Stewart/Cassiar Hwy B.C. 37

Discussion in 'Canada' started by pnwroamer, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Taxguy

Taxguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've decided to do both; I am keeping my ZX9R for the triple digit stuff but have added a Wee-Strom to the stable for my other adventures.
  2. Big Gorilla

Big Gorilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode the Cassiar back in 1984 on my BMW R80G/S. I ran into a couple guys from the Portland on full dress Honda Gold Wings. one had a lawn chair strapped on top of his back seat. If they made it, anyone can. :D
  3. pmdave

pmdave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the Cassiar a couple of years ago, on my way from Anchorage to Port Angeles, via Prince Rupert and Vancouver Island.

It was the second week of June, and there had been a monster storm parked over Western BC for a week. That meant snow at anything over about 2,500 feet, and rain, rain, rain near the coast. I was stopped along the highway taking a photo, when a car driver stopped to look at the Capo Nord I was riding. In the course of our conversation, the subject of the Cassiar came up. And I'll repeat his advice: "If the weather is good, definitely take the Cassiar. But if the weather is bad, definitely don't do the Cassiar."

In my case, it had snowed a couple of feet at higher elevations, so the Alcan was out. Fortunately, the morning I arrived at the junction, the sun popped out, and I had blue skies for the whole way south, and damp dirt in the unpaved sections--but not slick from the Calcium Chloride they dump on it to keep the dust down. I enjoyed the road almost to myself for many miles, and can only repeat the advice above. When traveling north, you must be prepared for a layover to let the weather settle down, or the road crew to finish the repairs.

If the weather is good, any motorcycle will be fine on the Cassiar or Alcan. No roads in Alaska or Canada are 100% "paved", because they are constantly under repair, even if paved at one time. One of the big hazards is getting sprayed with rocks from an oncoming vehicle. I took a rock in the "channel one" finger of my left hand, which drew blood right through a leather glove. I decided to keep riding through tears because it would take a half tank to be able to use my clutch hand again. You learn to be paranoid about vehicles approaching.

I would encourage you to plan a northerly trip for a little later in the season, say late June at the earliest. Hey, it snows up there!

If you stop at Dease Lake, I suggest you keep an eye on your bike, and check your tires before rolling away. I'm almost positive a 16d nail I found in my rear tire at Stewart was propped against my rear tire at Dease Lake by some local carpenters who were hanging around a pickup truck and an old 3-wheeled ATV. This isn't typical of Canadians, but there are dumb clucks in every part of the world. Just check your tires before you move the bike.

Some riders prefer the lonely miles of the Yellowhead highway east to Prince George, and then south via the Fraser River Canyon. I prefer the Yellowhead west to Prince Rupert, then the BC ferry to northern Vancouver Island. That works for me because it's only 90 minutes from Victoria BC to my home near Port Angeles. If you're heading east, you'll want to go via Prince George.

Taxguy: see you in Hyder this spring. :freaky

pmdave
  4. 00Buck

00Buck dirt rules

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed reading all the info posted and checking out the links and pictures. I'll be riding to Hyder and Telegraph Creek end of May with Taxguy. Hope we get good weather but should be an adventure either way.

Mike
  5. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ouch....flying rocks

One word of advise when you get to the road construction. If the line of cars is being held up by a flag person.....ride to the head of the line. It is much safer to be the first in line and stay out of the gravel spray. Most of the flaggers have no problem with this move but mom and pop in the RV my not be too happy. Smile and explain that you dont need to get peppered by their windybegger and that your gonna pass them 50 feet past the construction zone anyway. It also helps to tell the lady riding shotgun in the RV that you really like the color blue of her hair.

Just a thought....Works for me. (well not the blue hair part)