Steering stabilizer

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Moab, Aug 3, 2010.

1. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thx WoodWorks.... I called it quits for the night.. I will try to finish up tomorrow evening.
  2. jamesdemien

jamesdemien Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Off is easy. Getting the new ones on may be a bit more difficult.

I used a 1/4 drive ratchet with an 8" extension. You only get 20-30 degrees of swing so it takes quite a few turns but that's the easiest way. Even a 12pt box end wrench would drive me insane before I ever got the bolts back on.
  3. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay guys, the rest of the install went pretty smooth....
    Until I started the bike to go for a test ride...
    The throttle was stuck wide open..
    I checked the cables and couldnt find anything obvious (to me) wrong.
    I started it again same thing...
    Basically messed around with the cables some more ... started it up and it was fine.
    Since I am not sure what was causing it... I am afraid it will happen again.
    I practiced using the emergency kill switch a few times before I went for the test ride.

Anyone else have this problem or any idea what I should look for?
  4. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    rr,
    Sorry you're having so much trouble with this. Mine had no such issues and went on in no-time.
    I wish I could offer some help. But I got nuttin.
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Any chance you have a throttle lock on your bike, and could it have been just slightly engaged? Otherwise, unless you briefly had the throttle cable kinked around something, and then it unkinked, I dunno. :dunno
  6. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    To be honest it wasn't that bad. I have just learned from experience that asking you guys on here can sometimes save time and a headache.
    In this case having the right tools for the job really helped.... once I found them.
    [​IMG]
  7. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    No throttle lock on this one. It scared the shit out of me. It was full throttle and moving the throttle did nothing. I am just glad it did it while sitting in the driveway in neutral.

Heres a pic.. let me know if you see anything out of place.
    [​IMG]
  8. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    And finally...
    Anyone else find it odd that the text on the damper faces away from the rider?
    [​IMG]
  9. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The "index"? You mean the "R"?? That's normal. They're all like that, regardless of bike.

If you mean the big Scott's "S" that has "Scotts" written on the inside of it, that is not facing away from the rider. The big "S" logo is omni-directional. As in, it looks correct looking at it from either way.
  10. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your right Griz, I saw the R and and for some reason thought the S and H were also. I guess it wouldn't matter as the S and H looks the same from either direction. My bad.
  11. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know advice goin around was to take the slack out of the throttle cable in order to improve the adbrupt throttle. If too much has been taken up and the handlebar is turned all the way to the left it will do that.
  12. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Appears the "R" (closest to the key cowl) indicates the unit is a "road" unit. If there's no "R" its an "off-road" unit.

James D. and I compared ours tonite. Mine is an R model whereas James' is off-road model. There appears to be a VERY slight positioning of the control knobs, thus allowing the "off road" unit's pointer to clear the handlebars.

At any rate, there ya go. Its not easily seen until you see them side by side.
  13. jamesdemien

Oddometer:
    Keith the next time we meet up we need to have a set of calipers. But visually the do look a wee bit different.
  14. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    I just installed my offroad version last night, and my pointer didn't clear the bars. A couple careful minutes with a dremel, and it's perfect now though!

I can't say enough how impressed I am with this product. Everything, from the way it was packaged, to the instructions, to the feel and fit of the damper itself, was fantastic. I've only had a chance to test it on the road, but wow, what a difference! Everything feels very tight and stable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This last picture is with the pointer pushed all the way down. I ended up having to file off just over a millimeter of material to get it to clear the bars.
  15. jamesdemien

Oddometer:
    hmm, mine is either better or totally f'd up
  16. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    Ehh, could be either. I'm fine with mine how it is; with careful dremel work I made the end a point again and it spins freely. I think we're all making way too big a deal over this clearance thing.
  17. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
  18. jamesdemien

Oddometer:
    I gave the Scotts a proper workout this past Sunday...I'm still impressed.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/21296420" width="700" height="394" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/21296420">Lost Creek on a F800GS</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/jamesdixson">James Dixson</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p><p>Taylor, Chris, a couple of www.advrider.com friends and I went out and rode Lost Creek area on Sunday. We got off to a bad start on one of the low water bridges on Charrette Creek Road and had to recover the DRZ. We later made up for it on some real creek crossings without those pesky low water bridges...enjoy.</p>
  19. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea James... I would say you did...!

I played with my Scotts yesterday in my cul-de-sac. Bounced the bike off the street curb at several angles. Normally i'd get the handle bar JERK. Dude... not any more! I was totally impressed on the first pass at the curb. Not even a nudge from the bars. 110% control of front wheel deflection. And on pavement its much more of a "planted" feeling.

Yup, BMW shoulda added this as an option or something... they missed the boat.
  20. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Nice video. Crap were those first crossings slippery or what? Thanks for posting. :clap