Steering stabilizer

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Moab, Aug 3, 2010.

1. jamesdemien

jamesdemien Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure. I guess this goes back to my earlier possible theories of the offroad version being slightly different or new specs on the clamps.

This is conjecture but if the specs changed a bit on the clamps the folks at Scotts may be worried that everyone who ordered one in the past few years will expect a free replacement. Which I think would be ridiculous on the part of otherwise happy owners who just want their pointer to fit.

I can't imagine that moving the thing fore or aft by a few mm would have a dramatic effect on function but what do I know. I don't believe the axis of the damper arm pivot aligns perfectly with the steering tube. I'm pretty sure the ability for it to float around within the fork that rides on the pin takes care of it being slightly off axis as long as they are parallel.

So possibilities are:
    • non-R version has case thats a little different
    • new clamp specs
    • my pointer was edited by someone other than me
    • machining error
    • or I somehow messed up installing 10 fasteners

Let me call Scotts and see if they can drop some knowledge
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    So the sun came out today briefly but long enough for me to ride up to the snow line along a forest service road in the mountains south of here. The road was muddy, pot-holed, and had fresh gravel dumped haphazardly in the muddiest spots. Well, even with the stabilizer in the default, six o'clock position I noticed a big difference. Hitting deep gravel at speed always had a high pucker factor for me, and today I just breezed though it. I'm really looking forward to heading down to the Mojave next month and giving the Scotts a real test. Who knows, I may even go looking for deep sand instead of trying to avoid it like the plague.

Two big thumbs up here. :thumb :thumb

Damn, I sure wish I had this stabilizer mounted when I rode the CDR.

David
  3. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
  4. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    ba_, have you been to the PB yet with your stabilizer on? it'll be a night and day difference; really looking forward to the PB 300 with it. i didn't get into too much of the deep sugar sand but the regular "roads" i just blasted down with the scotts on. totally confident. no uneasiness doing the speed limit and (cough) (redacted) <redacted>, for scientific testing purposes only.</redacted>
  5. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been out for a ride yet with it on :waysad

But I cannot wait to try it out down there
  6. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    ouch!

if you are interested; i believe advny and myself are going down sunday. we haven't gotten a firm plan together yet but we'll be trailering the 'little' bikes; but you are more than welcome to join us.
  7. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    Just ordered my off-road version of the Scotts from Renazco. :clap

James was great to deal with, and answered all of my questions. He did let me know one interesting tidbit: "Our shipment of the last Scotts dampers arrived yesterday so good timing. They'll get more but no telling when they'll be ready." So if you're thinking about getting one, act now!
  8. VancouverBob

VancouverBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine as well :clap

I'll post up once I find out if I have the magic version that allows the full rotation :D
  9. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    We're working on something so you'll have dial clearance but it will come at the price of more rise.
    Anybody out there like with more rise, we're talking 1" to 1.25".
  10. dendrophobe

Oddometer:
    More rise sounds great to me. The one thing I'll miss when I install my damper is my Rox risers, which net way more than 20mm. I was considering getting some Protaper bars with more rise to make it more comfortable, but I think I'll wait and see what y'all come up with now.
  11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    The current rise is on the low end of "perfect" for me when I'm standing on the pegs. So I could go for a scosh more.

David
  12. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why can't you use your Rox risers? Isnt that what John did here?
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13851631&postcount=10
  13. dendrophobe

Oddometer:
  14. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wouldnt you need to lenghten brake lines with these added Rox? (as per the above link)
    I have the traditioanl Rox risers, but am selling them since insalled the Scotts. Yea, the bars seem lower since the Scotts intalled as compared to the traditional Rox risers... I'd like a little more height too. But I cant justify buying a revised Scotts after just buying one! Ug. Well at least I have some steering assistance.
  15. dendrophobe

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Oh come on, the "sub mount only" is only $270!

I'm hoping that they'll come up with a solution that doesn't force those of us who have already bought a kit to buy a whole new sub mount...
  16. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, it would be very important for Scotts to provide a trade-in swap at no charge to those of us who have purchased the "lesser" sub mount. I understand paying shipping there and back, but we shouldn't have to purchase a who new sub mount.
  17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    How about, as I suggested before, just supplying a different Base Valve knob, one with machined grooves that go all the way down to the bottom of the knob? That way we could position the pointer down low, so that it sweeps the top surface of the stabilizer and misses the handle bar completely. Wouldn't that be a much cheaper way to go, and just as effective? :dunno

David
  18. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1:clap
  19. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't it be even cheaper for them to just provided a knob with a painted hashmark on it, rather than a pointer?
  20. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    ...and obviously no clearance issues whatsoever.