Stelvio Clutch Groan

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by grt1500, Oct 26, 2016.

1. StoneAgeMan

StoneAgeMan Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I trimmed out (and slightly edited for up-to-date context) a bunch of stuff out from this quote to get down to just the mechanical aspects of this alignment tool, hope I got it right. If I understand the mechanical aspects, they are:
    I must admit, a large tool implies rigidity (ok, at least to me :-)). And having a large alignment tool (hey, get your mind back over here) bolted on to the engine does sound like something that could be done during the process of assembling the clutch and related parts.

That seems like it would be helpful for assembly, perhaps the slightest misalignment puts some harmonic stress on one (or more?) of the springs? I've seen the Stelvio clutch guts, once only, and it had a broken spring and had also ground a groove into the case.

Anyway, the design (of the clutch) didn't look all that good to me, with the way the springs were nested and mounted, and with how the plates were tied together (all on a broken clutch though). All this is said without really knowing the exact assembly sequence or correct number of parts in this clutch assembly, so take my comment for what you paid for it :-)

Perhaps clutch alignment of these clutches (at least the older ones) is one of those more artsy things, like truing a wheel? There certainly are a lot of them that groan when cold (mine included, if not super-sensitive with the throttle/clutch speed alignment (my baby like it just 'so', thank you very much)

StoneAge Steve
  2. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    The clutch design is basically automotive in design. I have 80,000 fairly tough miles on mine and it has never slipped or broken. I'm going to do a replacement over the winter in prep of doing a couple of big rides next year including a long off road trip on one of the BDR's, and I don't want to take a chance of having it give up the ghost on the trip. I'm interested to see what remains of the clutch material when I pull it out. In general, Guzzi clutches are overbuilt, and many have gone over 100,000 miles.

Mine used to groan when it was cold first thing in the morning, but doesn't do it anymore leading me to believe the sound is generally related to the clutch material itself.
    StoneAgeMan likes this.
  3. sloride

sloride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pete, Not shitty, not huffy, not having a cow. I'm sorry no one notified you about a new factory tool, or made it available to your portal. I'm also sorry there is someone besides you that can fix a problem that seems intriguing. What is and isn't, what can and can't be, I'm sure is exactly as you say, and I hope the factory checks with you in the future. Cheers Mate
  4. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worshiping at the 'Shrine of Factory' won't get you very far. This is the factory that stuck underdeveloped DLC coated tappets in their motors and still deny that its a universal problem! :D The portal I was talking about is the Piaggio dealer portal and I can access it 'cos, well, yes, I'm a dealer, (Technically in Oz a service agent but that's by the by.) There is no *new* tool. Sorry.
  5. sloride

sloride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agreed with you, I already know from other forums, and pictures , You're not in a shack in the outback, your a factory trained, dealer with a huge staff of factory trained techs, with hundreds of new motorcycles, part of a huge chain carrying, all the major brands, in the biggest bike state, just like were I bought and serviced my new bikes under warranty. I'll call tomorrow, and tell them they are all unskilled liars, and that I know that for a fact because a guy with a computer on a forum said so. I also know of your degrees from prestigious colleges, maybe you can design a better bike for a Marque that obviously knows less than you. Wow, You can really access a portal? That must be thrilling!
  6. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a strange creature you are.
    joenuclear likes this.
  7. StoneAgeMan

StoneAgeMan Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Post up some pictures when you get that out.

I think all you can get is the newer model, except for whatever is in stock at one dealer or another, does that sound right?

StoneAge .
  8. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many dealers do you think keep a clutch assembly in stock? Really?
  9. elfrider

elfrider There goes my allowance!

Oddometer:
    Geez sloride, lighten up, get out on the bike more and get some therapy on two wheels. :hmmmmm
    HarveyMushman and River Rat like this.
  10. River Rat

River Rat Greybeard

Oddometer:
    rode Stella to work last Thursday, on leaving the groan appeared (first time ever) :scratch, did it twice and not since, WTF!!!!

anyhow if it wasn't for this forum I would have been a bit concerned :thumb
    HarveyMushman likes this.
  11. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    My 2012 never groaned, but it only was on the road 6k miles before a deer took it.
    My 2013 does groan when cold (below 80deg F), but it goes away quickly.

I don't worry about it and all is well.
  12. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2013 clutch never groaned. It always used to do a loud helicopter-like noise when cold starting the bike, then it would go away. Clutch pull was real hard to the point waiting on a steep incline with it pulled in my hand would go numb. One day around 44,000 miles mark, clutch simply exploded when I hit the starter button. Bits of metal could be heard flying inside, sloshing as the bike moved or leaned from side to side. I am slowly starting to take that bike apart to replace that clutch and whatever else got fried. My new 2016 Stelvio so far hasn't exhibited any of the above symptoms, and the pull force on clutch lever is feather-light by comparison.

Hopefully you were OK. I took one deer out with my 2013 for you. Score!
  13. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    splenectomy, tib fracture/plate, 8 days in rehab, nearly punched my ticket. Locals were gutting the deer while they were loading me into the 'bambulance. This was 9/30. I was back on the KTM 990 in December and replaced the Stelvio that spring with another. ~25k miles on that one so far.
  14. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy shit man!!! I am really glad you survived! I could have been there too. When I saw the deer, to the left in front just feet away, I hit the throttle and hanged on for dear life. I think the miracle was that deer was late jumping and instead of T bone, it's head hit the left front air ducts, smashed them, then brushed knocking hard on my knee and finally ripped almost completely the Traxx bag on left side (it looked like one of those Mercedes Gullwing up swinging doors). But after a great deal of wobble the bike stayed upright and on the road.