Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. wetwider

wetwider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    `Enjoying your photos, sensibilities, Indiana, the works. Really like the barns & architecture. Thanks! Good looking Scrambler too ~ excellent choice!

I'm only on page 4, looking forward to more. You're concerned on this page about reliability and no handy dealer. To perhaps put your mind at rest some, I own an `03 T100 with 33,000 miles on it and NO PROBLEMS except a busted speedo cable because I forgot it when lubing the rest. `Have had NO need of a Triumph dealer, so I hope you won't fret not having one near. I don't either. I've had good luck with small independent shops putting new tires on. The routine upkeep I've done m'self and enjoyed it, but then the valves have stayed within spec ;-).

My bike hasn't got the electronics yours has and it's an oil-head, so a bit simpler. I think you'll be fine too.

Most of we 'new' classic Triumph riders got the progressive fork springs & better rear shocks pretty early-on. Big difference! Also, I don't know what if any changes to frame geometry Triumph may have made from my bike to yours, but to improve turn-in & flickability, I lowered my tripple-clamps on the fork tubes 5/8" - seems a lot but I love the results! It in effect steepens the fork angle, does lower the front of the frame a bit, but that's not been a problem even deep cornering ~ though I generally stay on roads, with a few decent two-tracks now & then so ground clearance has not been issue. It seems to have had no effect on straight-line stability at speed.

Happy trails!
  2. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    @jdfog2 - That's Chris Knight. His collection of releases are about 10 deep or more. I think I've got 7 of his CD's. He's an Iowa farm boy and probably one of the best songwriters you've never heard of. I'm pretty sure Joel is not concerned about his thread being high-jacked. Considering the non-stop rain we've had I notice there aren't too many Indiana riders posting ride pics. It's nice to have someone else's garage to hang out in while we wait for the sunshine. BTW, at 58 you need to put some big trips on your horizon especially since you mentioned several great loops. I'm almost 61 and headed for the U.P. and SD, WY, MT on two separate trips this year. You don't get too old to ride, you get old cause you quit riding.

Oh, and thumbs-up on your new SIL. Can't go wrong with a KLR rider. :D
  3. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Can tell the weather isn't good. We all appear ready to join JB2 and kick the kids off the lawn. My kids are always talking about being "hangry" when they don't get fed on schedule. Looks like we all might be "rangry." Lack of riding=bad attitude.

I always appreciate good conversation. :lol3

Might get an hour or so of riding tonight before the next round of storms hit us.

Best wishes, jdfog2, to your young'un for a long and happy marriage. May they find joy and happiness in each other!
    JB2 and jdfog2 like this.
  4. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got to ride the Strominator a few hours this late afternoon / evening. It ended up being VERY nice. I rode a country road (a nice, sweeping, hilly paved one) that had a lot of shade but was bright enough to see well on. Just got back - it's humid enough here that I soaked my tshirt (was wearing an older First Gear Kili jacket and the venting not as good as the newer ones) and my hair was a sweaty mess but it was still NICE - very very nice!

Heck - it could have been 100 in the shade after not getting many miles the past few days :)
    Don't know if these photos will work - never posted any before but here's a shot near the end of the ride back in town

strom_east_college.jpg

Attached Files:

JB2 likes this.
  5. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's one a couple of minutes later - I am NOT at this bar - but I wouldn't mind it much. They used to have a killer Breaded Tenderloin - the "State Sandwich" :)
    bikes_downtown.jpg
    And here's where I was sitting - and what I was doing, when I snapped the "bikes" shot

Yummm - Graham Magic on top of Blueberry Cobbler - you GOTTA come to Putnam County and try this place.

we_scream.jpg
    JB2 likes this.
  6. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joel - I figured after hogging your thread I better find my own and start it back up again. So please come and visit me over at the thread I started when I first started riding again. It is "Wandering . . . Indiana (Noob) - thanks again!
    JB2 likes this.
  7. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Been there and enjoyed the ride!
    jdfog2 likes this.
  8. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Well, after a crazy night of bad weather in Indiana today was perfect for riding. I took off about 9:30 and headed southwest toward Martinsville. It was all pretty standard until I got here.
    [​IMG]

The road turned into a combination of tarmac and gravel and eventually only gravel.
    I had been here on the SV and it was okay, but not really fun. Street tires on a street suspension were less than ideal for these conditions.
    [​IMG]

This little fella' was impersonating a rock, but he lost focus and took a look around.
    [​IMG]

Scrambler in a good place.
    [​IMG]

Indiana calls anything large enough to land a duck a lake. Not inclined to agree, but this little muddy patch is Cherry Lake. I didn't see any cherries, but what are you going to do?
    [​IMG]

I headed back north into Morgan County and things got a lot more interesting. Had a couple of "stab the foot down to stay upright" moments as some of the trails turned muddy.
    [​IMG]

I had been thinking about adding a fender extender on the front. Looks like a good idea for $30 just to keep the radiator from clogging during rides like this one.
    [​IMG]

Not much to do about the boots, but I do think a more motocross style boot would be a good idea if I were in these conditions more often.
    [​IMG]

The ride ended here... a first for me.[​IMG]

The bike handled the gravel roads really well. By the time I got done I was having to remind myself to slow down. Did not have that problem on the SV.

Good day of riding!
    JB2 likes this.
  9. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Your bike looks good in the color of mud! Glad to see you got out. We've been dodging storms and had tornadoes just north and just south of us yesterday afternoon.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    We were watching the tornados jumping all around you up there. Deb's sister is over by Taylor. Glad everyone in your area was okay.
    JB2 likes this.
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Indiana calls anything large enough to land a duck a lake." True. By Hoosier standards I have a lake in my backyard... home to a good half dozen or more ducks.

As the years march on, a few people who were a part of my life in Avon have passed over to the other side. I was in Cartersburg tonight paying my condolences to those left behind and, although I've been on Cartersburg Road many times in my life and probably rode the RD on it back in the day - I had totally forgotten what a whoo-dee-doo ride it is. Maybe parts of it were still gravel forty years ago... I don't know. But the King doesn't need a police riding course - just put it on Cartersburg Road.

I didn't know Plainfield had motorcycle cops. One of them had pulled a car over. It was a late model Road King Police Edition. I assume the trunk on the back has the battery that powers all the electronics while the engine is shut off. The cop was one lane over from me when I came to a stop. He gave me a gentlemanly wave. I'm sure he was basting like I was in the humidity. It was not comfortable sitting still.

I was focused on meeting and greeting people for the first part of the ride. And the heat was too oppressive to stop and take pictures on the way home. [Cut me some slack - I live in Minnesota where this entire week of Indiana weather constitutes an entire summer for us.] But I did stop and take one picture.

In 82 I was coming through the turn on the other side of the bridge at a reckless speed leaned over a fair ways when the peg started scraping. I didn't do that tonight on the King. Live and learn.

Attached Files:

jdfog2 likes this.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    That is a fun road--on a bike or in the Miata. :)

I like that haunted bridge shot.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and jdfog2 like this.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I forgot about the turkeys!

I scared a couple of hen turkeys in the forest preserve. I was riding, so no pictures, but at two different points a hen started running down the road ahead of me. Each launched and flew off to the left and then paralleled the road for a bit.

They are really graceful in flight.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  14. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Met up with 72 YamahaRD350 at the new Steak n' Shake in Brownsburg for food and talk this evening. He rode Elvis, his new HD Road King, down from MN to visit family and friends.

Had a lot of fun talking about bikes, skiing, our kids and a bit of everything else.
    He picked the place, apparently Steak n' Shake hasn't hit the "frozen tundra" of MN yet, so he was feeding a memory. :)

His new HD is beautiful and appropriately named after the King. [​IMG]
    Sounded really good too!

It had rained a bit while we were talking, so I got to wear my rain jacket for real this time. The local joke is to ask, "How did the storms know where to go before they build I-74?" It really does seem that the highway is the dividing line. The restaurant is just to the north of the highway and the roads were dry and clear about 100 yards after I went through the underpass. Crazy.

Fun evening!
  15. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Thanks for taking the picture. My mom will get a real kick out of it. So will my wife.

I ran across this podcast episode a few months ago. Sometimes this podcast covers motorcycle riders but most times it is more extreme than that. This particular episode is a bit of a novelty story but it is highly entertaining and I think you'll like it.

https://www.adventuresportspodcast.com/2019/02/bonus-episode-bison-encounter.html
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Great! Something to listen to tomorrow while I'm in the waiting room.

I took some others, but my bike kept getting in the way. :)
  17. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    The newest episode of ARR that interviews the creator of ADVRider is exceptionally good. I haven't listened to all of it yet but I would be surprised if anyone, rider or non-rider, didn't enjoy it.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    That’s cause everyone wants their picture taken next to Elvis. :)
    radianrider likes this.
  19. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I rode back to Minneapolis yesterday in good weather the entire way. No pictures taken in Indiana but I did spy a new set of tires being delivered for someone with a Road King.

Attached Files:

20. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    49FE409C-F985-4943-B0CB-E23E896D5056.jpeg 4420AB1E-09AD-4E40-81C9-CCCCCFB87EB3.jpeg EC5B6642-D863-49B6-BBC3-3EE82995CEB9.jpeg I did head north at Davenport along TheGreat River Road along the east side of the river so I could stop at Grant’s home in Galena. The high bluffs on both sides of the Mississippi are fantastic paved scenic riding. I nearly got carried away by gnats in Galena and it was 87F - so a tad warm - but Grant’s home is worth the stop since it contains his original furnishings.
    JB2 likes this.