Sticky GSA Shifter

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by cjw25, Jul 14, 2016.

1. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My shifter seems to stick up when I shift into 2nd (about 50% of the time at the moment). When I go for third, the lever is up, and then comes down when I hit it. Any thoughts?
  2. Booyashaka

Booyashaka Ride Report Junkie

Oddometer:
    Any recent drops? Bent lever (more likely shaft)?

Is the lever physically stuck up, or is the shift just stuck between gears? Due for an oil change?
  3. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Half way between oil change (i.e. @3kmiles). The lever (and shaft) stays in the up position. The shift succeeds, and I won't know it is stuck up until I go for the next gear. And I should say sometimes it pops down after several seconds; I only know because it pops me in the toe. Shift up to 5th now stuck twice for about two seconds, then lever returned. I had a dirt/grass drop on that side practicing figure-8's. I also did burn the clutch some at the same time; enough to smell it.
  4. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    if an oil change isn't helping I guess it is time to open that thing up and check the clutch and other internal parts if they are bend. order a new seal right now so that you won't be stranded if the old one can't be reused
  5. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I changed the oil last weekend on everyone's advice here (I was actually 4500 miles with the previous oil, not the the 3k I listed). Seems to be working fine now. Thanks.
  6. KC7

KC7 Camping Machine

Oddometer:
    I know this was an old post, but for anyone else who may run into a gear shift lever that wants to stick either down or up, I had the same problem on my '15 R1200GSA until today. It began with quite awhile back and just got progressively worse. On today's ride, it got MUCH worse, and I was having to tap the shifter back into a position where I could get up or down a gear. Shifting itself seemed fine but the lever would stick on every shift. BEFORE you tear down your whole transmission, clutch (or several other fairly radical ideas I've seen on various forums)....pull your shift linkage (external) off of your shift lever....pull it fully off from both ends / sockets...and then check for any gouging inside the "cups" that the balls pop into. Also, clean up everything and dab a tad of grease into each cup before inserting back onto balls (or whatever you call those spherical parts). It appears my cups have NEVER had any grease in them, and to compound the issue further, it appears one of the "safety clips" had gotten into the wrong position and had gouged (over time and many shifts) one of the cup's edges fairly badly, causing quite a bit of "notchy" resistance. I ordered a whole new linkage and some extra safety clips (retainer clips) due to the condition of the cup "lip" that had been gouged out, but I put the old linkage back on after greasing and properly installing the clips, and it shifted like butter with NO sticky shift lever. Good luck, and hope you read this before tearing down further, if you happen to have the same issue.
  7. Duitser

Duitser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    pics?
  8. KC7

KC7 Camping Machine

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic of the damage done to the (apparently crappy cast metal) socket by the external "safety clip" that goes over each socket/ball. This one's shown with a new "safety clip" in place (going in my case as a spare). IMG_9350.jpeg
    The metal of the socket is unbelievably soft compared to the spring steel of the safety clip, from what I can tell. Even slightly damaged the new one, putting the safety clip on (almost feels like the socket is made of lead...can't be). Anyway, when the spring damages the socket edges enough (like mine did), shifting gets REALLY difficult and notchy, finally ending up with a shifter that gets stuck either up or down. Seems like a crappy design to me...something's not right with a spring that can wear down and damage the socket like this. P.S. If you ever change yours, there is an "internal" circular spring INSIDE each socket. The "safety clip" is just an added external precaution, I suppose (actually, I suspect the linkage would stay in place without the external safety clips, but who knows).