Still riding?.. Definitely!

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Jim Day, Jun 3, 2020.

1. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    78 yo, rides are Buell s1, Ducati 750ss, and a couple of custom Yamaha singles. You kids git off my lawn. :1drink
  2. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    Hear you're still tearing up the roads around Alice's ;-))
    Anatoli and robtg like this.
  3. hunterkey

hunterkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    29 and feeling fine! Here to carry the torch. Airheads for life :super
    Bigger Al, aptbldr, cwroady and 2 others like this.
  4. interiorak

interiorak Breathe now ... Proceed as way opens Supporter

Oddometer:
    74 years young ... sold the 95 r1100gs ... think i'll ride alaska alittle lighter this season ...

IMG_1127lr.jpg
    dcoop, patrkbukly, Wolfgang55 and 4 others like this.
  5. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:

Haven't been riding for a couple of months. Plan to polish off the "chicken strips" soon.
    Maybe I will do a social distancing ride by Alice.s and flip them off to let them know I
    am still alive.
    Wolfgang55 and Beemerguru like this.
  6. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    If you do,
    If you do..maybe head down the hill and stop at the shop.. Nice to see you again
  7. Texer

Texer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    62. Early adapter and late bloomer. Youngest in the family, and my first riding was on this ‘tote-goat” that my father George had made for hunting in our Washington state when I was a little kid. Amazing workmanship that would allow a kid like me to ride that around the back lot so easily. Dad had style too; check out the matching plaids. 1F2ED714-E352-4CB1-8462-7E43913E8B7E.jpeg
    Dad was a machinist for life and a solid hunter who always brought home the deer and elk, and so combined these interests and skills for this. My favorite was the pheasant, what a treat. A driven thrifter, years later he brought home an Allstate 90 from the goodwill that needed points (which Sears of course still carried; remember Sears?) and handed it off to 11 year old me, and taught me how to mix the the oil and gas. A tragedy in the family changed things a lot, and I lost interest as the years and location changed. Don’t know where the Allstate is now. In my 30’s I decided that I’d like a bmw r75/5 (I think the styling of the /5 nacelle reminded me of the styling of the Allstate and so that was the plan). Made the purchase at 51. Still have it, won’t be the one who sells it.
  8. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did that with my late brother's R60/6, which hadn't run in 17 or 18 years. Make it look like an R60S, Monza blue, all stock, and my son of the same name rode it all during undergrad.
    Uke likes this.
  9. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are not alone... bf6.jpg bf8.jpg bf11.jpg bf12.jpg
    dcoop, patrkbukly, Wolfgang55 and 6 others like this.
  10. cwroady

cwroady Broken Arrow Moto

Oddometer:
    Depends on the bike I think ... I’d be much more motivated on a ‘60’s era BMW than the old Hodaka or SACHS I planted under my Avacado tree.
  11. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might want to update the thread title to "Still Riding?.. Defiantly!"
    Jim Day, SculptD and bmwrench like this.
  12. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    "Depends on the bike I think ... I’d be much more motivated on a ‘60’s era BMW than the old Hodaka or SACHS I planted under my Avacado tree."

This is why I call myself an idiot, anything on two wheels is my attraction. I've been known to pick up a Yamaha HT1 for $35 and dump more than the bike was worth just to hear it run again. I used to ride that same HT1 back and forth to work while bringing back a Triumph Tiger Cub. Like I said, anything with 2 wheels. Some of the bikes I've rescued are so incomplete that I've built them up as specials. To hear them run again for the first time in years is special to me, it's one of the things I live for.
  13. 100RT

100RT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many decades ago I got rid of my airplane and started riding again!
    unnamed cropped.jpg
    CCitis, dazz, ccmickelson and 2 others like this.
  14. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:

I think that if I landed a plane like that I would find something else to do too.
  15. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll see your plane and raise you one. Vertical takeoff.
    plane arch.JPG
    dcoop, Jedi2Rider and Uke like this.
  16. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    That's pretty cool but I think I'll just stay down here and watch!
  18. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see life is still worth living, for some. 75 here & holding.
    First bike was a Bronco 125 Ducati forgot the yr, First BMW was a 250 single forgot the yr, bought it too in the early 60s....I think.

Had a stroke due to multi cerebral impacts, some w/ a helmet in place.

I couldn't figure out why I was crashing so often....much later in life. Dr suggest a battery of test & from there things really went down that slippery road .

Still ride & find riding helps me keep focused. Most of my riding was off the pavement, now I try to stay on the pavement.

Hope I'm not intruding on sacred turf. Have much enjoyed reading everyone's postings. Still have a BMW w/sidecar now.
  19. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep on keeping on!

I, too, had a stroke, May 20 of last year. The neurologist couldn't explain what triggered my event other than a clot that originated in my lower extremities and traveled through my heart to my brain. I had spent that day and the previous two driving from HouTex to LA with my son. It's a real awakening when a neurologist reviews a MRI of your head and points to a white area and mentions this is where your brain died.

The weird thing (it's me, so something has to be weird), is there is no apparent residual effect. The event occurred in an area associated with sensory perception, for which multiple tests clearly indicate no diminishment. The neurologist thinks maybe it was a repeat occurrence and my brain had already learned a workaround, which usually takes as much as a year to happen.

One thing obviously different between this year and last year prior to the stroke, I have much less tolerance of heat. I can't believe how easily I fatigue due to ambient temperature now, kind of inconvenient for one who lives in coastal Texas. Our high today is 99º F with a feels like temperature of 111º F due to humidity.

When the day comes I no longer feel safe on two wheels, I hope I'm able to transition to a hack and keep on keeping on.

ATGATT

20. crazy1

crazy1 n00b

Oddometer: