Still Wandering in Indiana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radianrider, Jul 30, 2017.

1. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Good day to ride! I borrowed my daughter's action cam and decided to try it out.

72 Yamaha mentioned that he rode Cartersburg Road while he was in IN a few weeks ago. Figured I give it a run since there is a decent coffee shop--or at least a place that has decent coffee--at the end in Danville.

I had to run the road three times since I kept screwing up the camera placement and about all you could see was the tank and the gauges. Really too bad because a really pretty red fox darted across the road ahead of me at one point and I missed getting it on video.

Seems to me that most videos tend to be very interesting to the rider, but not so much to people watching. To that end, I only included a little over two minutes.

I'll work on ways to capture the sound of the bike--it's better than the free Youtube music I used on this track.

bbrz, jdfog2 and JB2 like this.
  2. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Great video Joel! I agree with you on the music although your selection was good considering the music available in the public domain. Intense sections of road definitely deserve engine music but easy going and scenic sections are sometimes better with background music. Maybe you could string together a grouping of gnarly roads with coffee shop stops along the way for a fall ride? I'd sign up for that one! :*sip*
    radianrider likes this.
  3. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We should get together for some riding soon Joel. Got that wedding stuff done.

Nice video! I've found a new nice ride in Put. Co. recently as well as opportunities to explore additional ones.
  4. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Need to get several us together and do the gnarly roads to coffee tour :rofl
    jdfog2 and JB2 like this.
  5. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, stable video with rural Hoosier scenery.

I don’t recall if I mentioned I started on Cartersburg Rd down on US40. It’s that initial bit that is windy and hilly.

Counting down. Been tying up loose ends. Less than 48 hours. Bike is packed except for clothes. Reservations are made through exiting Anchorage to return. I alternate between “this is going to be awesome” and “WTF have I set in motion”.

Likely writing RR offline in real time and posting after return. Don’t think I want the burden of posting daily.

My wife is teaching a Kindergarten summer class so I’m taking along a teddy bear to post pictures of in various locations for her class. Might be as much commitment as I can handle.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  6. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel's Twisted Roads & Coffee House Adventure. Sign me up! :wave
  7. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So when we goin' ?
    Where we goin' ?
    How far we goin' ?
    Anyone else goin' ?
    I love murdering the English Language on an Educator's internet thread ! :jack

Seriously - I am looking forward to doing some kind of get together / riding.

I am off work the entire 4th of July week and I am trying to think up some kind of adventure.
    Thought about trying an Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 but that might be a bit too optimistic for me.
    Plus, my Iron Butt buddy is scheduled to ride in THE Iron Butt Rally (11 days, 1000 miles a day, or something like that) and he'll just be returning from that so I am not sure he'll have tires and energy left to go on a paltry lil ole 1000 mile ride with me.

So I will try to ride at least 600 miles in one day during that week. I might do that twice as "training runs."
    I was thinking of heading up to someplace about 300 miles away in Michigan and back or something like that and grabbing lunch and turning around and coming back. I figure it might be cooler than going south.
    But then again, the Smoky Mountains are always calling my name - it might be hot to get there but it would be cool riding there.

Should probably be doing that 1000 mile ride about now due to the amount of daylight and the fact that July is likely to be a lot hotter.

I may try to ride to the other side of Denver Colorado in early September. Although the days are shorter I get a couple of extra hours due to the time zone changes and westerly direction. It's 1000 miles one way. So I could take my time coming back. Unless I wanted to do the 2000 mile in two days (Butt Burner) or whatever that's called. But that would be insane for me probably. I don't have that kind of long distance experience - yet :)

Hope you all are doin' fine !
    Jay aka JD

p.s. - I probably will NOT be super slabbing it most of the time on any of those 600 mile practice rides. I hate the interstate because there's little time to "smell the roses" but it will be a neccessity if I try to do one of those 1000 mile days.
    JB2 likes this.
  8. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be safe out there 72 Yamaha RD350 !
    Have fun, but not too much fun! (As often said to me by my girlfriend's dad when I was a teenager)
  9. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Trust me. My girlfriend's dad never said that to me. That man and his wife HATED me for two solid years but I was as good as gold once I joined their church. They were barely above white trash but they treated my family like sh!t because we weren't in the same Sky Daddy tribe as them. No, I'm not bitter. ;)

I'm taking it easy. It's too big a trip to get jacked up about. Three days to Edmonton. Oil change at HD dealer. Three days to Fairbanks. Each day is ~500 miles. Six days in Alaska. Six days back. Or something like that.

The King had 319 miles on it in May when I picked it up. It should have 10,000 miles on it by July 4th. That will be my only trip for the remainder of this year.

But if you guys want to pull together an Appalachians or Michigan ride in 2020 - I'd consider that.
  10. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    @jdfog2 - "Anyone else goin' ?"

Pending the dates and free time available I'm in! 'Been murdering the English language on my thread and Joel's since 2008.

@72 Yamaha RD350 - Hard not to get hyped up before a big trip. I literally cannot sleep the night before we leave. Your itinerary is a bit aggressive even for a luxo-tourer but it can be done. I'll be anxious to read your RR when the ride is in the books. The one thing I've learned from 30+ years of long distance touring is to take a few days of low miles and never rule out breakdowns or bad weather that will throw your plans out the window. All in all you will have the time of your life and the bumps in the road, the hurdles that the journey will throw your way will become the best parts of the adventure. Good luck and most of all, have fun doing it! Ride Safe!
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I've learned over the years of doing different things to keep things in check by pacing out the preparation and leading an entirely normal life up until go time. This is such a long trip that there's nothing you can do to get there quickly so just be cool and take it easy. I was never much of a sprinter in jr high track but I was a halfway decent endurance runner. That tends to be my operating mode - steady, consistency.

My buddy on this trip took today off and I'm sure he's going to be crazy by the time we leave at 2pm tomorrow.

The important part for me is to stop every single hour to get off the bike for 10 minutes and to find something to do adjacent to lunch time that keeps me off the bike for 1-2 hours. If I can do that then 250 miles before lunch and 250 miles after lunch is a reasonable pace. Despite being on vastly different bikes we both have about the same fuel range which helps.

I don't know how he is going to do on the Africa Twin. And neither does he but he has done multiple three hour segments without stopping. With the stops thrown in I suspect he'll make it. If not, he'll turn around or we'll mutually decide to scale it back. Technically, we have five days of cushion built into the schedule for when we absolutely need to be back. I prefer to pretend we are going to have completely perfect weather for 20 days straight. =) But he's in a Stich Roadcrafter and I have enough rain gear to see me through several hundred miles of downpour. The main concern is the temperature dip that comes with the rain. I prefer mine to be a warm rain.
    JB2 likes this.
  12. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    I have a trip with a fellow ADV'er planned for late September to Wyoming/Montana/South Dakota. Having been caught in the first snow storm of the year there in 2015, in early September, we're planning a few snow days into our schedule. Blue skies and warm weather make for a great trip if you're traveling with your wife but that aside, it will be the crappy days that rush back in your memories when retelling the adventure. Don't ask me why. Your Africa Twin rider should do well. I've heard a lot of good about those bikes. The Road King has already proved itself worthy of the trip. Nothing but adventure awaits. Best!

[​IMG]
  13. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Ha! Never should have told you guys what I do for a living!

Jay, my daughter lives in LA and we don't get to see her often. She and her husband will be here for 10 days or so around July 4th, so riding time will be limited. I'll get in touch once I have a better sense of the schedule around her visit and see if we can work something out for day trip or something!

And Jim, we need to do something to replace our plans to head to TN before fall.

72 Yamaha--ummm, kinda' on your own since AK is a bit much for me! Be safe, have fun and keep a journal--can't wait to hear about the adventure!
    JB2 likes this.
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    You know she's going to lie to her friends and co-workers about where she went for ten days. No way is a Los Angel-ite going to admit to spending ten vacation days in Avon, Indiana. Hell, I'm from there and I wouldn't even cop to that.

Hey, I'm going to the Wal-mart territory within Alaska. It's the outside Wal-mart territory of BC and the Yukon that is the challenge.

Frankly, I'm hoping for an utterly boring trip with not a single enchanting tale to tell. I'll be completely satisfied with the infinite landscape.
    JB2 likes this.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    You'd be right about LA if it were Los Angeles. She lives in Louisana---so Avon looks better!
    JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  16. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, well. I spent 58 years believing "LA" stood for "Lower Alabama"
    (Ok, not really. Maybe) :lol3
  17. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A little "moist" out today here in West Central Indiana
    I am bored so I think I will get in the cage and go over to Terre Haute to the biggest motorcycle shop I've been to in Indiana (so far anyway)
    It's odd that I bought my Strom there and they quoted the "MSRP" on their website while a large and very established shop in Indy advertised a much lower price but when I tried to make a deal there the price "out the door" ended up being a bit more than the Terre Haute place.

I guess that's how they draw you in where they are in a competitive market (Indy/Central Indiana) while the Terre Haute place only has the Harley place to compete with. I suspect they do very well at that because the Terre Haute place usually has a LOT of Harleys in their showroom even though that actual Harley place in less than a mile away.

Ok - that's all more than you guys probably wanted to know :)
    Over and out.
    Jay
    JB2 likes this.
  18. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    You got it out of the way and no harm. That'll do.

Link worked!

Be safe and have fun.
  20. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Glad it worked.

I am taking notes every night for a future RR but I think one has to be on a slower pace to spend time crafting a good RR. Besides, it will allow me to re-live the trip.

Highlights from yesterday:
    National Buffalo Museum in Jamestown ND
    Heavy rain outside Jamestown
    Detoured unintentionally but missed more rain
    Club sandwich in a remote ND town where everyone stared at us the entire time and old waitress was less than friendly but the sandwich was good.
    Shortly after stopping to take a picture of a Minuteman missile silo I decided to increase from +2-3mph over the limit to +10 to catch us up to a group of riders who passed us. Cop flashed his lights at us but did not pursue us to write a ticket.
    The group stopped after us and we passed them but they caught up to us at the border crossing. Twin Cities Victory Riders going to Anchorage/Homer. We rode with them into Estevan for dinner and hotel room.

BTW: Nobody told this part of Canada that coal is dead.