Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Nice! You win the bike battle, but I'm going to have to go with the Galaxie 500 for the car. Only had a 302, but could hold 6 with the drop top. Had a lot of fun wandering to Ludington or Traverse City to the beaches. No rust or damage until my sister learned to drive and took out the side of it during an ice storm.
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I drove that Olds nearly 50,000 miles and all it ever needed was a minor radiator repair. It had an electric bench seat up front that had as many moves as a hospital bed. Power windows. A trunk more than big enough for the mob. If it were around today that Olds would be classified as a Tiny House. But Lordy that 455 guzzled gas like an entire AA meeting fell off the wagon.

Passenger backrest and rider’s backrest were added to the King this week. I think I’m going to love the adjustable rider’s backrest. Rain and cold all week so I only got to ride on Monday (before the backrest was added). I have a luggage rack to pick up on Monday. My youngest graduates from college on Saturday, then it’s a short business trip to Toronto before I may be able to make it down to Indy for a few days.
    radianrider and jdfog2 like this.
  3. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "But Lordy that 455 guzzled gas like an entire AA meeting fell off the wagon. "
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    He has a way words, doesn't he? :lol3
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Normally don't ride to work as I use the time to think about what I have to get done that day, but I didn't have a lot on yesterday, so why not?

It was a bit chilly, but good gear makes riding in those conditions a lot of fun. The bike performed brilliantly and I had a GREAT time!

Only took one shot. This is the entrance to the Franklin College football field. One of the more successful DIII schools in the nation for the last several years. The current radio announcer for the Colts played here and was one of my students.
    [​IMG]
    B10Dave and JB2 like this.
  6. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Cool shot. Do you teach Communications? Sad to see Bob Lamey lose his job last year or so - I always enjoyed listening to him when I was a kid.

I've been riding to work this week. My gear is good down to about 39F. Below that and I'm good for only short mileage until I find better gloves. Harley's don't have hand guards to block the wind!
  7. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed he does.
  8. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a pair quite similar to these. Mine are very similar First Gear brand but they don't have the TPG designation. I think I bought mine before they started their TPG series. So they added TPG markings and $30 to the price probably. Nonetheless, I think these would help and they are on closeout (if they have your size). If they don't have your size google them. I bet other places have them on closeout too.

You might also go buy a mucho grande bag of those disposable handwarmers and keep a few in your jacket or in a saddlebag. Stick one inside each glove on the top of your hand - toasty!

I have ridden a few times to work lately from Putnam County to downtown Indy. It's NOT warm at all in the morning :)

Good luck!
    JD
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Hey, I learned all my finest English from Mrs. Schaefer at Avon High School in 1982-83. I still quote her on occasion.

I think Monday morning was 39F and yesterday and today were barely above 40F. I have a pair of non-insulated leather riding gloves that make an amazing difference for their minimal thickness. I don't even use those hand warmer things skiing.

The Hog is rapidly approaching its 1,000 mile service. It will be at 850 after my commute tomorrow. Even I still can't believe I'm riding an 800 lbs black Harley So not me, but it is just a motorcycle. A BIG motorcycle, but a motorcycle nonetheless.

The adjustable rider backrest is so sweet. Damned thing might be worth twice what I paid for it.

The one thing I have struggled with most is finding neutral. I have a bit of an adjustment period to go through finding neutral consistently on any bike, but I swear for the first few days finding neutral on the King was harder than finding a clitoris on a wedding night. And its important to find neutral on Harley touring bike because the clutch is hydraulic with a fairly heavy pull. You do not want to be sitting at a long light holding the clutch in the entire time. Speaking of which, the levers are sized for NBA basketball player hands - way out there and way bigger than on a metric bike. With levers like that one should fear the woman who rides a Road King. Fortunately, it seems that neutral is easier to find in the last 200 miles... so much so that I'm becoming impressed with the gearbox. It's not quite as tight as the Strom was but with the heel shifter removed and the right amount of clutch at the right time - she's downright smooth. She's getting 42 mpg. I spend a lot of time in 5th gear at 55mph and it is ridiculously smooth at that speed.

[Joke I tell my wife: What's the difference between a golf ball and a clitoris? A man will spend a full five minutes allowed by the rules to look for a golf ball.]
  10. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I said in my previous post...I have a pair similar to these...or so.ethi g like that. I thought I pasted in a link to the "similar to these" (gloves) I was talking about. But I guess not.

(I am NOT the communications major or Prof.) ;)

So anyway...if you do a Google search on First Gear gauntlets gloves I think you'll find what I was talking about...or "aboot" since it sounds like you're in Canada...haha
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I will look for the First Gear gauntlet gloves. Both of my pairs of gloves are both non-gauntlet which sucks when it rains.

I'm not in Canada - but not far away either (Minneapolis). I laugh every time I hear a Canadian say "aboot". I currently manage a project with a significant portion being done in Toronto - hence the travel there. Frankly, I am amazed they let me into their country because I swear every time I go to Canada the number of a$$holes goes up 100%. To be clear, I don't know who the other a$$hole is but I assume somewhere in the population of 37M there is at least one. The people are so nice, gracious, and polite even compared to Minnesota Niceness. On my last trip there I stood in line at a Tim Hortons and the closest thing I've ever seen here in the US is people standing in line at a bank. Pick-up truck drivers there don't bully you around on the road like they do here - they even allow you to merge ahead of them! A young woman at the accessories counter at the Harley dealership near my destination there said sweetly to me, "I've never been to the States", and all I could think in my head was "Oh God, she doesn't know how rude, egotistical, and self-centered we are." What I said out loud was, "You have a wonderful country and I look forward to spending more time in it."
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I picked up pair of gauntlet gloves (off brand of some sort) and I have been very glad to have them this wet, cold spring.

Commencement is Saturday and I expect my riding time to increase rather dramatically as soon as I get my final grades in. I can't wait! (Like waiting for Christmas when I was a kid!)
    jdfog2 likes this.
  13. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode to work again today. Maybe a mistake in both directions but I enjoyed MOST of the ride.
    This morning the fog was supposed to be bad. I woke up and no fog in Greendingle (Greencastle) so off I go.
    I get about 2 miles eastbound of Highway 231 on US 40 toward Indy and the fog starts...
    I rode about 25 or 30 miles at 40 - 45 mph (and slower a few times) with my 4 way flashers going the entire time.
    Once I got close to SR 267 in Plainfield it was clear enough to feel safe - and the traffic was a lot slower.

I had a grand plan to leave work by 3:30 - my boss stops by my office at ...3:55 and says - "um, you do know there's a storm on the way, you should have left already." Major YIKES! Sufferin' Succotash!

I make it to the old Plainfield High School on whatever (Stafford Rd. maybe) that is and the downpour commences. It was so bad that I could see so I pull over on a side street and find the best shelter I can in front of a large shade tree hanging over the street in someone's front yard. THEN I put my rain pants on. :jack

I jump back on as the rain slows to a normal downpour and skeedaddle around the Boys School and hit 40 westbound in front of McDonald's.

Make it most of the way back to Greencastle before hitting two more quick hitter little showers.
    It was fun - but not TOO much fun.

Found out the tech wash waterproofing of my 5 year old First Gear Jacket probably needed a refresh this spring - or last spring - or spring of 17 maybe ... it didn't leak - it absorbed and soaked...

Good news is that when I arrived home I had a brand spanking new (closeout - I am kinda cheap) First Gear TPG Ranier jacket that the UPS truck musta dropped off. Those are on sale / closeout - at jp cycle - I read about it here on ADVRIDER.
    (I copied this from whatever thread that was in case you're in the market)

If anyone is in need. Just snagged one for $150 ($350 off!)

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/166-7732/firstgear-men-s-tpg-rainier-black-silver-jacket
    UNQUOTE

$150 is a lot of mulah - but it's normally a $499 jacket (In my estimation it was probably a $299 value compared to other gear I've had). It IS very nice - very nice. But $500 ?? Of course nothing "ADV Cool" is too good for the Yuppies at any price - "we deserve it!" Ha!

Well I am starting to pick on the youngsters so I better end this one for now.
    Be careful fellas !

Jay
    radianrider likes this.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I think I told RadianRider that I went skiing for the very first time as a kid in Greencastle... because, you know, the mountains are big there. I was a bust as a skier at that age and it was the "mountains" of Greencastle that saved me from the ne'er do well life of a ski bum.

I know it's an improbable tale but the proof is in this link.

http://www.memorialsolutions.com/sitemaker/sites/Hopkin1/memsol.cgi?user_id=317012

I have been up and down US40 between Plainfield and Brazil more times than all my fingers and toes multiplied by all my fingers and toes. The Avon I grew up in is gone so that stretch of US40 is "home" to me whenever I return to Indiana. It's the one place that makes me seriously question why I left Indiana in the first place... but that's water under the bridge over Big Walnut Creek.

I find that occasionally riding in the rain is cathartic... as long as the temperature is above 70F. I'm not sure there's anything redeeming about riding in a cold, chilling rain. But as long as I am warm enough, riding in the rain reminds me that I it is my choice to accept it and be happy. Some of my gear needs a new treatment of waterproofing and it's something I never seem to get around to doing. So if it is a real rain... I'm going to be wet somewhere. But there are worse things in life. Tom Magliozzi, the late co-host of NPR's CarTalk, used to say: "If you have a problem that can be solved with money - you don't really have a problem". Cancer. There's a real problem. A bit of rain on a motorcycle ride... an inconvenience, maybe some discomfort for awhile, but a problem - no. Just something to persevere through for awhile.
    jdfog2 and radianrider like this.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I should be grading...be to paraphrase John Muir...the Triumph calls and I must go!

First full mesh day of the season. Hot, very suddenly.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  16. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love this reply. Ah yes. US 40...the Old National Trail...I think she's underrated.

Spent my early years in a house on 40 at the Putnam/Clay county line. Reelsville was our address, we had a Brazil area code and phone number, and the Big Walnut Baptist Church was home away from home) and still have family living there.

Cancer is indeed a problem. Lost two loved ones (including my Mom, most loved of all) in the past 6 years and have 3 other family members battling that cursed disease (Dad, himself wife, and my younger sister)

My best friend / brother in law (sister in laws hubby) also lost his parents to cancer in the past 10 years)

Cancer sucks!

Make sure you live life with gusto and embrace those you love. You just never know.

One thing I DO know. God has a plan we don't understand but I trust him...don't really have much choice

I "caged" it to work today because they talked of pop up storms late today. One day a week of stormy riding is good for me. Rain I can take. Sideways rain ...getting pelted with small flying debris, getting the dickens scared out of me by close lightening and loud thunder...plus some ponding on the road thrown in...I need to ration my enjoyment of all of that lol
  17. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John Muir. .. I have a big desire to go hike and camp the John Muir Wilderness area in Yosemite...I don't have the knees or back for it though...I live photos and videos of that place. Not sure it isn't the prettiest place in the country.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I have been to most of the National Parks out west. Yosemite is impressive but my spiritual connection was in Sequoia NP with the giant trees. We camped a week near Grant’s Grove when the kids were young. Went from there to Yosemite. YNP gets a ton of people.

Yellowstone is pretty epic too. Been there twice along with Grand Tetons NP.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    My family settled in Poland, Clay county, about 1830. They migrated from Moore County NC. Most of them reside in the Poland Chapel cemetery now although the earliest settlers are in a family cemetery currently on private land just west of the chapel/cemetery. My great grandfather moved to Brazil in the late 1800's. My GG Grandfather is the fellow in the back who looks like a young Teddy Roosevelt. I believe this picture would have been taken in Poland or Centerpoint somewhere around 1890. When you are at the Poland chapel cemetery you'll find some large granite headstones with Eli and Catherine XXXXX - they are the old couple sitting in the center of the photograph. It was his father and mother who drove a wagon from North Carolina to Clay county in 1830.

Cagle family.jpg

Some of those in the picture would be the side of the family who operated the mill that the reservoir is now named after.

I drove the car to work yesterday too. Not so much for the weather although it was cloudy and cool. I dropped off "Black Beauty" (as my friend calls the Harley) at the dealership later in the day for its 1,000 mile service. Unfortunately that makes the last 600 miles fairly expensive on a per mile basis but it's got two months remaining of the factory warranty and I don't want there to be an excuses for HD not to cover any repairs between now and then as I have a high mileage trip planned.

My ride home from Indiana last summer was an epic rain/hail ride. In 83/84 I attended the University of Evansville as a freshman. Occasionally I would ride the RD350 from Avon to Evansville and back... mostly to see a girlfriend who was a senior in high school. On one trip I stopped on the south side of Terre Haute on US41 when the western sky turned black. I put on my rain gear and continued south. It was getting late on a Sunday afternoon. The storm turned things dark early. It rained so hard that what few cars there were pulled off on the shoulder. There are no overpasses on US41 until Vincennes so there no point in me pulling over. All I could do was ride in 2nd or 3rd gear and keep it upright. It was a long way to Vincennes. By the time I got to Evansville late that night the storm was ending and it was just a normal rain. I don't recall anything other than my hands being wet. I had purchased a real high quality rain suit that earned its price over and over again.

Those were the days long before cell phones, weather apps, and radar accessibility. I don't think I'd willingly ride through such a storm now. Smartphones make it so easy to plan around inconvenient and potentially unsafe weather. There's no shame in driving a car when poor weather is on the horizon... nor shame when you just don't feel 100% for whatever reason. I skipped riding a beautiful day last week because I worked too many hours and just didn't get enough sleep the night before. I hate not to ride on a beautiful day but it is better to be safe. My motto is: Ride Safe to Live. Live Safe to Ride.
    yamalama and jdfog2 like this.
  20. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your Poland story is awesome - great pic too! I am now wondering if we're related somehow (paddle faster, I hear banjo music)
    Seriously, we probably aren't related BUT that is my part of the country for sure. We actually kept cows on a small "farmette" about a mile from the dam and 2 miles (maybe less) from downtown Poland. In laws place that they bought and moved too when we retired "Back home again in Indiana" after my Air Force career. The father in law passed a couple of years ago so that ended that.

I had the rare "opportunity" to work this morning so I commuted on the VStrom. It was stunning on the way to Col. Lilly's place. I was "lean into 'er mate" on the way back (VStroms kinda have some wind issues even WITHOUT wind.) But it was still lovely - just kinda loud wind noise wise

The Graduation Open House season is upon us so I must go shower and get ready to "make the rounds in a small town" (or county)"

I might put in a shameless plug here - we have 1 male German Shepherd puppy for sale - about 10 weeks old - and we have EIGHT from another litter that will be 8 weeks old the 7th of June - they're cute, well bred, and highly trainable. Our son trains K9s and companion animals - (in case either of you were looking - haha)