Stebel R1200GS horn kit review

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Artboy57, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Gimpinator

Gimpinator Core Dumper

Oddometer:
    :clapRadio Shack stocks an identical replacement. They have drawers of components (usually in the back).

Edit: Tried to link to their online catalog, but it didn't work. The catalog number is 275-226. Price is $6.49 each.
  2. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First try swivelling the horn so the opening faces downwards not backwards... this should give you the clearance needed and also allow the horn to be heard better!
  3. DavidND

DavidND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bent my Bracket to the right to avoid the brake line. Seems to work fine.
  4. Captain Ned

Captain Ned Chafuggalooginatchacaahn!

Oddometer:
    I think I've swivelled this gizmo about every way it can be swived. The only position that doesn't interfere with the fork tubes or shock or brake line seems to be vulnerable in full suspension compression. I guess I'll pull it and see if it can be used on the Terra Nova bar. If not, into the box of failed farkles it'll go.:cry

It seems like the amount of space available to put crap on a bike shrinks every year. Any suggestions on a smaller horn that is louder than the stock POS? I once had an air horn with separate compressor and horn components. Maybe I should try something along those lines. I do want something as effective as the Stebel compact horn.

This kind of problem makes me feel like a moron. I can't believe no one else is having clearance issues with this thing on full compression of the front end.
  5. Dakarider

Dakarider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    has anyone had their horn not work after getting the BMW flat battery fuck?all of My devices on accessory sockets (lights sat Radio) all refused to work after this "upgrade"

I would like to install the horn but I am afraid it will be killed by this OS Mod to the computer.
  6. (sp?)

(sp?) flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer:
    well-known "problem", e.g. recall. I re-wired my load relay (the one which controls all the load I put on my R1200GS) to be triggered off of the tailight.

let's see those electron-grubbing bastiges try to turn that off! :deal
  7. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Lottery Loser

Oddometer:
    I followed the instructions supplied with the kit to the letter but I could not get the damned thing to work!
    So I repacked everything in the box and replaced the stock horn.

If it's a wet and windy weekend I will open up that box again and follow BiG DoM's instructions. Hopefully they will result in success.

I am looking forward to scaring the crap out of dizzy blondes and taxi drivers

8. DavidND

DavidND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may have a defective relay or horn. It should be easy to test either.
  9. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Lottery Loser

Oddometer:
    Actually the truth is a little hard to admit...

I read the remarks about the missing fuse but I was not concerned because it was clear to me that the inline fusebox was right there on the wire!
    But did I actually bother to look inside the fusebox?
    Sadly no...

So I actually have some spare fuses lying around and will try again, this time with a fuse inserted :doh
  10. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great pictures GB! The 3 photos that came with my kit also appear to be of the same thing... of a black bear eating licorice at midnight. The added nice bright white arrows pointing into the Black Hole sure stand out though. :wink:
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Using GB's pictures I created a bracket and installed mine last night, finally! Sounds great, no interferience, and is mostly hidden.

My only concern is that the bracket wont hold the heavy horn in place under some medium off roading.

Anyone had any issues with this?

Jim :brow
  12. dwf

dwf 2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer:
    I am about to order "the kit" does this have everything I need or do I still have to make the tripple piggyback connector that Big Dom describes.
  13. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The last time I installed this for someone else, it had everything with it, including the inline ATO fuse to the battery.

The key here is to use all or most of the length of wire in the kit and bring them all back under the rider's seat, then from the relay, run the inline ATO fuse with its short lead right to the battery.
  14. dwf

Oddometer:
    \

Thanks G Boy! Are you saying that using "most of the length of wire" and what is included with the kit fixes the problem of the horn not blowing after multiple blows/long blows? Have they added the three way connection that does not seem to have been included on earlier versions?
  15. GB

Oddometer:
    I installed one on mine which did not come with the ATO fuse for to the battery and then installed another one for someone else and it came with it. There is a piggy back spade connector that you must connect to the relay. You must follow the diagram / instructions so you get the piggyback on the right connector on the relay. I have not had any issues with the horn cutting out after a few seconds. However, if I had ignored the instructions - as I often do :huh - and wired it the way I have it wired on my KLR, it probably wouldn't work properly.

I have mine wired so all the wires going to the relay are near the horn, then I have one lead to the +ve of the battery and the ground is is right near the horn. On my second installation, i used all the length of wire provided in the installation kit to bring everything back under the seat because the ATO fuse line to the battery is 12 gauge and I had no 12 gauge wire on hand.. I think this is probably the preferable way to install it. I also put dielectric grease on the relay connections, maybe it will prevent oxidation of the terminals :dunno
  16. dwf

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Much appreciated. I just ordered it--so I may be back in a few days with more questions. Thanks again!
  17. GB

Oddometer:
    You shouldn't need anything else, but if you do and you're handy with soldering and shrink tubing, you'll be fine. Just follow the instructions.

OH OH!!

WARNING!! There's a part that you need to connect to the captive fastener that holds the bracket that holds the original horn in place.

Have a look at this picture, it's attached to the L bracket that's attached to the horn iteslf:

[​IMG]

This thing has a threaded hole in it that threads to the captive fastener on the frame of the bike. BE VERY CAREFUL when installing it. Do not overtighten it. Put a couple of drops of Loctite Blue on the threads and slowly and gently tighten it in place. If you over do it, you will snap off the captive fastener on the bike frame, then you have to drill it out, and drill the broken fastener out of the above piece, and you might have to retap the threads.. ie. a big friggin headache!

So, tighten it gently, before you install the L bracket.
  18. dwf

Oddometer:
    YIIKES!! Thanks for warning. That heat shrink issue also had me wondering--not sure I feel comfortable with an open flame between 9 gallons of gasoline. I think I read in one of your post where you used a heat gun--which I don't have. Any other ideas?
  19. GB

Oddometer:
    You see that one wire that has a round ball at the end of it and it has a pin coming out of that ball, this is the wire that needs to go to the positive terminal on the bike's horn harness. The heat shrink tube mounts over the bike's horn harness and around the ball of the wire. Once heated, it shrinks and puts pressure on the ball, keeping the pin inside the bike's horn harness.. so no cutting or soldering and if you trade your bike, in, remove it and it's back to stock.

I used a paint stripping heat gun. If you don't have one, I'm afraid a hair dryer will not work, as the heat shrink tubing for this piece is quite thick and needs a good amount of heat. You could carefully use a cigarette lighter, or a propane blow torch... :eek1 just be careful..
  20. Captain Ned

Captain Ned Chafuggalooginatchacaahn!

Oddometer:
    After having problems with the Stebel Compact horn not horning due to CanBus load sensing issues, I replaced the stock unit and stowed the Stebel in the box marked GS PARTS. Not horning was only one issue I had. The other was when the horn was mounted in the only practical position it pounded my Touratech steering stop protector thingy.

When I was in Quincy at the Beemer Bash I noticed someone who had found a good use for the spot where most of us used to have a charcoal canister. When I feel like another round of farkle wiring I will install the Stebel in this location and run the relay off the regular horn circuit, leaving the stock horn in place to satisfy the 'Bus.