Stelvio Clutch Groan

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by grt1500, Oct 26, 2016.

1. grt1500

grt1500 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've had my 2013 Stelio NTX for almost 2 years and 10K miles now and really like everything about it.

My only complaint: I have the commonly reported clutch "groan" which happens when starting from stop when the bike is cold and goes away after about 10 mins. This alone is a minor annoyance in an otherwise awesome bike.

Does anyone know if these groaning clutches fail or wear out prematurely? What kind of mileage should I expect before having to replace it?

Attached Files:

2. KraZ440

KraZ440 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that I know of. I have customers with 'Groaners' and nobody has had a catastrophic failure.

Just *My* experience.
  4. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine's a groaner. Occassionally it'll do it, only when cold, usually only once, upon the first or second time I let out the clutch. There's never been an operational problem that I could discern. If it grenades I'll be sure to report to the group. :D
  5. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    Is it true the California 1400 clutch can installed on the Stelvio? And it lessens clutch lever effort?
    Dracula likes this.
  6. T-Bone McBeef

T-Bone McBeef bOOb

Oddometer:
    Both my Stelvio and the mighty GRiSO will groan in the cold. For that matter, I do too...

The sound gets on my nerves, but I don't worry about it. It's a wart I can live with.
    Dracula likes this.
  7. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes to both. All earlier clutch versions for the 8V have been superceeded.
    Dracula likes this.
  8. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    A project for the future, maybe. I'd rather not think about it now. :lol3
  9. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Mine used to do it all the time on the first couple of cold launches. Now with over 80,000 miles, I cant remember the last time it did it.
  10. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine 2013 groaned from day one. At about 19k it started releasing very unpredictably. It was still under warranty and when they pulled the transmission the clutch springs in the pressure plate were eating there way through the metal and were not seating properly. Glad it was still under warranty.
  11. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    YAh, there was a short run of bad clutches. Is yours a 2012 build? That issue doesn't seem to be connected with the 'Groan' though.

Pete
  12. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine not only groaned when new, it would snatch lurching me forward and killing the engine. That stopped in months, and groans are rare now.
  13. grt1500

grt1500 n00b

Oddometer:
    Mine just has the groan that goes away after about 10 mins of running. Sounds like the groaning clutches are not seeing early failures.
  14. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    Mine groans when cold as well, goes away once warm.
  15. sloride

sloride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a left over 2013 Stelvio in April. New, never serviced and full warranty. At 300 miles it started making a noise that sounded as though it was a belt and then a clutch noise. It got worse and lasted longer, to the point as I pulled the clutch in, it would stop the noise. Before 400 miles it started sounding more like a bearing noise, loud and more consistent. So back into the dealer and I told them that the feeling I had was it was the clutch. They tore it apart, inspected the clutch and trans. Nothing. All Good. It's a long story, and 3 months later...... So, I told the Dealer I wanted a new clutch and trans, as I bought a new bike and wanted a new factory assembled bike not one as good as the mechanic that rebuilt it. The Factory Techs said put it back together and if it still makes noise, we'll give him a new trans and clutch. So, why would it not make noise if they didn't do anything but inspect and found no wear and nothing wrong? The answer is we want you to reassemble the bike with a NEW alignment tool that you have to wait on from Italy. The new tool is large and mounts with several bolts to the engine. The dealer used the tool realigned the clutch, reassembled the bike and the noise is gone and I now have 1000 miles on it and going strong. What the dealer suspects, and the factory is not admitting is that the clutch issues of 2012 was the result of clutch alignment problems from the factory.
    num1husker likes this.
  16. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    Did your dealer have to buy the new alignment tool?
  17. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look, with the greatest respect there is nothing special about how the clutch aligns. The crank and input shaft are concentric. The flywheel and clutch assembly is bolted to the front of the crank. The friction plate is splined onto the input shaft. The only 'Aligning' that has to be done is the friction plate in the clutch assembly to enable the gearbox to slip on easily. There is nothing about the alignment that would cause the clutch to make a weird noise. If it had been assembled wrongly somehow? Thats a different matter.

Pete
  18. sloride

sloride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pete, I have 4 Moto Guzzi's present An Eldo, Ambo, and T3. I have also had at least 5 others in the past, including small blocks versions. Ive also restored several and had several BMW's and restored of those also also. The fact that you don't understand, doesn't change the facts of this story which was posted for others with Stelvios. I'm aware of your experience with Guzzi's, however My experience is as stated. The clutch and transmission had no work done and was reassembled using a new alignment tool, that the factory obviously had reason to build and make available to the dealers. The reason I don't post often is there always seems to be some expert that discounts information placed on forums to help others. If anyone has a similar experience and needs more info don't hesitate to to contact me for facts. Thanks
    cation+ likes this.
  19. sloride

sloride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tim
    I'm not sure if they had to purchase the tool or not. I do know the factory techs were involved and they were confident enough to offer to replace the clutch and transmission if reassembling, and realigning with this tool (that we had to wait to be shipped) did not cure the problem. I asked, and wondered all the obvious questions in regards to this work performed by factory trained techs (not garage mechanics) under warranty. Cheers Tim
  20. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mate? There's no need to get shitty but the fact is that there has been no mention of any *New* tool for clutch alignment announced for the 8V clutch on the service portal, nor is there anything listed in the 'Special Tools' section.

There IS a clutch alignment tool, it allows the plate to be centred easily but it's the same one that has always been used.

Apart from that the flywheel bolts to the crank directly and the outer components are dowelled to the flywheel so they can't be misaligned.

As I said, I'm very glad that whatever was done fixed it but I don't see how it could be an alignment issue, that's all. No need to get all huffy and have a cow!

Pete