Steering stabilizer

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Moab, Aug 3, 2010.

1. stin987

stin987 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    The scotts stabilizer sound very nice but the gpr sounds better. GPR is offering the stabilizer for $100 dollars off for the rest of 2010. MSRP is $550 minus $100 equals $450 plus $16 shipping. A stabilizer shipped to my door for less than $500. What more could I ask for? Wait I know... An even cheaper price.
  2. swimmonkey

swimmonkey JMS

Oddometer:
    Been racing in the desert for a long, long time. Nothing beats a Scott's. I'm just sayin"!
  3. digdesign

digdesign Hack

Oddometer:
    A loose front end on the highway is not normal. I can ride with one hand, or no hands, vrey comfortably at highway speeds. If you can't there could be something wrong with your bike and a stabilizer would just be a band aid to mask a real problem.
  4. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think he is talking about the movement you get from wind turbulence when riding in traffic at higher speeds.
  5. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want a Scott's so damn bad. The last 1000 mile trip I went on I was riding in 30-40 mph side and quarter winds. On top of already having to deal with the wind vortices that semi's throw off. I can guarantee you that wind effects this bike. The death wobble is very easy to get yourself into. I for one want a Scott's given the conditions I ride in.

However, that said, you should not be experiencing wobble or instability at 60-70mph on a low wind day, riding out of traffic.
  6. KnuckC

KnuckC F8er

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Scotts. Very easy to install and setup. Excellent performance both at high speeds and on rough rocky trails. IMHO huge upgrade to this bike.
  7. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:

The GPR sounds "better"? In reality, the GPR sounds "less expensive" for a period of time. Happens in this economy. But Scotts will continue to get my business for the small difference. 1) I've never had any type of failure or issue in five years on four bikes 2) Scotts is *HERE* on this thread answering questions to help us dial them in. Where's GPR? 3) I've called Scotts many time over the years for info and advice. They always answer the phone, and they enthusiastically stay on the phone as long as I need. Whether it's my KDX200, or XR650L, or F800GS, they'll talk about settings with real-world experience from accomplished riders that understand what a damper can and can't do. I consider the small price difference (when their is one) to be my peace-of-mind price.

Scotts is one of the best companies ADVers have at their disposal.
  8. Dan Man

Dan Man ex-adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd go with a Scotts. I don't have a SS on my touring bike, however I did pick up a used Scott's for my sportbike. Half of the used GPR2 had oil leaks it seemed. Never saw that on used Scott's for sale.
  9. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a scott's on my KTM 990 kept me upright when the non-steering stabilized bikes were crashing in and out of Inuvik and Prudhoe.
    I also like it at interstate speeds in big crosswinds or gusts makes long days on the plains less tiring

My wife has the 650 GS twin which Scotts fits that model ?
  10. Hedge36

Hedge36 My e-penis is huge.

Oddometer:
    I like Scotts because parts and advice are available whenever needed - they're VERY responsive to customer feedback, their tech guys are avid riders and they love to hear about how their products are being used.

Which isn't to say the other companies aren't or don't... it's just a years-long relationship that has proven itself time and time again. That's why our shop carries their products.

And you guys have your prices all wrong :lol3
  11. Hedge36

Oddometer:
    Theoretically, the F800 stab kit should work on it, but not having both bikes side-by-side to compare I can't say with 100% certainty. I can check into it on Monday.
  12. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you

13. Hedge36

Oddometer:
    No sweat.

Off the top of my head, the primary issue coming to mind would be that the 650 has 7/8" bars, where the Scotts SUB mount is kitted for 1 1/8" bars (if I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me).
  14. stin987

stin987 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Ok to clear things up. The bike on a non windy day is ok, but add a little crosswind and tractor trailer wind and the bike just starts to wobble a bit. This is a guy talking that came from a 636 ninja where high speed was not an issue. The f800gs will never ride light the ninja at 80 mph. But with a steering stabilizer I think it would help.

The bike is perfectly ok. Given there is no wind I will let go of the bars at any speed under 100mph. Add the wind and turbulance and that might not happen.

That is why I want a stabilizer.
  15. Hedge36

Oddometer:
    For Bill 310:

Just got off the phone with Scotts... they haven't fitted the kit to an F650 twin, but they're fairly certain that the offset is a bit different. This might not be a showstopper, as there's a bit of leeway in the pin slot that might be sufficient to make up for the difference.

Regarding the bars, they have a reducer that would adapt the 1 1/8" mount to the 7/8" bars, or you could "upgrade" your wife's bars to 1 1/8" as part of the installation, OR you could add a set of 2" x 7/8" x 7/8" ROX risers which should clear the damper just fine.

It'd be an interesting experiment. Let me know if it's something you'd want to try, and I can work with Scotts to ensure that the parts are all returnable should it prove to be unworkable.
  16. mapuda

mapuda Crash Tested Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. Scotts Performance

Scotts Performance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think we talked on the phone earlier today, and I will be working on verifying more on the f650.
    The triple clamp/fork offset is not something that can be taken into account because of the slotted arm on the damper. The mount on the triple clamp, beyond just holding the damper, is actually locating the center line of the damper over the center line of the steering stem so the bars and the damper turn at the same radius. If we are off more then 2-3mm then the damper turns at a different rate and something will give and break. If there is any one nearby who has a bike they can lend for a short time I would love to check it out and see what needs to be done to get a damper on there.
    Thanks-
    Eric
  18. thumper-darryl

thumper-darryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have put Rally Moto on both F800GS and F650 GS fit exactly the same other than bar size, so just made shim to reduce where bars clamp on the 800.
    I have owned a number of Scotts and GPR dampers, I would not buy another GPR, where as the Scotts have been great. The Rally Moto is like an upgraded Scotts, especially the mounting kits. Once you see them side-by-side the Rally Moto is worth the extra $100 or so.
    Don't care how good your suspension is, once you try a bike on loose gravel with a damper you will not go back.
  19. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight...I am waiting for a Ralle Moto to ship and will be installing on my 798 asap.
  20. Scotts Performance

Scotts Performance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok- after looking at my notes and pictures I have some hope but we need some help from you guys to see if it will fit. The attached link shows some measurements I will need of the 650 triple clamp. If I can get these from some one out here, along with the diameter and size of the bolt used to hold down the barmount it will verify if our F800 kit will fit the F650 kit with the addition of the reducer bushings for the smaller diameter bars.

http://www.scottsonline.com/litrack/258.pdf

Thanks-
    Eric