Steering Stabilizer and Cushioned Bar Mounts

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by DustBuster, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    All the hyperpro products are Street dampers and will be less than ideal off pavement...

When off road...the tire deflects and then wants to return to center....in dirt or sand the tire returns back to center slower...that is the dirt is actually acting as a return to center damper...you don't want this...you want the tire to return to center (stable) as quickly as possible....any damping back to center inhibits this....Ride sand slowly...tense up....grab the bars tight and fight the front wheel....Down goes Frazier....

Stay loose let the tire correct....all good....a street damper acts like a tense rider off road...

The RSC and CSC both have rebound damping...the fact that one in linear Vs. progressive doesn't make up for the fact that they are specifically incorrect for dirt....

There is a reason ALL 790's in the Merzouga Rally were required to have a Scott's...the factory Street damper was removed...
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are the Scott's application-specific or could one buy a used one, and then the appropriate mount for the 790?
  3. blackSP

blackSP Im 'in orbita ponendum simulat

Oddometer:
    Hyperpro makes both types and I have the reactive one. The stock damper is a rebound type.
    comradecasey likes this.
  4. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Man you are remarkably dense....
    Buildzall, brianbrannon and BHoward like this.
  5. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    A used Scott's will work...if you buy one make sure it is the dirt version not the street...
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  6. blackSP

blackSP Im 'in orbita ponendum simulat

Oddometer:
    I'm remarkable dense?

You really need to relax, it's only a steering damper. Amazing how worked up you get over that. Take a deep breath now brother.
    comradecasey likes this.
  7. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Not your brother...

Stop posting bad info...
  8. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    And make sure to get the proper arm for your application.
    Nowwhat and TrailTrauma like this.
  9. DustBuster

DustBuster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scotts does make a street and dirt version, but I would bet most of their sales were dirt.

I think the one I have has been on 4 bikes now, since the damper cost $360 new and a basic mount kit is half of that I usually take it off before selling and use the damper on the next bike, sometimes part or all of the mount transfers too, not so with the 790.
    el Pete, Nowwhat and TrailTrauma like this.
  10. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    I sold mine with the 500 several yrs ago, but then I got $13K+ for it so not all bad I guess.
  11. DustBuster

DustBuster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Learned something new today...there is an easy way to tell a Scotts road damper from a dirt damper. The Road damper will have an "R" stamped stamped on the top as you can see in this picture, a dirt damper does not..

Road damper.jpg
  12. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if one can be converted to the other?
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  13. Tripleclampmoto

Tripleclampmoto www.tripleclampmoto.com Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of good info here, so I put an update here for those looking into XTRIG PHDS + Scotts damper mount.

Sometime ago we updated the damper mount kit to give you more options in terms of possible positions you can install the PHDS handlebar clamps with our damper bracket. We made version 2 with a wider clamping spread than stock (90mm vs 108mm). This allows your to install the PHDS clamps at any position you want. With the stock spread (talking about the distance between the bar clamps) you were limited to only one possible for the PHDS clamps (the most forward position with spacers), stock clamps could always be installed in all four positions since they are smaller than PHDS.

The damper mount bracket is 20mm tall. That is the minimum rise we could get away with. If you want more rise we make 10mm blocks with correct size bolts at a kit. The PHDS kits comes with optional 9mm blocks too.

Version 2.0 is %100 compatible with stock clamps. If you decide not to use the PHDS, you won't have any issues but you always have the option to do that in the future.

All kits include two gold or silver titanium M10 bolts and a link damper arm.

116217349_578575479504485_3735099087105567462_n.jpg

790-DAMPER-MOUNT-BRACKET-v2_c10d1530-f60d-46b1-ac31-64ac070fba7a.jpg

TripleclampMoto-KTM790dampermountforScott-2_f48a2d7b-7d2a-4886-8600-8247b23c8d6c.jpg

TripleClampMoto-KTM790AdventuredampermountScott-1_600x.jpg

Above pictures show TripleClamp Moto's version 2.0 Scotts damper mount kit for KTM 790 and 890:

https://www.tripleclampmoto.com/products/tripleclamp-moto-steering-damper-for-ktm-790-890-adventure

The original version 1.0 as posted above with other inmates is available for those who prefer that. Leave us a note about that when you order.

And as for the PHDS, it's a fantastic product that is hard to appreciate without taking it apart. It's not just for vibration dampening. It gives you 360 impact dampening as well. You see them in use on pretty much all Dakar bikes. It is more than just squeezing a set of rubber daunts. The whole bottom cradle is floating with the handlebar while the main bracket is securely attached to the bike. This means when the clamp bolts are torqued to exactly 16nm, the rubber parts do their job without letting the bolts to get loose. You can change the rubber parts to a softer (green) or harder(red).

[​IMG]

https://www.tripleclampmoto.com/products/xtrig-phds-kit-for-ktm-and-husqvarna
  14. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Beautiful work, as always.

I'm just trying to figure out how to retain my HDB hardware/hand guards with something like this...:hmmmmm
  15. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

He states that version 2.0 is compatible with stock clamps, so your HDB top clamp should work.
  16. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice post on details--I just ordered your bracket/ stabilizer combo and the PHDS mounts too -all looks clean and quality!!
  17. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  18. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Yes I think they can at Scott’s
    They told me once they can
  19. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Nowwhat likes this.
  20. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Be wary of any stabilizer mounts that only use two bolts to secure the adapter to the tripleclamp. KTM handlebar perch mounting bolts are already 2mm smaller diameter than most of the other moto mfgs and when you start stacking brackets things get super flimsy pretty quick. My brother purchased and broke almost every stabilizer mount made while racing hard enduros like King Of the Hammers. That's why the handlebar perch mounting bolts on our stabilizer mounts pass all the way through the stabilizer mounts and thread into the tripleclamps, so it ends up being much closer to the stock setup, in terms of strength/integrity. Not trying to sell anyone anything, only pointing this out because it's pretty easy to modify some of the other stabilizer mounts to use a second set of bolts to beef things up. Definitely worthwhile, especially on bigger/heavier bikes.