Steering damper, stabilizer.

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by twintwin, May 16, 2020.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh and by the way @TurTal, you might be able to make out from my jersey that the club I was in was known as the a Desert Turtles! :jkam
    pops likes this.
  2. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's funny and awesome because at first I saw the UR and thought it read URAL.....lol

Nice form btw
    Strong Bad likes this.
  3. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    The thing about a steering damper is,... you don't need one until you do!
    Sidecarjohn, mikepa, pops and 2 others like this.
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really liked the GPR stabilizer I had one on my R1200HP2 Enduro. Now that they have a kit for my 2014 GSA-rig, I'm putting a V4D on the rig.
    pops likes this.
  5. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    If you haven't checked out the GPR Stabilizer...they give you everything you need, except the Angular Ball Bearing & Clip and the two Joint Links & Clips for the top of the Fork Tubes. This part of the project will wait until I receive my Leading Link frontend from LBS Sidecars.

113E4A16-C3BD-4913-A8BD-D95337B53A1F.jpeg
    DRONE and twintwin like this.
  6. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very interesting and appealing. Thanks for the link, picture and please if you can document on adv the mount of the stabilizer, it would be much appreciated. Are you going to use the OEM angular ball bearing? Or LBS will send you a different tougher one with the L.L. ? And the 2 joint links! With a L.L. they should be remove, as the legs must be study and should not have any more movement in the upper tree.
  7. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    @twintwin ...I'll definitely do a post on the conversion. I don't believe that LBS makes any changes to the Top Clamp Bearing or Joint Links. But, since I haven't received my LL yet, @mikepa would be the best one to address that question.
  8. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    The LBS leading link fork kit includes an angular contact bearing for the upper fork brace. To remove the stock, and press in the new, you'll need a hydraulic press (@DRTBYK - I have one if you don't).

On GRP, there is a dealer with an "encouraging name", Moto Pro Suspension, located in Woodinville, not that far from me. I have it on my lengthy to-do list to chat with them about the product and install.

That noted, the tried and true Stabilus steering damper that LBS included with the LBS kit, together with the leading link itself, works just fine on the R1150GSA/Ural rig I have in my shop, though I have yet to take it off-pavement.

20200307_145615.jpg
  9. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Thank you Mike. I do have a press in my shop - and, hopefully it will make it's way over to the new garage/shop in June :D. I do recall seeing the bearing on the LBS-LL parts list now that you mention it. The Stabilus, or other linear stabilizer, will not work in my application as it would be in the way of my front Wench mounting location - although, I normally mount the wench at the rear-facing mount.

9AC4ED28-7BA1-42DC-AB7E-D66F9D795332.jpeg
    mikepa likes this.
  10. ErictheBiking

ErictheBiking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many wenches do you have?
    And do they mind being mounted on the sidecar?
    DRONE, Hookalatch, DRTBYK and 3 others like this.
  11. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    You just have to love brain dead spell checkers - it obviously was reading my mind when it chose the spelling. Oh, and my "wench" (said lovingly) put 8K miles in the chair last summer.
    Bobmws, ErictheBiking and DRONE like this.
  12. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    As this is one of the more politically incorrect social platforms anyway, may I say "respect" that you have front and rear wenches, and I'm just going to leave it at that . . . .

Back on topic, yes, I see the electrically-operated-cable-winch (let's see a fracking spell-checker mis-parse that!) does present linear stabilizer mounting issues, above and beyond those that already exist in attaching to the forks to begin with. You've got me intrigued, got my first Social Security deposit today, I'm going to order one!