Still riding?.. Definitely!

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Jim Day, Jun 3, 2020.

1. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am into my 68th year of puberty, and don't plan on changing anything. Started riding when I was 13 and have had a MC of some sort for almost all of those years, all of my friends that I had ridden with have stopped riding and think Iam the crazy one. Almost all of my bikes have been Yamaha's ...but I did own a R-90/6 for a short time sold it and still want another before I run out of time. I always find myself back here in the Airhead thread when I visit this site.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I always like to say "You are only young once, but you can be immature forever!"
    Uke, WRC51 and radmeister like this.
  3. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    Our mothers must be related... mine said I never got past 14...perpetually immature kid.

Oh well..I'm still having fun
    WRC51, bleaknessengine and Uke like this.
  4. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    If it's still fun, why change?
    WRC51 likes this.
  5. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    Probably why I'm still single
    bleaknessengine and Disston like this.
  6. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Me 2.
  7. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a guy at a garage where I used to get my car fixed. His Formula 3 car was there all the time. He gave up racing it at the age of 60 and fell into a deep depression.

Im kinda scared of giving up racing for the same reason :) 7D2_1786-L.jpg :)
  8. 190e

190e Long timer

Oddometer:
    They say you will never see a motorcycle parked outside a shrink's office .
  9. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    It's a bitch when age is all they see.
  10. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That makes you my brother! My mother said that.
  11. Nortonbrian

Nortonbrian nortonbrian Supporter

Oddometer:
    82, still riding, gave up single track off road but dirt and gravel still fun. Gripe, bikes are getting way too heavy and tall, the ridings easy, its the getting on and off the things!
    Texer, 190e, Uke and 4 others like this.
  12. ishmac

ishmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be turning 60yrs old in a few months and still riding. Got my full motorcycle license at aged 18 and still doing it, I've so much two-wheel passion.

I now have two motorcycles in my garage, plenty of years left in me to explore the globe. Within the past few years I'd a medical blip (A.L.L.) which restricted me riding for a few years as I recovered, but great to be back in the saddle...!

Cheers;
    Peter
  13. SculptD

SculptD Smells like tech

Oddometer:
    I'm approaching 58 fast. Not riding so fast, but often.

Which brings up the question: How many of us are daily riders? Or, say 5 days a week? I don't even own a car, so that counts me in.
    WRC51 likes this.
  14. greggski

greggski The Great Misspeller

Oddometer:
    I'm only 52 but this year has sort of accelerated the greying of what hair I have. Started riding when I was 10 on an Xr100 and haven't stopped. I have downsized my toys to a 2015 Vstrom650, 2005 Klr650, 2000Kawasaki Concours, 1974 R90/6, 1970 R75/5, 2 1969 Honda Ct90s, which all get ridden and mantained. I think the engagement.of wrenching problem solving and riding keeps you young!
    ishmac and WRC51 like this.
  15. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from the first ride on my G/S since last October, I usually tax it in April after a winter lay up but didn't bother this year as I couldn't go far on it. The first few miles were a little frustrating as it was running like crap but after around twenty it had cleared and was running a lot better, I'll take it out again after dinner.
  16. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was out breaking the stay-at-home orders on my G/S the last couple of weeks. 2000+ mile trip to Oregon. But still trying to keep safe distances and wearing my mask when needed
    [​IMG]
    (Photo courtesy of @NSFW)

First really LONG ride since last September.
    WRC51, Jodon and Uke like this.
  17. Cordless

Cordless Two Wheel Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only 63. First ride on my cousin’s Daihatsu. Didn’t know what changing gears was so I went as fast as first gear would take me. That started a lifetime of bikelove.

Favorite recent story was a dash up Sandia Peak outside Albuquerque NM on my GS. I came upon a group of riders on their sport bikes. New riders they seemed as they sped up dramatically on the rare straight stretches and slowed piteously on the many curves. I passed those annoying riders on a curve and rode to the top. As I was removing my helmet they rode past me a few minutes later. I distinctly heard on of the kids yell, “it’s an OLD guy.” Poor foolish children.
  18. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm retired now and still ride daily. Grew up on L.I.N.Y. and rode to work daily until winter then hit or miss (weather). Moved down here in June 1980 and rode pretty much 7 days a week. Weekends in nice weather only, to work did not matter. Now I get in ride time either early or after dark this time of year. (heat/storms)
    SculptD likes this.
  19. 190e

190e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 65 and have commuted daily on the bike summer and winter for many years. A few weeks ago I retired. Now you would think I'd have all the time in the world to ride but what with looking after the grand kids and the honey do list, I'm riding less miles than when I was working. I need a new strategy - ride in the summer and honey do lists in the winter.
  20. 100RT

100RT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only 63. First ride on my cousin’s Daihatsu.

Thats a word I totally forgot! WOW!