1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Steering stabilizer

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Moab, Aug 3, 2010.

1. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    There must be considerable variation between bikes - I have 30mm risers under my RalleMoto setup, all the cables reach just fine. If anything, it's the throttle cable that seems to be the limiting factor for me. I haven't burrowed around the stock looking for cable ties to cut to free up more slack either, but I'm sure there's some in there to be found.
  2. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cable did reach with the extra 3/4" or the extra 1 1/4" Ranazco risers, but were definately being pulled with the 1 1/4" at full handle bar locks. Also keep in mind how much forward or back a handle bar is set may make a slight difference in cable reach.
  3. Rossland Rider

Rossland Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed my Scotts damper and have now had a chance to ride it enough to be able to comment on it. I have the off-road model as James Renazco reccomended it for the type of riding I do, more off road than track type riding. The install was uneventfull although I would echo the earlier post to check the little clips havn't moved too much before you just keep dremelling away more and more plastic.
    On the road it gives the bike a more stable, planted feeling, like it is running on rails, no sense of wandering. I do run TKCs. Similarly off-road, I get a sense of calm, not as much fighting the terrain, more blasting through/ over it. In sand, front end wander is reduced significntly. In loose rocky terrain, the bars are not kicked around as much. In short, it works, better than I had expected. I thought most of the benefit would be in loose conditions but it really does feel better on the road and in non-technical dirt also.
    After much experimenting, I am running 7 clicks from full clockwise as my base position and will adjust no more than 3 clicks either way from there. My pointer does impinge on the bars but I don't find the need to adjust more than that anyway. I also find the rise from the mounting kit is a nice improvement in the riding position for me, particularly when standing.
    This is a fairly expensive farkle but for me, well worth the money, it makes even more positive difference than expected.
  4. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed one a month ago and have not commented on it, because you don't notice it. It goes where you point it. The front has stayed planted in some shallow sand, deep big gravel, in and out of shallow rain ruts and is not bothered by wind or truck blast.

Hard to comment of something that did not happen, as I thought the bike fairly planted to begin with, but was surprised at the sand and gravel.

As for the pointer problen, about 2 second with a pair of side cutters and the problem is solved. Shorter pointer.
  5. jamesdemien

jamesdemien Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tend to notice mine after someone test rides the bike and turns it all the way to the left and then I get back on and it's off.

Now that I've got Hyperpro springs all around and the Scotts set 2 clicks above halfway I feel a little faster with just a touch more control. I plow through the deep nasty gravel, ruts, etc.

I spent the weekend on the Swinging Bridges Ride here in Missouri and pretty much chewed through half of a rear TKC80 in 500 miles sliding through corners. The F8 felt considerable 'safer' at speed then it did before the springs and the Scotts.

But yeah, "it goes where you point it."
  6. Crankarm

Crankarm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I am all set to order a Scotts stabilizer
    I see you can order directly from Scotts , or any number of mail order places
    does anyone have a recomendation as to where currently is the best place to buy?

thanks
  7. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I got my parts from Renazco Racing, they support this site, have excellent customer service and the pricing is really good. :wink:
  8. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, Renazco is awesome. I ordered directly from Scotts, also awesome.
  9. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Renazco gave me a $50 discount if I used ADV or Adventure Rider in the discount order form. I got the last off road version they had a month ago, though 2 street version were on the shelf. Give them a call, good people.
  10. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am wondering if anyone else notices a lot more vibration being transferred to the hands since putting on the Scotts? Since I put it on after about an hour of riding 65-70 on the highway my hands go numb.
  11. The Griz

Oddometer:
    None here. Smooth as glass.

Is it possible that something didn't get tightened/torqued down like it should have?
  12. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was pretty thorough on the tightening, I was wondering if maybe I over tightened. Thanks for the response Griz.
  13. The Griz

Oddometer:
    No problem.

The only other thought I had was that if you overtightened the the two main bolts that hold the bar clamps to the upper triple tree, it could possibly translate more vibration to the bars and rider's hands. When done installing, you should still be able to see a bit of the black rubber vibration isolators that are built into the top triple tree after tightening the main bolts down. If you don't, then you've tightened too much and you have metal to metal contact between the handlebar clamps and upper triple tree transferring lots of vibes to the bars and your hands.

Hope this helps.
  14. mario33

mario33 Howling around...

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to get a steering stabilizer for my f8gs this month but I dont know which - all of them seem superb from your opinions ;) I've run through all those 30+ pages in this thread and I'm none the wiser...

I cant find any side-to-side comparison of RalleMotoRM2 vs. Scotts (+GPR if possible) - what are the strenghts and weaknesses of them as compared to the other. I would like to know that to make an educated buying decision. Help anyone ? :)
  15. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    I have a RM2 and it is a thing of beauty, works very well and is easy to adjust. 20mm bar rise is perfect for me. It's one of the best things I've done to the GS. Don't know much about the Scotts but I am sure they are good too! I think that the RM2 is a fair bit more compact though. :D
  16. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scott damper and 140/80 (TKC) rear are the two best 'accessories' I've added.
  17. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    I have had several GPR stabilizers on my KTM's and have been pleased. That being said, I decided on the Scotts for F800 and very happy with the purchase. It is very well built - gives you a bit of rise on the bars which is what I needed and removes most of the "spongy" feeling of the F8.
  19. jeff800gs

jeff800gs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is their any way to order the risers that were made from Renazco? I don't see anything on their website.
  20. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should call Renazco. :huh