Steering Stabilizer and Cushioned Bar Mounts

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by DustBuster, Apr 28, 2020.

1. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Ouch...

[​IMG]
    windblown101 likes this.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...wick.ed
    kzeb likes this.
  3. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

LOL. Dan is going to have to up his game a bit over hopping 3" curbs before I can give his opinion on riding much consideration.

But if I ever need advice on how to over post process a photo or apply decals I'm going to give him a ring for sure. :)
  4. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
  5. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210313_194938.gif
    David_Moen, kzeb and TrailTrauma like this.
  6. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you briefly describe the benefits/differences of upgrading versus keeping the narrower V1 mount?
  7. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The thing that would entice me to do it is if I wanted to try the KTM PHDS mounts which I have on the shelf still from a previous bike. They are thick enough that I don't think they will fit on the V1 and clear the stabilizer without some grinding, and they won't work with the KTM GPS clamp mount either...
  8. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    The V2 damper mount is simply wider to allow the thick PHDS clamps to be installed in any of the various handlebar positions. When using the PHDS clamps with the V1 damper bracket, the PHDS can only be installed in limited positions (all the way forward only).
    windblown101 likes this.
  9. Tripleclampmoto

Tripleclampmoto www.tripleclampmoto.com Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure.

V1 puts the handlebar clamps at the stock distance from each other ,90mm. You can re-use the stock handlebar clamps OR use XTRIG PHDS clamps at the most forward position only.

V2 puts them as 108mm distance from each other and allows you to install XTRIG PHDS clamps at ANY position you wish (4 available). You can use stock clamps if you wish and upgrade to PHDS in the future.
    kubcat likes this.
  10. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Windblown
    The KTM mount and PHDS do work together, I have both on mine. The issues are that don't fit in the closest position and if you have the handlebars as far back as the mounts will allow you have to remove the pointer on the knob of the damper so that it can turn the full 360 deg.
    I also have the risers fitted that come with the PHDS mounts but think they would fit fine without the risers.
  11. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just the bars and some cosmetic damage, the bar clamps were fine. That been said, they are stupidly tall.
    TrailTrauma and braaap! like this.
  12. cwk

cwk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But the real 555€ question for me, does my 790 R realy need a steering damper!? :-)

I'm doing the https://www.realwaytodakar.com/ next year, so that's quite a lot of offroad, including sand.
    For comparison I raced the Tuareg rally many years ago on a 640 Adv without a steering damper.
    I asked a friend who rode the realwaytodakar on his 950 Adv, and he didn't use a steering damper.
  13. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    A proper steering damper will hopefully never live to be useful... But when it does, it will save your bacon in a way that will easily pay for itself.

I've cashed in on mine several times. Worth it's weight in gold... Maybe that's why he anodized them that color???

:)
    AdventureDave and cwk like this.
  14. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Agree. Price and having to adjust ergonomics are the only downsides.