Stebel R1200GS horn kit review

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Artboy57, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Jesla

Jesla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine went in super smooth and now I am just looking for reasons to use it.....Maybe Baja this weekend will give me a chance.
  2. Jesla

Jesla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had trouble blowing fuses with this? I used the fuse out of the kit from adventure works and blew a fuse. I have not investigated if it was a short yet (it may have been my wiring) or just overloaded. Has anyone else had this problem? What size fuse is everyone else using?
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A 15 or 20 amp fuse should work. I think mine is running on a 15 amp fuse.
  4. CASTIRON

CASTIRON Solid, heavy, lo-tech.

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd share. Two road tests and it's working swimmingly.

I installed the HB tank guards and used the crossbar under the oil cooler as the mounting point. The horn is horizontal and the trumpet faces forward, but is protected by the downslope of the beak. Makes it pretty discreet too. To attach it I used one of the SS light mounts Andrew sells. Expensive, but functional. More time/inclination and it would be cheaper to just drill the bar before install. You could do the same on a light bar. I imagine a Terra Nova would be perfect. To wire it I just spliced into the stock horn with the supplied relay and ran power to the Can-Bus.
  5. myblubeemer

myblubeemer MOA, IBA Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Soooooooooo..............the good news is that I got my Stebel Nautilis horn and R1200GS install kit in the mail from Adventurers Workshop today and the install kit now includes the in line fuse! The Bad news is they did not include ANY directions of any kind and they are all off to Vermont for the week. That leaves me with a horn and kit and no way to install. if anyone has any directions you could get my way somehow, I would GREATLY apperciate it.

Joel Watson
  6. myblubeemer

Oddometer:
    After reading the entire thread again and Bid Dom instructions, I think I can do the install without the exact document. Thanks to all who posted.
  7. CaptTurbo

CaptTurbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, this thread is gold. I have the compact horn but I don't have the AW kit. I don't really see why I need it with all the great posts that have been made.

I removed the mount from the OEM horn which was actually three fairly thin pieces with holes on each end. I bent it in a vise with bolts in each end so they had to stay aligned. I picked up an inline fuse today and with my boat wiring spools, crimp tools, and some good old liquid 'lectric tape, I think I have the needed supplies.

Can't do it today since the SW Florida thunderstorms are thumping away and there isn't enough light in the shed where the bike is with the doors closed. Tomorrow there will be some mighty blasts of the new horn or I wil be back here whining for help. LOL. Thanks to all for such an amazing resource. Neville.
  8. Bollocks

Bollocks Farts with an Accentâ„¢

Oddometer:
    If this is 205.........sorry...but if you want to hear the Stebel.

http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2006.htm

Go to Products/Elettropneumatics/Nautiluscompact series
    You'll see a horn....click on it.

Or click on the Bike icon
  9. Captain Ned

Captain Ned Chafuggalooginatchacaahn!

Oddometer:
    I installed this gizmo a few months ago. Recently I rode through Colorado early one morning on the highway. You know, where the deer and the antelope play. I made liberal use of the horn to clear them vermin from my path. Until, that is, the CAN'tBUS decided the horn wasn't working. Prolly figgered the load was out of bounds and so in its infinite wisdom it quit supplying juice. Powercycling the bike would only restore the juice for one brief blast. So, I'm going to put the stock horn back on and use both. The load for the stock unit and the Stebel relay should be within range.

I miss blade fuses.
  10. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    had this problem till I rewired - see my post above...no problems since.
  11. myblubeemer

Oddometer:
    Well I installed the Stebel horn and AW kit yesterday. With all the good tips from this thread I was able to do it without the directions from AW which were left out of my order. I had pinged Andrew by phone and email, but I guess he is headed to Vermont. As it turned out, it worked perfectly the first time. Nice and loud!!

I got my power and ground from my Centech fuse box and it worked great. I had mounted it to the back of the air box and mounted the relay right next to it. I was wondering where others mounted your relay?

jwat
    R1200GS
    LC4 640 E
  12. BiG DoM

Oddometer:
    Pleased it worked out - I mounted mine up front just back from the steering head...was easiest for the wiring not having to wire it all back.
  13. CaptTurbo

CaptTurbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Pleased it worked out - I mounted mine up front just back from the steering head...was easiest for the wiring not having to wire it all back."

I got mine done yesterday and it went pretty easy. I didn't have the AW kit so I cut the OEM plug off and just crimped into the tiny brown and green wires. I have the relay just above the horn to keep from running more then the main + lead back to the battery. The ground was taken from the horn bracket mount. I put the fused link up by the steering head too so it would be easy to get to should I ever have a blown fuse.

much louder then the OEM horn although somehow I expected it would be even louder. I was expecting a freight train sound from all the enthusiasm around here. It is plenty loud though and certainly a vast improvement. Thanks to all for sharing the idea and installation tips. Neville.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  14. JohnHa

JohnHa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few days ago, my horn stopped working entirely. Up to this point it had been working great.

So, last night I ripped everything apart to try to figure out what was wrong. It turns out the relay had gone bad. I popped the plastic cover off and the inside was all corroded. I tried cleaning with water+baking soda to no avail. But when I had my knife in there cleaning, I shorted the relay for a moment and the horn blew. So, I know the horn is OK and the problem is a dead relay.

I tried going to Autozone and Napa for a replacement relay to no avail. I emailed Andrew at AW to see if I can buy a replacement.

But, does anyone know where I can get a replacement?? Maybe someone more familiar with relays can tell me whether this is a pretty standard unit or not.

I'm so bummed!! :cry

thanks,
    John
  15. BiG DoM

Oddometer:
    Really is a standard aux relay that you should get very easily.
  16. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    question: Do you need a relay on a R1100GS?

. I read on the micapeak site that there is a relay in the horn circut already.

TIA
  17. myblubeemer

Oddometer:
    I just noticed today that my horn works fine in short stabs to the button, but will not continue to blow if held down. I can do many short burtsts in a row, but try to hold the button down and it makes one short burst and quits. I hooked it up exactly per Beg DoM's directions. Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jwat
  18. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aerostich sells the Bosch relay for $3. It's in their catalog.
  19. Captain Ned

Oddometer:
    So I'm preparing to twiddle the ground wires per BiG DoM's post to fix the won't honk issue and looking under the hood I see that my fancy schmancy Stebel horn kit with fancy schmancy custom mounting kit has been pounding on my fancy schmancy TT steering stopper bumper thingy. Bent the crossbar on the TT bit. The horn is too big to allow the front suspension to operate through its range.

Anyone else have this combo? Any suspension travel issues?

What should I do? Cut the crossbar off the bumper stopper thingy? Stay on the pavement? Any suggestions on a loud horn that isn't 8" deep/tall? Caaahhhnnn!!!
  20. Captain Ned

Oddometer:
    Not sure this crossbar is doing anything other than advertising Touratech. And whittling away my Stebel horn.