Stewarts Point / Skaggs Springs Road Ride

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by rideLD, Dec 17, 2005.

1. kbasa

kbasa Super D-bagalicious Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Hell, that's what the locals all call that road. "Everything but the grandstands". :lol3

We try to avoid it during the weekends when enforcement is heavy. There are locals there, Skaggs is the only road that heads east from Healdsburg. Lots of those folks use Skaggs and Point Stewart road as their route to go buy groceries and the like and they drive it fast.

I still don't know what you guys are arguing about. That road is pretty famous out here and worth a run. However, if you have a GS, you'll have even more fun on the surrounding roads. Less enforcement, less traffic and spectacular views.

[​IMG]
    Skaggs Springs Road. Western section as it heads down to the lake area.
  2. NinjaConvert

NinjaConvert n00b

Oddometer:
    That store hasn't been open all Summer has it?
  3. brfinley

brfinley Brooster Supporter

Oddometer:
    You put together a pretty high concentration of fun roads for somebody from elsewhere. Do you just have good instincts, or did you get inside help?

If you don't mind, I cleaned up your tracklog a little bit. A good day on the bike to be sure.

Attached Files:

4. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
    Here is a few more pix and route maps for the area if you want find some fun roads. I really like King Ridge and Tin Barn.

Skaggs-o-Rama
  5. Odysseus

Odysseus Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer:
    My sister lives in Cloverdale and I like to make a run out to Stewart's Point every time I'm there. I have never done it on a weekend though, and from my point of view the weekday traffic can best be described as deserted... I have been known to go above the posted speed limit by a tick or two, but I ride within my limits, and as far as I know I haven't pissed off any locals. I even stopped and gave a local guy a ride into town after his car had broken down by the bridge last summer. We technically broke the law because I didn't have a helmet for him, but we went slow, and he really seemed to appreciate the fact he didn't have to walk 20 or so miles.
  6. scottr

scottr Banned

Oddometer:
    Pedernales R., Tx Hill Country (Ihadthisavatar1st)
    Shit. Where am I?

I was slumming around the GPS section looking for GPS info and what do I find? HOME!:cry

My old stomping grounds. Where I was young and dumb and full of .......
    well you know. (HEAVY sigh) It was so painful ... yet so GD much FUN!

I will probably never go back there as it is all now probably a pile of shit compared to 1970. :waysad
  7. brfinley

brfinley Brooster Supporter

Oddometer:
    1. Press "Mark", label the waypoint "Ass"
    2. Whenever you stop somewhere, do a "find" on "Ass", then from the menu, select "relocate to here".
    3. You will never loose it.

BRF
  8. ApexMolester

ApexMolester george of the jungle

Oddometer:
    mike is on his badit 1200 and i wason my ktm950. mike lives 15 minutes from skaggs. even totaly loaded, my ktm loves that road every time i've been on it. i've had my share of warp runs on my sport bikes through there, andit's real easy to get sucked into speeds above the posted ones.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31144
  9. v8turbo

v8turbo When in Doubt.... Gas it.

Oddometer:
    one of my favorite roads. rode it 3 times in one day. my friend and i, motoholic, found this by accident.

as for cops, i have seen them only once. and it was a line of them. 4 or 5 to be exact. looks like they were cutting through from the 101 to 1.

great views, good road, worth the ride up from LA.
  10. Maddog R-259

Maddog R-259 Maddog R-259

Oddometer:
    I have said for years that this was one of the most stupid speed limits in the world around the Sonoma resevior. One of my favorite roads out to Stewarts Point. I outran a Ducatti 900 SS on the first part of the road from the coast on my 95 1100 GS. I waited for him at the bridge before the fast part and then it was another story.
  11. kbasa

kbasa Super D-bagalicious Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Well, they patrol it pretty regularly and pretty heavily now, including sending up a helicopter to time folks that are hauling ass. That's what those big white T marks on the road are for.
  12. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    that tin can road is killer-i saw maybe one person in 50 miles-and 400 cows-nice bumpy twisty so no squids-first part is east of 101 maybe 75 miles of ez dirt courtesy of michaelN

Attached Files:

13. twisty sister

twisty sister CRACK pot

Oddometer:
    This is one of my all time favorite rides...but in recent years, has become popular with the LEO's in the area...thanks to, I suppose, the many out of towners who frequent it and don't know about the SHARP unexpected turn while looking at the pretty view...that and the squids who are goin' too bloody fast to enjoy said view!:evil
  14. Red Bull

Red Bull Owner - Sonoma Moto - BMW certified Tech

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap
    It's safe to say that any spring day, you will have at least one squid ride above their limits, most-of-the-time, just enough to shit skid marks in thier drawers! Sadly I have witnessed a frned crash one of my Beamers right infront of me. It' was just one of the momentary distractions. So have fun, but try to ride with some level of respect for this GREAT road. If too many more accidents happen there, (including enforcement), we will "all" loose the fun of this ride! If you ride Mountian Bikes, just ask any Marin resident what happened to most every trail! As for me, it's already too crowded. and beeing a Medic, many of my rides have ended in road-side medical treatment (broken clavicles, ribs, Abrasions and contusions mostly.)
    BTW- I will not be contributing my rides to this fourm. Too many of you are already following me and I know theire is a bounty on my GPS waypoint and trails. Sorry, but I savor the few sonoma county off-road GS trails and know what will happen once "the gang" starts following me. Stop following me! :D