaly

Madeinitaly Confused Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Help..
    being the useless wrench I am I manage to F.. it up...
    I got the R1200GS kit and I started to install it. I had to put in and remove the bracket 3 times because it would misalign when I was tightening it and the horn would hit the forks.
    The tird time, the bolt that is permanently mounted to the frame snapped on me and now I have a half bolt I can't remove from the bike and the other half inside the aluminum spacer.... :eek1 :eek1 :cry
    I have pictures if you need more info...
    I am leaving for MX next monday and I need this fixed... Anybody knowledgeable available to come and help? I am in Addison TX.

Beer will be provided ad lib....:freaky :freaky but after the operation....:evil

Cheers
  13. Lupin

Lupin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What size gauge wiring should I pick up for this? I went out today and picked up everything else I needed but wasn't sure about the wire size. I have something called "Hook Up Wire" from Radio Shack that says its 22 gauge, but it looks kind of flimsy to me.

I feel your pain MadeInItaly, I havent broke anything yet, but I'm not finished trying to get it to work. There's still plenty of time for me to wreck something.
  14. VesDew

VesDew Carpe GS

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain. I did the same thing, except I broke the whole screw off. The entire thing is in my aluminum spacer. I bought a screw extractor set and a replacement 6mm bolt. I will be working on the istallation this weekend. I plan to drill a hole where the old bolt was and install the new 6mm bolt. Need to be careful not to hit the lines behind the bracket when drilling the hole for the new bolt. I will let you know how it goes for me. Keep me updated if you have a better fix.

Regards,
    Dewayne
  15. Lupin

Lupin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing like resurecting an old thread. :)

I just wanted to say my horn works great now! Thanks for the help Big Dom. :clap

This will definitely wake up the biatches on the road. :eek1
  16. BiG DoM

Oddometer:
    Only a pleasure - that is what this site is about. love mine TOO!
  17. JohnHa

JohnHa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About two weekends ago, I installed the Nautilus compact and it's working perfectly! Thanks to Gadget Boy for the pictures of his installation, they were a huge help (see them on page 3). Using this thing in NYC has been lots of fun! :rayof
  18. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    It looks like I will finally get around to intalling my horn this weekend. GB, It looks like your horn is pointing down and back towards the gas tank? Is that so? Does that effect volume?

19. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Volume is unaffected. The trumpet opening is the lowest point of the installation to permit moisture evacuation. If I had it perpendicular to the telelever, it would interfere with the forks, and *might* be hit by the compressed telelever (which happened on a previous oilhead).

Be very careful when installing the machined aluminum block to the stock captive fastener. A few people have overtightened it and have snapped off the captive fastener. I would also recommend that you put a few drops of Loctite BLUE in the threading before you attach it.
  20. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Medium-Viz

Oddometer:
    Oh...yeah... :smile6

Like it so much I've ordered a big `un for the cage!

Thanks ADV for all the install advice.