Steering Head bearing Tools???

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by SnoDrtRider, Mar 15, 2020.

1. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a source for BMW or equivalent head bearing tools? I am contacting my dealer to price them but I am sure there is a readily made tool or tools out on the open market.

The part #s are 31 3 721 & 31 3 723

Screenshot (78).png
  2. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On other bikes I've worked on, those never need much torque at all, usually finger tight. If I find one I can't take off with fingers usually a light tap with a punch is all it takes to get them moving.

What's the TQ spec on those in the manual?
  3. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Brass punch.
    Moto Mikey, PeterW and sieg like this.
  4. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ This or this > v
    $T2eC16R,!)kE9s4Z+llIBQ9FllBJ1Q~~60_35.jpg
  5. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are the same as anyone else's steering head bearings. A real punch (or a cut down chopstick !), a plastic faced hammer and a light touch is a good tool for this and doesn't mark up the adjusters. LIGHT Touch :). The reason that's a good solution is that in most cases you have to dismantle the f***ing bike to be able to use the right tools :dirtdog You may be lucky and your bike is the exception and doesn't have masses of crap obstructing access to the adjusters.

Tighten until you can just feel resistance (via a pinky on the bar ends) tighten a LITTLE more until it feels a bit stiff (~ 1/32 turn more) but still moves, swing it side to side GENTLY a few times to drive excess grease off the bearings. Back it off, then tighten until you can just feel resistance then lock it there. In theory you don't do the slight overtighten but in practice if you don't they'll be loose again 20k's later. That's like you should also use the right tools but unfortunately it doesn't work well in most cases.
    bobwolff68 and Motoriley like this.
  6. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I have always used a punch or channel locks but I figured I would do it right for a change...
    I looks like due to the locking ring (1) you need to remove the top fork bridge anyway which is not too difficult a task on these bikes.

Torque specs...

Screenshot (79).png
    lexaria likes this.