Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Well, I've been wandering Indiana for several years now and I documented my travels in my earlier thread "Wandering in Indiana." Photobucket has decided to hold all my images on its site until I pay $400 a year to be allowed to embed them, so I abandoned my thread and Photobucket.

Temps low enough I needed a fleece under my jacket and almost no humidity. Rare day in central Indiana in July. Not a cloud in the sky--no way I was staying home.

I decided to ride to Paris.

No, not that one, but Paris, IN. My first stop was in North Salem when I spotted this old gal for sale.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad was a Rambler guy and so is one of my former students.

I was getting ready to turn right at stop and continue on west when I saw this place. I have a fondness for old buildings being reclaimed by nature, so I went straight to get a picture.
    [​IMG]

I had noticed three figures on the porch next to where I parked, but hadn't really paid attention them. I was a bit startled when a nice young woman came around the front of my bike (I was taking a picture and had my helmet on) and she asked what I was doing.

She hastened to assure me that she was just curious and said, "We were getting ready to wave to you when you suddenly went straight and stopped." The "we" turned out to Lydia, her son and her mother.

We had a nice conversation about riding, photography and our teaching careers. She is an interpreter for the deaf in Bloomington.

Half a block later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old barns dot the Indiana landscape and there are a lot of them that I can't get photos of due to road conditions (too much traffic, no shoulder, etc.) but I stop when I can. These two are west of IN-41 somewhere. My cell provider doesn't have much coverage in the western part of the state, so no GPS to call on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Just a couple of artsy shots of a prototypical round barn.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By this time I was lost. I could see an electric generating plant off to the west and I thought perhaps there would be civilization somewhere near it, so I used it as a reference point. Gas was getting low and I hadn't seen anything but empty farm land for about 30 minutes. (I was having a great time!)

Finally found gas in Cayuga, IN.

Three nice women in the gas station tried to help me figure out what road to take to get to Paris, but I decided to hit Danville, IL instead. First time I've crossed state borders while riding, so there ya' go. World traveling next. (Probably not, but I can dream.)

Paris will have to wait. (I was worried I wouldn't want to go back to the farm after seeing the lights of Paree.)

I stopped several times to see if I could buy a map, but no place I stopped had one. Looks like I might want to pick up an atlas to keep in the top case.

Last photos on this trip.

An old F-80.
    [​IMG]

I think this one is an Interurban station in Veedersburg, IN, but it might just be an old railroad depot.
    [​IMG]

Got back home at about 4:30 after a great time on the bike.
  2. Turbodog1000

Turbodog1000 Vintage Rider

Oddometer:
    I think that plane is the two seat trainer for the F80 Shooting Star. This model is called the T33. Boeing is still using a T33 as a photo Chase plane, tail number N416X, which is amazing since the last one was built in 1959.

Glad to see you back riding and taking great Indiana photos. Keep posting the pics and ride safe.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
  3. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Nice photos, especially the fence post w. round barn. Very creative. When the "big picture" doesn't work for me, I start looking under my nose and often find something very interesting like that.

I'm heading out from West Virginia to Scott AFB IL for the retirement of a friend in a few weeks, and plan on taking 2 days out on Rt 40 to take photos. Hoping to find old farms and the such in OH, IN, and IL.

4. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great photos!
    radianrider likes this.
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I wondered if it might be a T33. I saw a picture of one with two aboard, but wasn't sure which this one was.

Thanks for the information.
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Do you have a thread running of your rides? I'd love to follow along if you do.

Totally agree with your "find the picture" method! I should have hopped off the bike for more options, but I was really getting concerned about finding gas at that point.
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    One last shot I had intended to include in my first post.
    [​IMG]
  8. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Re-subbed. Glad you have things worked out. I will say, however, I use imgur.com for posting most of my photos now. seems to be working well enough. and no $400/year fees.
  9. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I'm using Imgur now as well. Falconpunch01 suggested it, so I'll give it a try. Already works better than Photobucket. Fewer popup ads. Should have switched long ago.
    Falconpunch01 likes this.
  10. Falconpunch01

Falconpunch01 BraAaAppp

Oddometer:
    New Thread Woo. I'm not first :(
  11. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Thanks - No single thread, but I do have a website with lots of my ride reports: www.RidingWV.com

I also have lots of photos on the Family Page and Europe Page of my family website: www.MichaelElyard.com

Hope you find something interesting.

Safe travels.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the links. I'll spend a lot of time with them when winter hits. Great way to while away cold nights reading about your rides.
    pnoman likes this.
  13. bbrz

bbrz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you were in Cayuga you missed one of the finest roads in western Indiana, RT.234. From Cayuga that takes you east around Shades State Park. You can take 47 up to Crawfordsville or continue on to Jamestown. I won't spoil it for you but it is not as it looks on the map. A real jewel that I found 2 weeks ago when Wandering in Indiana.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Not adverse to making another run out there to give it a shot!
    jdfog2 likes this.
  15. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - Good to see you back with photos. Dig the Rambler, BTW. All good shots though. Sucks about your image hosting. I can see why you started a new thread. Tons of stuff to reload and edit in a continuing thread when all of a sudden the images are gone. :nod
    radianrider and jdfog2 like this.
  16. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    234...is indeed a nice road for "moto ing"... not a word but it's fun to murder language on an educator's thread every once in a while
  17. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hoping to have the Strom in safe operating order by Saturday. May be some very nice riding weather.

(Wheel bearings and valve stem need replaced)
  18. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Wish I could join you. Son and his girl are coming down from school for the weekend.

Will get the SV out in a few minutes. Have to get some saddle time this week as I will be on an Alaskan cruise for a bit after Sunday.

A timely "murdered" word can be the difference between a decent story and a great story.
    :D
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Labor Day has come and gone, but fear not, gentle readers! I wandered a bit--but only a bit--and took a few photos, but only a few. Still, better than not at all!

First, a re-introduction to your host.
    [​IMG]

Oh, sure---the face is largely obscured by the helmet and glasses, but I come off way cooler like this. Less of the gray beard, more of the I'm-18-in-my-mind attitude.

I hit up North Salem, which was hosting Old Fashioned Days, but decided not to grab any shots because most places were charging for parking. Nah. On to Heritage Lake located a bit south and west of North Salem. Weather was perfect and the riding was excellent. Not a shot of riding, but indicative of the conditions.
    [​IMG]

Met the rider of this big fella' and chatted a bit. Nice guy and I enjoyed the conversation. Bike isn't really my style- but it sure makes a statement.
    [​IMG]

Artsy boat shot.
    [​IMG]

Headed home pick up the spouse to go out to dinner, but had to stop and get a shot of this old gentleman.
    [​IMG]

All for now. Have to head out the door to educate young minds.
  20. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Out riding at moment. Stopped for water. Hot out here today. Not Usual for Sept. Feels like July.

A few pictures from my friend's new shop for vintage bikes later.
    bbrz likes this.