Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Looks like your file did not attach properly.

Give it another try!
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI. Bass Pro/Cabelas is running a special on Spot Gen3 trackers. 50% rebate on the $149 price plus 50% off first year subscription. Flyer came while I was in Indiana. It was one piece of gear I’ve been debating so I sprung for it since my riding buddy carries every other piece of emergency gear.

My wife rode on the King with me to pick it up and she really likes the idea of it sending OK messages besides tracking position and having SOS capability. I know everyone says “what if” but I like to think that after living five decades I’ve become better at staying out of trouble. Her peace of mind is worth it.

It was her first ride on the King with the passenger backrest and grab handles. She said she was comfortable.
    JB2 likes this.
  3. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    I've been carrying a SPOT for several years now. It keeps the better half at ease when I'm on a long road trip. Plus that "Oh-Shit" button, just in case.
  4. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't, or haven't so far...stretched the legs of this bike and taken many epic trips. I hope to change that in July. I'll check into this. Thanks!

Beats the heck out of my "Oklahoma GPS."

That's where you make sure when you're riding you always wear one of those western belts with your name embossed across the back.

Then when I get lost I can pull my head out of my butt and look up and at least remember my name :p
    radianrider, 72 Yamaha RD350 and JB2 like this.
  5. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Ride Out to Greencastle, but wins are fairly strong and gusty. Banging my head around pretty good.

Currently sitting in Starbucks on the square. Working on a headache. Temp is perfect, but winds aren't.
    JB2 and jdfog2 like this.
  6. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry winds weren't favorable for good motorbiking. Was gonna hop on mine to go to work...low tire. I think I have a leak. Ug.
  7. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    P.S. Starbucks might be ok. I have never purchased anything there. But the ice cream parlor just behind Starbucks. It's fantastic! (Scoops)
    JB2 likes this.
  8. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    From headaches to brainfreeze. One of us might have to go pick him up and haul his bike home! :D
    jdfog2 likes this.
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Better than where I'm at sitting in my garage. It was 85F a few minutes ago with clear blue skies. Rain started and now radar shows thunderstorms for next two hours. At least it cooled things down. I did not ride the bike to work specifically due to these expected "Afternoon Thunderstorms - some severe". Might get 60mph winds and sizeable hail. I'll just sit here and enjoy the comfortable temperature.
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Things got a lot better (though I will remember Scoops for next time--and the brain freeze held off:1drink) and I made it home without further drama.

Actually, heading east seemed to mitigate the effect of the wind and I had a good ride back. Spent a lot of it on back roads at a slower pace and it was a good day.

Not much special in the way of pictures...just this quiet little stream the 100E and 75N junction.
    [​IMG]

And I like the way the sky shows through the open door of this old barn.
    [​IMG]

Supposed to rain here, off and on, for the next four days or so, so may find myself in 72 RD350's mode of dodging storms in order to get a ride in.

Stay safe out there, y'all.
    popscycle and JB2 like this.
  11. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Great images Joel! That barn doesn't look to have very many years left standing. I've been shooting barns for over 30 years now. I can't begin to tell you how many are no longer standing. In one sense, it is a shame. In another sense, in this stage of their life, they appear stoic and defiant of nature's wrath.
  12. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Makes me want to rescue some more wood and make an electric guitar (time to add a telecaster to the mix.) :1drink
    JB2 likes this.
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    This one is now down. Collapsed winter before last. Was one of my favorites around here.
    [​IMG]
    popscycle, JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  14. bbrz

bbrz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joel, take a ride over to Williamsport. South of downtown is the tallest waterfall in Indiana. There last weekend.
    radianrider likes this.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I was over there a couple of years ago on the SV. There was no water going over the falls at that time, so good suggestion to head back over. I really would like to see it in action.

Believe I'll figure out some time to do that this summer!
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Some of y'all need to retire or become teachers. The riding today was out of this world.

I do need to stop trying out coffee shops (Cabin Coffee in Avon, pretty good. Bran n' Shorts in Mooresville--excellent.) I headed south towards Mooresville about 9:45 this morning and spotted a coffee shop I hadn't seen before on Main St. and decided to try it.

Coffee was excellent and the cinnamon roll! Waitress said they come in at 4 a.m. to do the day's baking. Worth the effort!
    You can just see the mighty steed waiting outside the shop. Exterior of the place isn't much, but the interior is pretty cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I headed west out of town and hit Greencastle Road thinking it would make a nice day for the ride. Turns out Greencastle Rd. doesn't actually go to Greencastle. I suspect it once did, but I-70 seems to have been placed over a chunk of it.

Still, the view from the office was pretty nice. [​IMG]

Ended up in Stilesville. [​IMG]
    Spotted this barn peeking above the bushes on the way home. [​IMG]

Still, had things to do today (season some cast iron grates for my grill before fam comes for cookout this evening, and change the oil in the mower) so the ride had to end.

Not a bad place to write a report. [​IMG]
    bbrz, popscycle and JB2 like this.
  17. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Why did I not know this about you... the coffee shops? I claim to be powered by coffee and donuts. :augie Maybe because the few times we rode we didn't go near any coffee shops? Cool anyway you slice it though. Seeds for a new adventure. :thumb

Great images too, as always.
    radianrider likes this.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Still a ways from retirement. Considered getting a PhD but never wanted to be a teacher. Maybe I was too materialistic. ;)

Sorry to report I'm a coffee virgin. Just not a part of my life. I know. I'm odd. But at my current age my prostate cannot handle caffeine - I'd never pass a bathroom if I drank coffee.

I love rural Indiana - particularly southern and central. Not so much the north.

One would think that rural Minnesota would be similar... and it is in some respects... at least on the surface. There are more stately old Catholic and Lutheran churches - frequently you can see the spire of the church in the next town 5-10 miles away. The Scandinavian settlers spared no expense when it came to their edifices of worship. The craftsmanship is out of this world. And there are picturesque lakes, rivers, streams, and Lake Superior that bring peace to the landscape.

But I'm not inspired so much to ride rural Minnesota like I am in Indiana. There is a genetic connection that ties me to the southwestern quadrant of the state. Every road, every hill, every curve, every hollow - provides fulfillment. In the last few years with my dad we'd get in the car and drive backroads for 3-4 hours at a time. Carbon, Fontanet, Bee Ridge, every place between Plainfield and Terre Haute on the north and south sides of US40. It was his time machine that took him back to an earlier and simpler time. In some respects - that's what it does for me.

I'm in the final countdown to the Big Alaska Adventure. A fellow from work is going along on his 2019 Honda Africa Twin. So it will be Harley and Honda to Fairbanks. Pavement only. I'm trying to do it simple and keep the preparations down to a minimum but you can only do that for so long. At some point you have to have your sh!t together. He wants to camp so there's a tent and accoutrement to support that. Probably no ride report because I'm just not motivated for that level of responsibility for what is essentially a selfish endeavor. But I'll drop some pictures if you guys are interested. I did pick up a Spot so there will be a tracking map.

Six days.
    radianrider and JB2 like this.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Woot! Alaska!

Today's ride was almost a spiritual experience. Everything just seemed so right with the world and the bike just enhanced it.

You mentioned a few places I haven't heard of yet, but I'll go find them.
    bbrz likes this.
  20. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I usually don't find good out-the-way coffee shops, but every once in a while a good one pops up. The one in Mooresville had some excellent Kona this a.m.--with free refills! Only open from 7-2 most days, but open in on some Saturdays when there is an outdoor concert in the park.

Very laid back and friendly.

I don't think we've actually seen a coffee shop while riding together, but I'm up for it!
    JB2 likes this.