1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Steering stabilizer

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Moab, Aug 3, 2010.

1. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They don't give you a security bit in the Ralle Moto kit?:huh
  2. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No they do not.:cry

3. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    They also neglected to charge the extra 200 USD for the kit. So my vice grips will work fine I think.
  4. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    $200?? Compared to what?
  5. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    My comparison is is apple to orange. Just giving some good nature ribbing nothing more. Comparing the list price for the Full F800GS Kit on Scott's website to the closeout price I paid for the RM1 is where I get the $200 USD difference. Just throwing some trash talk out there and in no way want to start any sort of Flame War of my kit is better than your kit. Both kits seem to get the job done and I've seen nothing solid to say that they don't.

Cheers,

Curtis
  6. Chop Chop

Chop Chop Long timer

Oddometer:

Have you used an RM1? Just curious about the difference. I may have to send mine back for service or do it myself (oil bleed and change). Setting 8 is not much stiffer than setting 1, but still noticeable.
  7. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    I use an RM-1 and setting 8 is significantly stiffer than 1. So much so that it is very difficult to maneuver at slow speeds on 8. I raised concerns and another user reported the same and that he only uses 7 and 8 for high wing highway conditions. So it sounds like yours may need a tune up. Bestrest sells the service "kit" for $40. It has all the rubber and some replacement h/w you need but no instructions!
  8. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Just an FYI for anybody who did not get the proper bit: they are not standard Torx security bolts, they have a strange pattern that's missing a flute (or has one too much, don't remember). Scotts will sell the bit separately I think, but I was also able to remove mine using vice grips.
  9. lmclamore

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of "security" bolts that are so easily removed with vise grips. What thief has access to a pair of vise grips? Idiots.
  10. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The real question is what purpose do they serve. You are not going to hot wire this bike.
  11. jamesdemien

jamesdemien Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because people like us would complain about it one way or another.
  12. lmclamore

Oddometer:
    If they weren't so damn smug about their product I would give them more of a break. They can't see past their "superior" sunglasses.
  13. lmclamore

Oddometer:
    So of course I just noticed I'm sitting here bitching while sporting a BMW t-shirt. No wonder they are smug.
  14. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    For those who want clearance or just overall more rise, photo below shows 3/4" also available in 1.25".
    360 degree rotation is not a problem and with the large knob it makes it even easier to turn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NICE !

Q: How are the brake, clutch, and throttle lines when going to the 1.25 ?
    Are any of the lines too tight at L or R lock?
  16. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Set is going on a bike over the weekend, he'll get pictures up so we can see.
  17. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    James from Renazco Racing was nice enough to send me both size risers (¾” and 1 ¼”) that he made specifically for the Scotts stabilizer. They are solid with a great fit and finish. Both risers resolve the clearance issue with the base valve…the pointer will turn 360 degrees without a problem.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    With the stock brake line from the reservoir to the master cylinder on ABS bike, the 1 1/4" riser is too high...on a full bar lock the line is getting pulled at the reservoir end. I guess one can move the bar much more forward than where I have mine and be ok.

The 3/4" riser is fine...the brake line is getting pulled at full bar lock but not as much. I am going with the ¾’ riser.

Anyone with more specific questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

Both risers
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>

3/4" riser
    [​IMG]

3/4" riser view from front of bike
    [​IMG]

1 1/4" riser
    [​IMG]

1 1/4" riser view from front of bike
    [​IMG]
  18. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The clutch cable worked with both? ThaT surprises me. I thought the clutch cable would be a bigger issue than the brake cable.
  19. Lounge

Lounge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Rox offset risers work really well with the Scotts mount too. If it wasn't 1AM I'd go snap a pic and post it.

You will need the ST clutch cable and either flip the brake line upside down or get a longer brake line (I just flipped mine and it clears just fine).

$0.02 - cheers.
  20. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock clutch cable seemed fine with the 3/4" riser, but not with the 1 1/4" riser.