1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Steppe Out: Travels Around Mongolia, Summer 2014

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by live2ridetahoe, May 22, 2014.

1. forestwiz

forestwiz n00b

Oddometer:
    I ll be at Oasis/UL on Aug. the 2nd ,start ride hopefully on the 4rd/buying one of these bikes new most probably.if anyone is in the area and want to get in touch ,welcome.I ll go to khovsgol and further north To Tsangaanur/reindeer herders

Tahoe, any idea of where this pic is? I askd Joe but did not reply ,prob didnt check his mail (?) looks like a fab place where to stop.
    thanks fro your RR ,amazing ! ,,happy trails!

Attached Files:

2. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do not know exactly where this place is. It is possible, from rereading Joe's thread, that is is somewhere at Tsenkher Hot Springs. There are several resorts there, and they all tap into the hot springs. I stayed at one of the guesthouses there. It was one of the best experiences of my whole trip. I still keep in touch with the people I met there.

Just know, that when you get up to Khovsgol, you cannot ride north and then up and over the mountains to see the reindeer herders. You will have to arrange for a horse tour. It is a 10+ day trip, usually 2 weeks.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or want info.

I'm jealous of your trip. I wish I was going back.

Tahoe
  3. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure I sat in that pool at Tsenker last summer. I don't remember the name of the resort. It was on the left after you arrive. The parking lot is in front and you can ride aound to the right and behind to the service entrance.
  4. live2ridetahoe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for chiming in FP. There is even a little general store at Tsenkher Hot Springs if you need to do some last minute shopping. AKA, no need to carry in vodka or beers. You can buy all there. Just gas up at a town before going in.

Here is an important tip...

There IS a trail/road of some sorts from the southern part of the Okhorn Valley to Tsenkher Hot Springs. Several people I met took the road from near the Monastery/Waterfall to the hot springs. I do not have coordinates, but it would be a great way to go. One could always go from Kharkhorin Monastery to Tsenkher Hot Springs and THEN head south to the Okhorn/Ulaantsutgalan Waterfall and the Erdene Zuu Monastery. One word of caution tho... I have heard about price gouging and threats surrounding the horseback ride up to the monastery. With your vehicle (and all of your stuff) left at the bottom, it may be subject to theft/vandalism. One couple I met in UB said that they had to pay a "security" fee to someone to have him watch their motorcycles while they went to the monastery. This was the only incidence I have heard about something shady happening. I'm sure it does happen, so watch out.

Tahoe
  5. bob66

bob66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2010 we (4 guys) left our bikes down there and we went up to the monastery by horse.. I don't remember how much we payed, but it wasn't cheap.

Cristian / Bob
  6. spjinseattle

spjinseattle Strom and DR Rider

Oddometer:
    Tahoe, just spent the last hour+ reading this whole trip report. Epic trip, and great job on the RR!!!... and thanks for totally buggering my work motivation for the rest of the day! Time to take one of the bikes out for a spin.:rofl

PS, disappointed no picture of the Jewish princess!
  7. live2ridetahoe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind comments SPJ!

I know... I know... I regret not getting a photo with her... She was stunning...

Cheers!

Tahoe
  8. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tahoe - great RR, one of the best I've read on ADVRIDER, and from an inmate in Concord, CA no less, I am in Pleasanton area :D
  9. forestwiz

forestwiz n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks ,I think will look around at Tsenkher hotspring to find it.

anyway as far my info goes ,there is a (*12 hours)minibus that arrive Tsaaganuur from Moron,then people hire horses there to reach the Taiga.so if a bus can go ,good chances a motorbike too(?) did u attempt?
  10. forestwiz

forestwiz n00b

Oddometer:
    in other words ,I think you mean the last part of the green route from Hatgal to Tsagaanuur is not possible.west of the lake then left...

while the pink is where the bus goes,( from Moron to Tsaaganuur) and this should be ok for lightweight motorbikes (?)

Attached Files:

11. live2ridetahoe

Oddometer:

Correct. They only let people on horseback go over the mountain pass north of Khatgal. I think that you can drive north from Moron and then go west and north to Tsagaanuur.

Have an awesome time!!!

Tahoe
  12. live2ridetahoe

Oddometer:
    I decided to take advantage of the new feature and change the name of my RR. Hope I don't confuse anyone.

Tahoe
  13. Shastarider

Shastarider Head and Eyes

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to document your adventure. Wow!!!
  14. live2ridetahoe

Oddometer:
    Thank you Shastarider!!
  15. Malaleche

Malaleche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I am going on a last minute trip to Mongolia. I leave on Saturday (yup....2 days from now). Can anyone answer these quick questions?

1) MAIN QUESTION: GPS: Where to download a gps map for my garmin?

2) GUIDE? Do I need a guide? I found ride Mongolia. They rent DR 650s for 80/day and a guide for 100/day.

Not sure I need a guide, but I don't want to get hopelessly lost.

3) BIKE? Should I rent the DR 650 (I am six foot four) or the 150 from Cheke? My concern with the 650 is if I break down, they won't have parts for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the last minute requests!

Cheers
  16. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    The DR probably won't have a mechanical, it's an amazingly durable bike. Just don't prang it.
  17. Malaleche

Malaleche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    True. I just didn't want to bring all of my tools! haha.
  18. Malaleche

Malaleche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any advice on where to get a Mongoia map for my Garmin?
  19. bob66

bob66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    try here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

also, you can install on your smartphone a maps application, for example: maps.me where you can download the openstreetmaps and you can upload kml track into it.

Cristian / Bob
  20. Malaleche

Malaleche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant. Thanks. Both worked! I'm set.