Stewarts Point / Skaggs Springs Road Ride

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by rideLD, Dec 17, 2005.

1. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    A little north of Sonoma county, (about 70 miles north of San Francisco) Hwy 1 intersects with a road named Stewarts Point Rd. Make a right on it. (If you went left you would be in the ocean.) It starts with several miles of typical CA paved goat trail followed by at least 25 miles of the finest on-camber, intersection-free, high-speed sweepers. There are two "slow" turns marked with 20 mph advisories, but you can get though them about 60mph if you don't mind dragging you peg feelers a little. One is the only seriously decreasing radius turn on the whole road. Take care--you will be totally zoned when you get to it. This is the closest thing to track riding on the road, I have ever experienced. The road surface quality is awesome, some of the corners even have "run off", (although some have guard rails and cliffs.) Best to go on the weekdays and usually there will be no cars or cops there. It has become popular with sport bikers in recent years so there has been some police presense on the weekends. Best to take a slow run through your first time and check for cops. You will never see them in the goat trail section. Overall it is a great ride. Not to mention, the whole ride up Hwy 1, to get there is beautiful, with great twisties, great views, but a few too many slow motorhomes. There are passing lanes about every 3-5 miles on Hwy1. Remember, the cops rarely pull you over for speeding on a two lane road in California. But they will get you everytime for crossing a double yellow line.

Attached Files:

2. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    This a great road, but there are tons of great roads in this area, both N and S. And I hate to see roads reach "destination" status as it just means lots of squids and lots of wrecks. Finally, I don't think it is a good idea to run a road repeatedly as it really pisses the locals off with good reason. So my advice is to go up there and explore, don't just do this one road. Then we can all keep enjoying it.

- Mark
  3. fahrtleiter

fahrtleiter Volunteer Staph

Oddometer:
    Watch out for hopped-up locals in the western section. There are many blind turns, and the cagers are frequently over on your side of the road when you meet them in turns. That many of them appear to be freaking on meth should be cause for concern.
  4. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Locals??? There are no locals on the "race track" section of this ride, not a house! This could be one of the biggest porkbelly projects ever for motorcyclists one incredible road that goes from nowhere to nowhere!

Jim in Sacramento
  5. Noguz

Noguz Rest in peace, William.

Oddometer:
    Jim in Sac, if you believe there aren't any locals in that stretch then you're not very observant. There are plenty. Those little dirt roads go back to various homes and ranches. They don't care for the squids much, I can tell you that much.

For anyone else interested, a one-vehicle crash up there on a bike is automatically issued a Reckless Driving citation, which in itself is enough points that you will lose your license. The local CHP and Sheriffs have long ago tired of picking up squids and disengaging their bodies from the barbed-wire fences along the road.

There are plenty of more interesting roads in the vicinity. I'm not about to tell you all about them. Sorry. Just seen the way things go over time.
  6. cohassetsteve

cohassetsteve Sikkle Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey, Guys, How do you use the GPX files...Mapsource doesn't appear to know what they are - DeLorme doesn't seem to know what they are
    :vardy

7. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was referring to the "race track" section of the road from the dam to the end of the new road. Other than what appears to be some new high end development around the boat ramp road, there are almost no roads that that intersect the main road. This is probably because the road runs along a ridge line that is so steep on either side that you couldn't ride a dirt bike up or down it. Once past the new road you do pass some dirt roads, some buildings and some ranches. My recommendation is to ride within your limits, be courteous to other drivers on the road and respect the areas you ride through. If you do that I don't think you will have trouble with either the law or the locals.

Interesting response and I anticipate there are a lot more who feel the way you do, that's your choice. I hope there are more people like Jean-Luc, R-dubb, et al who are willing to share some of their wonderful rides with us. These are all public roads and routes we share, they don't belong to you and they can be shared by anyone capable of riding them. I don't understand your thinking, are you trying to protect the public roads from the public? Do you think you have something that will diminish in value if you share it? I like to believe the ADVrider community is one built on sharing ideas and information. Without sharing this would be a pretty worthless forum. I try and leave more than I take.

I have been riding Stewart's Point-Skaggs Springs road for over 10 years now, it is the same road I first enjoyed, and my enjoyment hasn't been dimished one bit due to the fact that it is now a well known biker's road. In spite of all the publicity it still gets minimal traffic.

Jim in Sacramento
  8. rideLD

Oddometer:
    Thats the point of this forum to tell others about good rides to take on motorcycles. If you are of the opinion they should be kept secret perhaps this is not the place for you? :confused
  9. Noguz

Noguz Rest in peace, William.

Oddometer:
    If you look carefully along the so-called "racetrack portion" you will notice dirt roads intersecting the main road. My gf a few years back worked the US Census 2000 and that was her section. She told me about the places she visited out there. I have also met some of them at the Dry Creek Deli, some have motorcycles (mostly HDs). So there are plenty out there, though I don't see what difference it would make.

And no, I don't feel like I own the road. I feel that if you want to find roads you like, go look for them; there are plenty. I mean the list goes on. How tight to dou like them?

Geysers Rd? Ida Clayton? Hopland Grade? 128? King Ridge? Am I supposed to tell the board what the best roads are? I would think everyone would already know.

My salient point was that various police agencies have made Skaggs Springs into a target area, hence the automatic reckless driving ticket in the event of a solo crash. It is the popularization of any road which leads to that. I just don't like to see it happen. Locals see multicolored race-gear motorcyclists as if they are someone from another planet, by the way.
  10. MattS

MattS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On a trip to Marin and Sonoma earlier this year, I avoided Stewarts Point-Skaggs Springs because of its popularity, and found some great roads in the area.

Attached Files:

11. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no issue with riders pointing people to good roads. And this road is no great secret - there are a number of web sites that describe it.

My only point is that with the great roads in this area, it is more productive to point folks to the area and to the general sites that describe all the great roads (e.g. http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm) rather than single one out and encourage what is happening already - people going up there and spending the day treating it as their own private racetrack. And for the good of the sport, I strongly advise against running a road multiple times for the same reason that I don't think it is a good idea to drive your car back and forth in front of someone's house all day long. It's simply not courteous. And there are lots of people who live on this road or on nearby spur roads - they use this road everyday, and calling 911 and giving first aid to someone impaled on a guard rail is not something you want to make part of your everyday life. If you lived there, you'd probably feel the same way too.

- Mark
  12. rideLD

Oddometer:
    True but many in this forum may not of heard of it and my purpose of posting it was for those planing trips to the area.

If I lived there, I would be too busy riding to worry about. :D
  13. MattS

MattS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And if they haven't, they've probably been sleeping ... kind of like pointing to Deal's Gap and saying, "Hey, d00dz, I found a gr8 road!" Yeah, whatever.

Yep, and exactly why I declined the option to head up there on a Sunday ... in case some douchebag who thinks he's on the track has a "my bad" moment too near to me.

The sentiment here is not to deprive people from finding out about good roads, but perhaps to point to them in a more responsible manner. When you're selling something as "track riding on the road," it's irresponsible.
  14. rideLD

Oddometer:
    Save it for your congregation Reverend! :lol3
    If you don't need the track, don't download it.:D
  15. MattS

MattS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lordy! Lordy! Can I have a member of the con-GRUH-gation?!?:D

(Don't worry, I downloaded it. I will see your time and attempt to beat it ... on a Tuesday.)
  16. USA_MEDIC

USA_MEDIC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hmm...Where do I start. Let's see,

FIRST OFF, people in this area are mostly ranchers and loggers, not meth users, wrong county, go east to lake county for that.

Second, THe cops love tagging people out here, and contrary to popular belief, are actually targeting tuesday through thursday because they know what we know about squids on weekends.

Third, it is a great section of road, I should know. I grew up in Annapolis and know every goat trail out there. It's unfortunate but the squids and sportbike riders have ruined this road for genral purpose riding. TOO Many people head out here daily and I can't tell you how many people I have had to render BLS care to(see screen name, you should get the picture). If your planning on a high speed jaunt, do it somewhere else.

Either you will get a ticket, stack, get a ticket and stack, or piss off a local, which could be worse that all the other options.

Whatever you do, don't cross the double yellow anywhere on this new section of road, some of the cagers drive faster than most of the bikes.

Much of my family live in the area still and complain to me constantly about the misuse of motorcycles in the area. This coming from people who love to ride. As you can see the heavy cycle use just makes it worse.
  17. Dirtrax

Dirtrax n00b

Oddometer:

I spent the first 38 yrs. of my life in Gualala. Much the same as you I know and ride the road well. Well... I know the road well. It is truly one of the better motorcycle roads in the west. Fortunately there is no shortage of them. My feeling is that as long as one keeps it on their side of the road nobody seems to care much. It is a basic courtesy to not endanger someones family for a cheap thrill. Besides, if you travel too fast you are going to miss the tons of opportunities to discover the road less traveled. That being said, it is possible to move along at a pretty exciting clip under good control and still not feel cheated.

I would'nt worry about trying to keep this road a secret. It's very much out there from all the talk I've heard and the write-ups in various publications. Besides, you know what they say about a secret: three people can keep a secret...if two of them are dead!
  18. doc riverz

doc riverz anatra di seduta

Oddometer:
    Stewarts Point/Skaggs Springs Road? No, Officer, I've never been there. :evil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. Dirtrax

Dirtrax n00b

Oddometer:
    Uh-hu, that pretty much places you at the scene of the crime! Anything you say can and will be used against you. You do recall that the speed limit on that section of road is 35 mph don't you. Word has it that you may have exceeded that by a hair.

"Badges...we don't need no stinking badges!"
  20. doc riverz

doc riverz anatra di seduta

Oddometer:
    No way, sir, that would be illegal! Bwahhahahah... :lol3