Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My family married heavily into the Neese family back in the 1800’s so if you’re from them we would be related. Also married into Campbell’s from centerpoint/Brazil.

My youngest son graduated today from a UoM school out on the prairie so we’re out there all weekend. It’s why I dropped the RK off before I left. The weather is crap and I knew I wouldn’t be riding for a few days

We have a six year old Bernese Mountain Dog. He’s a sweetheart and we’ll go dogless after he passes so we can travel more freely.
  2. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Great to see the connections.

Jdfog2, can't believe you caged it on the basis of a few minor setbacks :lol3
    Just imagine how much Disney would have charged for that thrill a minute ride!

And, '72? This was probably playing on the radios you weren't listening to as you rode.
  3. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    That ride was far from the craziest thing I ever did for that GF. We had a great relationship for five years that ended in heartbreak for both of us. It was the start of a grand detour in my life that partly explains why I am not in Indiana.

Funny you post that song. I am on a current kick of listening to anything but 70’s or 80’s songs. Some artists, such as Billy Joel and Fleetwood Mac, I’ve written off for the rest of my life. I just don’t want to hear another play of any of their songs. Done. Over. So my sat radio is frequently tuned these days to Blues, Soul, and really old country. I went through the bluegrass revival in the 2000’s so I skip that for the most part - but I do love me some Ralph Stanley clawhammer banjo classics still. I miss the great Mo-town hits the most. A lot of this music was before my time so it is, to one degree or another, new to me or at least not worn out.

So with that in mind, the RK doesn’t have tunes. But if you stand next to it... stare into its deep black and shiny chrome... and truly admire the classic design and simplicity... you’ll hear the unmistakable track of an Elvis song playing. I didn’t know that came standard with the Road King - but, swear to God, I ain’t lyin’. I’ve heard more Elvis songs in the last three weeks since I bought the King than in my entire life. And it isn’t fat and doped up 70’s Elvis - it’s pure 50’s and 60’s classic Elvis. Amazing.
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    You need to spend some time talking to JB2. He is SERIOUS about his music collection--and most of the artists he likes fit the mold you are describing.

Sorry, jdfog2, we are dogless now for the same reason '72 will be. We had a great little Weimaraner while the kids were little, but now that they are gone we like the freedom to travel without boarding the dog.

Looks like the first few days of summer break are going to be wet- so very little riding to be had.

Thinking about buying a fender extender to the Scrambler. The short fender looks good, but it seems to me that it puts a lot a reliance on the radiator guard to protect the engine. Read that some have had problems with muddy conditions resulting in clogging the guard with overheating a possibility.
  5. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I was in the process of buying a fender extender for the Strom when I sold it. The factory fender looked long enough but in wet weather it threw water quite high. I figured an extender was cheaper than a radiator puncture. Radiator guards were ridiculously priced so I was considering zip tying on a metal screen from the hardware store for a cheap solution.

Music isn’t a big thing with me, but when I turn on the radio the last thing I want to hear is the millionth play of a worn out hit.

I mostly listen to podcasts these days. I’m a pretty big fan of Adventure Rider Radio and even my wife likes the touring episodes. She nearly died laughing Friday listening to a portion of the latest episode.

I’m also big on First Things First - the podcast version of the Chris Carter sports tv show on FS1. I learn a lot about pro sports, hear some great philosophical conversations by Chris, and enjoy the statistical analysis by Nick. Great show. It is largely responsible for my renewed interest in the NBA.
  6. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Radiolab
    Motorcycles and Misfits keep me occupied on my commute
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I'll have to try Motorcycles and Misfits. I listen to Motorcycle Men but it is low brau and hit or miss on quality.
  8. radianrider

Oddometer:
    It was featured on Rides with Reedus. 300 episodes
  9. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Hey Joel - thanks for the nod. I can't remember the last time I listened to the radio. I'm with 72 Yamaha RD350. There just isn't anything good on the radio these days. In fact I'd be pretty confident in saying that nothing I listen to can be heard on the radio unless you're listening to a late night program like W.B. Walkers Old Soul Radio Show. Its easier to just put a CD in the changer and listen to what I want to hear. I can't find a groove with podcasts because I just don't want someone yammering about something that might distract my driving. You know where a song is going, you can sing along or choose to ignore it.

BTW, you have a knack for getting me to prove I'm letting the world pass me by... which I am fine with. Thanks, I sincerely appreciate that. Now, get off my lawn! :lol3
    jdfog2 likes this.
  10. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this may not be you fellas cup of tea but I kinda lost interest in music once George Strait went into semi retirement.

However... I get a kick out of listening to and watching vids of Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band. Some quirky genius going 9n there..
    JB2 likes this.
  11. radianrider

Oddometer:
    You guys just haven't found the right K-Pop group to listen to! :lol3

Not a bad idea to let the world pass you by right now. Whole lot of ugly. And Kardashians for some reason.

Weather supposed to warm up a bit in a couple of days. Perspective is a funny thing. A few weeks ago 60 was like the tropics. Today it's too cold. Ha!
    JB2 likes this.
  12. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Hammer meets nail. The more the world seems to be taking off the easier it is to disconnect. :wave

I'm itchin' to get the Scrambler out again and the weather looks to be in our favor over the Memorial Day weekend. I'm hitting the backroads.

Speakin' of not fitting in with the direction the world is going...

There's a song for everything if flip over enough stones.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I'd love to be hitting the backroads on the bike this weekend, but have a trip--without the bike--to KY with some friends.

I'll try to get some riding in before the weekend. Final grades due tomorrow at noon.
    jdfog2 and JB2 like this.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    IheartRadio/ClearChannel ruined radio and could not go bankrupt fast enough in my book. I hope they go bankrupt again and again until there is nothing left but small, local stations. IHR deserves to go broke trying to regionalize and nationalize music.

I’ve had sat radio since 2005 and thoroughly enjoy choosing exactly what I want to hear, including play by play sports. I don’t mind paying to have a choice. It’s not like cable/sat tv where you’re paying for crap tv shows.

Some of the best music out there is in the less popular genres. My poster child song for sat radio is “Gringo Honeymoon” by Robert Earl Keene. Check it out on YT. Heard it on an alt country sat station when it first came out in 2007 and still love it and think it is a great song, but one you would never hear on commercial radio.

Sat radio is also necessary for remote areas. A lot of places west of the Mississippi have squat for radio coverage. And by the fewest of miles - I live west of the Mississippi and frequently head further west out onto the prairie.

I haven’t decided whether to add sat radio to the Harley yet. The HD system is kind of pricey, but possibly worth it. While I’m in cell range I can stream sat radio so I am considering that approach with noise canceling ear buds to kill the bass beat of the Milwaukee Eight engine underneath me. Have ANC headphones for my John Deere and those things are wonderful.

Our weekend was 40F and inches of cold rain. Sucked royally. Was nice today. Picked up Harley from its 1,000 mile service. Got in a quick 25 mile ride before I had to be home. Tomorrow is more cold rain.

Still have no clue if I am headed to Indy on Friday but it’s on the table.

If you have the time, punch in “1956ted” and watch his ride to Alaska series. Simple, well stabilized video, minimal dialogue, and scenery that just goes on and on.
  15. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have my daughter's wedding coming up next Saturday.
    Very happyfor her.
    Her hubby to be is probably too much like me but I guess that's how it goes lol

He rides a KLR. They're bringing it on their honeymoon...
    Sounds like me. Exactly.

I will be glad when this wedding stuff is finished so my wife can relax.
    I've worked my butt off plenty to get things ready ... the grooms dad and I (with other help frommtime to time) "rocked" the dirt floor of a 68 x40 tool shed / barn where the wedding dinner, dancing, etc. will take place. (Wedding will be outsidemright by barn)

Thinking of taking a solo trip like 1956ted myself. Have a free week off in July...don't think I'll make 'er to Alaska though :)

Maybe Wisconsin...with a flyrod and camping gear. Or maybe I'll just ride the whole time amd go to Denver, swing down to Colorado Springs and Pueblo, and take a diagonal through Central Oklahoma #Boomer Sooner! and then NW Arkansas, South Mo. and Southern Illinois. At 58 y/o not sure how many more opportunities I have to do something "epic" like that ... probably a few but one never knows.

Other possibilities... Down through Ol Kentucky and Eastern Tennessee (love it there!) and maybe back up through VA, West Va, amd across Southern OH.

Or, Wisconsin to the UP of Michigan and up to the one they call Gitchigumi...
    Heck. Lots of possibilities I guess.

God Bless you Friends

JD
    JB2 likes this.
  16. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really really liked this song JB2 !

I am not much on folksy music but I like this! Who is it please?
    It's kinda the folk version of "Old Hippie" by the Bellamy Brothers...(it's actually much better than that though it isn't nearly as famous.)

JD
    JB2 likes this.
  17. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's an old favorite of mine (if I figure out how to link it in). I USED to love music.
    Like I've said before - not so much anymore.

JB2 likes this.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I saw Dwight Yoakam the night he appeared on Johnny Carson the first time. Must have been in the 80’s. I own his Greatest Hits collection and there’s good music there.

SiriusXM has a Bakersfield channel that Dwight talks on a bit. Lots of Buck Owens and similar style songs.

With the crazy weather I have no clue what to do this summer. I have three weeks to go anywhere and Alaska is an option as is the Appalachians. I’ve been most places in the west and I’m not interested in cooking alive in the desert sun.

I don’t have to make a decision right away but these region wide rain storms are disconcerting as there is no way to escape them. We are going thru our second run of 36 straight hours of rain in less than seven days. Winds are heavy too.

And it’s snowing in WY, MT, ND, SD, CO thirty days from summer solstice! Crazy.
    JB2 and jdfog2 like this.
  19. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear ya on that region wide rain. I am a reformed Okie and was watching an OKC tv channel on the internet last night. They were showing storms in 200 or 250 mile wide bands running north to south and 15 to 20 miles deep with 5 or 6 mile gaps from eastern Oklahoma all the way back to the panhandle. Very scary when they are as powerful as they were.

I haven't ridden out west since my early 20s but I may never do it. Have a buddy that's an Ironbutt participant and he almost bought the farm two Ironbutt Rallies back (the big, once every two years 11 day rally)... heat exhaustion. Oddly enough he was near Tulsa when that occurred.

I might try to ride to OK in early fall but probably not Denver. At this stage its more likely I'd trailer my Strom out that far.

JD
    72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  20. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I've commandeered Joel's thread! Yikes. Sorry Joel. I'll try to cool it a bit.
    JB2 likes this.