Still riding?.. Definitely!

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Jim Day, Jun 3, 2020.

1. SculptD

SculptD Smells like tech

Oddometer:
    I have a friend who has always tried to live by the daily motto: Gulag/Spa. He freely gives himself over to whatever grubby work is required in the gulag, but only for half a day. The rest is Spa. His idea is that if one approaches it like this on a daily level, one doesn't get burned out. If you say it's gulag for 6 months, then spa...it doesn't work as well. I buy it.

(I assume it's pretty obvious that he was self employed, and now retired...)
    190e, Uke and Jim Day like this.
  2. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    image%3A9976.jpg Did my first ride since January../5 fell on my leg in the shop, hemotoma, surgery, recovery, Covad slowdown...and finally last Sunday safely on the G/S for a great ride up Mt Hamilton (east of San Jose with the observatories on top), with a stop at the Junction (just opened after 3 months), the Calavaras road (lots of curves) and finally home. Almost 200 miles ..then home, shower, and woke up 5 hours later..

almost 71 and need to work up to 5-600 mile days again..ouch.

This is what happens when an old fart forgets to fully deploy the retractable side stand on a Slash 5. You let go and gravity pushes it right over on your left calf while you're pinned to the tire balancer. Ouch comes to mind
    spo123, Bigger Al, Uke and 4 others like this.
  3. SculptD

SculptD Smells like tech

Oddometer:
    Whoa! Take care man. That’s one hell of a 6 months right there. Glad to hear about the progress!

PS: Maybe that post belongs in CS&M: Cut, Sew & Mend.
  4. Cordless

Cordless Two Wheel Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Judging from that old scar not your first 8 seconds in the rodeo.
  5. Beemerguru

Oddometer:
    Both knees done 5 years and 40k miles ago
    fxray likes this.
  6. Jodon

Jodon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Daily rider for past 8 years or so, sold off my last car 5 years ago after I realized I mostly drove it to the car wash once a month.
    Just picked up a third bike though (R75/6, R1100RT and now an R1100R).
    I'm apparently a Spring chicken at 51, hope I'm still riding at 74 and 82, mad respect to you OGs still in the saddle.
    Disston likes this.
  7. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, it belongs to this bloke
    waving parts man.JPG
  8. dcoop

dcoop Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I started riding at 63 when the doc said I had a touch of prostate cancer. At 68, upon leaving passport control in Uzbekistan, the nice you man told me in broken English, "You be careful. It is very, very dangerous, and you are a very old man." He was right, I tore my rotator cuff on the Pamir Highway a few days later. The next year, I broke my ankle in the middle of Kyrgyzstan. Sold that G850GS before flying home. Anyway, 73 now, be 74 soon. Still rebuilding my 1980 R80/7 and hope to be done in a few weeks. In the meantime, I've been limited to my Vespas for getting wind in my face.
    fxray, Bigger Al, Carbyhead and 11 others like this.
  9. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    That's a line worthy of a sig line or at least a quote.
    Beemerguru and WRC51 like this.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    In a semi-related way? I started riding "in" 63, was actually 1963, that is. :lol2 My left knee is now semi-happy after getting a 3 months, covid delayed 4th cortisone shot. meanwhile i hope to make it through the summer/fall seasons of so-called gulag time when we work a lot. maybe this winter I get yet another joint replacement?
    That's one nasty knee pic above... Hope all is well now.:nod
    My Vespa has been very lonely of recent! They are a great machine to get some wind in your face and worthy of senior riders attention as not only a hoot to ride, but very easy to handle on foot.
    dcoop and WRC51 like this.
  11. Garbln

Garbln Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    75 here have been riding my 73 Triumph Tiger lately, but pulled out the 70 Guzzi this morning for a bit of a ride. I think I'll get the 76 R90 out this afternoon and ride it for the next few weeks because I want to take a 600 Mi. weekend ride with a couple friends in Aug with it. Two of the guy's I'm riding with are older than me, one is only a few months older and the other is 85. We do OK, I think we may drink a some beer too. We were planning to ride to Sturgis SD this year with a couple 56 Harley K's (real men kick start there bikes) as a statement, but things just didn't work out for that, maybe next year.
    Ron50, WRC51 and Texer like this.
  12. Ronkan

Ronkan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a little late to this party, but at 77 I might be a little slower than I was yesterday. Bought my first Beemer, an R27 in 1966. Have owned many other BMW's since, always one at a time and never a new bike. Decided to quit riding a few times in the last ten years - quit while I'm ahead - but always came back after a year or two. My newest old bike is a '75 R90/6 bought a month ago. Great machine beautifully brought back to life by a sweet guy named Dave Fish. Love Airheads. I think I will hold on to this one until I ride off into the sunset.
    Beemerguru, Ron50, Anatoli and 5 others like this.
  13. Beemerguru

Oddometer:

Did a 450 mile day ride up and over 3 Sierra Passes last month and last weekend, a 400 mile ride to an Airhead Tech Day over in Gardnerville, NV. Could feel the tension just melt away about 75 miles into each ride. Riding in the Sierras (with no smoke) is a LOT better than a shrink..Happy days again
    fxray, spo123, Ron50 and 4 others like this.
  14. Anatoli

Anatoli Pale rider

Oddometer:
    I would love to see a few pictures of you and your bike. Sounds like a classic pair.
  15. dazz

dazz 1947 Famous James.

Oddometer:
    I just bought a new dirt bike for Spring. 2021 Honda CRF 250F. 35 inch seat height. I'm shorter now. 72 in Spring with any luck!
    Ron50 and Jim Day like this.
  16. Jodon

Jodon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Except mine, but then again it's my office.
    Maybe I should start prescribing; "Do 300 miles and call me in the morning."
    2WhldZEN, squish, Ron50 and 2 others like this.
  17. Sheik Yerbootie

Sheik Yerbootie n00b Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Sheik Yerbootie

Sheik Yerbootie n00b Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Englehart Ont to Huntsville  1989 001.jpg 77years old in three months. 2015 KTM Duke 390 still running good. (Even though it is the most uncomfortable long distance bike I have ever owned.) I rode over 900 klicks- first weekend in September- took days to get over that. (Ladyfriend sez: "Don't ask me to ride with you any more- I am afraid of your bike!" She lies- the helmet messes up her hair.)
    Uke, squish, Ron50 and 2 others like this.
  19. Ronkan

Ronkan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    At the request of Anatoli, here is a picture of me and my bike. Not a great picture, but the photographer did the best she could with what she had to work with.

R90 Ron For ADV.jpg
    I have a set of Krauser panniers and a Giant Loop tank bag that were not mounted when the picture was taken. And I don't practice ATGATT when only posing for a photo op.
    Uke, alpina, Ron50 and 3 others like this.
  20. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fun thread! I'd always been a 'fun' rider until last winter when things conspired to make me a commuter until COVID ended my work situation.

I'd taken a coast to coast trip in my fun cage in November and December and figured out that the thermostat in said same cage was kaput, stuck open. The said same trip left me penniless over the winter so I couldn't scare up the $300ish for the parts I needed to fix it. Then we had an especially dry winter (which is now manifesting in an insane fire season) and I was able to ride my 45 mpg bike nearly every day, only driving my 11 mpg truck a few times. I took to doing the grocery shopping on the bike:

[​IMG]

I also was courting a gal 200 miles away and so did a bunch of riding to her place over some awesome roads.

All that said, I now live in the same town as her and it's a bit much to ATGATT to go 2 miles to her house. And I'm working from home exclusively now, so no commuting.

But I do have a whole new region to explore. Got to do a bit more of that.